Nike releases woman's US World Cup jerseys, our national colors apparently are now black, neon yellow and white

It's a shame the blue jersey isn't carbon instead of blue. It's time to move forward people, gosh. Having decent jerseys is so yesterday man, it's just toooooooooo mainstream dudes. Red, white and blue is so boring. Black, white and volt is still too simple. They needed carbon like cars need gasoline. Come on, the front of the jerseys should at least have #NikeSwag in camouflage where the usual advertisement would go. The white jersey would have been so much better if Nike went all out in solid monochrome VOLT. Just VOLT the whole damn thing and don't stop. These are awesome and I couldn't be happier!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame the blue jersey isn't carbon instead of blue. It's time to move forward people, gosh. Having decent jerseys is so yesterday man, it's just toooooooooo mainstream dudes. Red, white and blue is so boring. Black, white and volt is still too simple. They needed carbon like cars need gasoline. Come on, the front of the jerseys should at least have #NikeSwag in camouflage where the usual advertisement would go. The white jersey would have been so much better if Nike went all out in solid monochrome VOLT. Just VOLT the whole damn thing and don't stop. These are awesome and I couldn't be happier!

How about a giant volt eagle where the feathers spell out "F--K THE COUNTRY UP NORTH"? 'Cause, you know, it's in Canada.

How about a giant volt eagle where the feathers spell out "F--K THE COUNTRY UP NORTH"? 'Cause, you know, it's in Canada.

Well, Nike's already gone this far. :P

But really nike did do a good job of using the colors from that new flag Murica is think of flying

GCJajlQ.jpg

All in all, solid B+.

Nah, B+ isn't good enough. That deserves an A+++. XD

The Volt is symbolic of the iconic overhangs of Husky Stadium, who's team plays against the iconic Oregon Ducks who occasionally wear the iconic Nike colors.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The worst thing in my eyes is that they are copying the Mexican Men's team

I know! Cracks me up that both the USA and Mexico ditched their traditional colors just to end up with the same thing. Like two archrivals showing up to prom wearing the same dress.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Not my preference, but to be fair, it's not like there isn't a precedent for countries having uniforms that don't use their flag's colors. Isn't Italy known as "the Azzurri"?

Lots of countries don't use their national colors in their flags. Italy and Ireland's national colors are both blue. Brazil's is yellow, even though that's the least prominent color on their flag. Nederland is orange because of the royal family.

We happen to be one of those nations whose national colors are in the flag.

spacer.png

Trash from Nike, via an interview with USA Today:

Charlie Brooks, Nike’s vice president of North America communications, defended the company’s decision to go with this style.

“Not every team pays homage to the flag,” he said. “Take Germany’s kit for example, world champions. The German flag is yellow, red and black. The kit is white with black trim on it. I understand people asking about the colors, but there’s also that level of not all national teams have to represent the flag.”

Brooks explained Nike wanted the uniforms to “paint inspiration for the team itself, something crisp, stylish, sharp, strong and impactful, like the team itself.” But when people see a team dressed in black, yellowish-green and aqua, they’ll wonder, “Which country is that?”

The feedback from the team has been positive, however.

“They’re stoked,” Brooks said. “They love the uniforms.”

Abby Wambach called them “stunning.”

Trash from Nike, via an interview with USA Today:

Charlie Brooks, Nikes vice president of North America communications, defended the companys decision to go with this style.

Not every team pays homage to the flag, he said. Take Germanys kit for example, world champions. The German flag is yellow, red and black. The kit is white with black trim on it. I understand people asking about the colors, but theres also that level of not all national teams have to represent the flag.

Brooks explained Nike wanted the uniforms to paint inspiration for the team itself, something crisp, stylish, sharp, strong and impactful, like the team itself. But when people see a team dressed in black, yellowish-green and aqua, theyll wonder, Which country is that?

The feedback from the team has been positive, however.

Theyre stoked, Brooks said. They love the uniforms.

Abby Wambach called them stunning.

But when the team has worn the colors of the flag for its entire existence, it is an issue, IMO.

I remember editing the fake USA team from the Pro Evolution soccer games, and making their kits funky. One time I edited the kit to be the same colors as the Bucs, the creamsicle jersey with red-orange trim. Team USA Bucs!

spacer.png

Archived