NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

45 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Milwaukee would be the smallest four-team market by a significant margin. I think Denver is the smallest now, and Denver isn't terribly small. A fourth team this late in the game would be spreading resources pretty thin, as much as I'd like to see Milwaukee in the NHL. I don't even know who would step forward to own a team. The league had Allen-Bradley money knocking at the door circa 1991 and said no.

Quebec City has done everything right and has everything a team needs. However, hockey fans on reddit and HFboards are just enraptured by the idea of Dallas and Houston having a  hockey rivalry. From what I can tell, nothing has ever made their hearts swell more than imagining a Dallas-Houston game. It would be the most important thing that has ever happened to the NHL, Dallas playing Houston. I should go post on CFL forums talking about how the world can wait no longer for Montreal to play Quebec in football.

Clearly the answer is to pull a Rays and have the first half of the season in Houston, then move them to Quebec for the end.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Quebec City has done everything right and has everything a team needs. However, hockey fans on reddit and HFboards are just enraptured by the idea of Dallas and Houston having a  hockey rivalry. From what I can tell, nothing has ever made their hearts swell more than imagining a Dallas-Houston game. It would be the most important thing that has ever happened to the NHL, Dallas playing Houston. I should go post on CFL forums talking about how the world can wait no longer for Montreal to play Quebec in football.

Oddly enough, much like the Sunbelt NHL teams, you'd have to compete with college university football for that dream as well.

IbjBaeE.png

On 12/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Mormons get involved in true crime more often than Jews.

...among others. I've never picked up on many Jewish serial killers, weird murderers, or cult leaders.

Umm, one of the biggest ones-- this guy?

son-of-sam-david-berkowitz-mug-shot-1977 mh-mv5bmjc1mduxnwetn2i4ni00owq1lwfizwytz

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Umm, one of the biggest ones-- this guy?

son-of-sam-david-berkowitz-mug-shot-1977 mh-mv5bmjc1mduxnwetn2i4ni00owq1lwfizwytz

Well, he’s pretty much the only one. Also, he converted in one of the more blatant plays for sympathy by one of these guys.

spacer.png

It’s as cringe-inducing as reading the Israel Keyes suicide note or Jodi Arias’ phone sex transcript.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

However, hockey fans on reddit and HFboards are just enraptured by the idea of Dallas and Houston having a  hockey rivalry. From what I can tell, nothing has ever made their hearts swell more than imagining a Dallas-Houston game. It would be the most important thing that has ever happened to the NHL, Dallas playing Houston.

always knew Houston was a Reddit-tier city.

• Like 3

53Ocz8U.png

Calgary isn't letting Glendale have all the arena fun. A twitter thread from  Calgary's mayor, who was on city council when the arena deal was made and was elected mayor a couple months ago, says CSEC intends to pull the plug on the arena deal (over $9.7 million dollars according to her).

Today, I spoke with Murray Edwards, primary shareholder of Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corp (CSEC), about the future of the Event Centre project.
He informed me of the Flames intention to pull the plug on the Event Centre deal.
Why? Here’s what I know:

The deal struck in summer of 2019 envisioned a $550 m deal w/costs split equally between CSEC & the City. In addition, the City provided land, 90% demolition of the ‘Dome, excess flood/site remediation, & levies. Total City contribution: $275m + $22.4m = $297.4 plus land.

Plus the value of the land. I supported that deal. In July 2021, CSEC asked to make changes to the above deal. CMLC removed as devel manager, both parties added $12.5m for potential cost overruns & City added up to $10m in event management costs.
Total value: $307.4 + land

I did not support that deal.
Since I was elected Mayor, Administration & my office have been working with CSEC to mitigate any additional costs. Two costs were identified: climate mitigation of around $4m and road/sidewalk right of way issues of $12.1m.

The City came to the table to assist with $6.4m in roadways leaving $9.7m for the Flames. Based on this gap, CSEC informed me they are walking away from our deal.

On a project worth over $650m, to have one party walk away for 1.5% of the value of the deal is staggering.

I wanted Calgarians to be the first to know. I am as disappointed as all of you that this is the way things are ending.

Houston Flames baybee! The new arena deal wouldn't have them leaving the Saddledome for another four or five years anyways, and I don't think groundbreaking is close either, so I guess Edwards and CSEC are trying to see if they can squeeze some money out of/re-enter negotiations with a new mayor and city council.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

On 12/20/2021 at 5:39 PM, the admiral said:

However, hockey fans on reddit and HFboards are just enraptured by the idea of Dallas and Houston having a  hockey rivalry. From what I can tell, nothing has ever made their hearts swell more than imagining a Dallas-Houston game. It would be the most important thing that has ever happened to the NHL, Dallas playing Houston. 

Houston vs. Dallas in the NHL would be a sham.   It's non-existent in the NFL, and it took close to 30 years for one to start in the MLB, and things didn't heat up until both were in the same division in 2013.  It's lessened in the NBA due to the presence of San Antonio.  

I have been told that Dallas playing hockey games against Houston would grow the game more than anything else has ever grown the game. I mean, both of these cities are in the state of Texas, for crying out loud. Does that mean nothing to you?

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, BBTV said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how is Milwaukee considered Chicago's territory? 

Wasn't there a rule from the original six days that teams had territorial rights to everything within 200 miles of their home arena? Milwaukee is only 90 from Chicago, and I was told that's why Bill Wirtz tried to extort extra money from the potential Milwaukee owners.

To the point about the Wild... they're on tv in Milwaukee because FS Wisconsin was spun off from FS North which is based out of Minnesota. But I can promise that of anyone in Milwaukee gives a flying f--k about the Wild, they probably came from Minnesota. The NHL fanbase in Milwaukee is currently split between the Blackhawks and Predators with a smattering of Red Wings fans from Upper Michigan/Northern Wisconsin.

But if ever there was a time for the NHL to come to Milwaukee, it was the 90s. Back when the Admirals regularly outdrew the Bucks, and it probably would have culminated in the Bucks leaving town. Now? No way would the World Champion Bucks allow some NHL team to trapse in on their turf. 

39 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

wait I think we're ignoring a pretty big elephant in the room here

why does Milwaukee have so many Preds fans?

The Admirals have been the Preds top farm club ever since the Preds became a thing. Probably also helps that within that time, the Nashville Sounds have mostly been a Brewers affiliate.  I also think a lot of fans who are old enough to remember Bill Wirtz's stunt can't stomach the idea of rooting for the Blackhawks.

Then there's the younger hockey fans who don't remember the politics of the early 90s NHL and grew up seeing the Hawks winning Stanley Cups rather than being terrible. That's when I started to notice their sweaters popping up in Milwaukee.

Me? I was a North Stars fan, because I started watching the NHL the last year they made the Stanley Cup finals (also when I learned the Admirals weren't a NHL team... it was like finding out Santa wasn't real. But I digress). But then they moved and I wasn't gonna root for a Dallas team. So the Nordiques became my team. Then they moved. I haven't been able to choose a hockey team ever since. But who knows? Maybe living long enough in Chicago will make me a Hawks fan.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Maybe living long enough in Chicago will make me a Hawks fan.

You're going to have to wait a while before it feels OK to be a Hawks fan.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I haven't been able to choose a hockey team ever since. But who knows? Maybe living long enough in Chicago will make me a Hawks fan.

Given the :censored: that organization's been hit with over the last year, may want to look somewhere else lmao

• Like 2