Atlanta Hawks -- 2015 rebranding

j'villejags

If any team, volt would have possibly worked with the Bucks depending on what other colors they used with it. It doesn't work with a team that is going back to red and black and used to have yellow. Now it just looks like a knock off jersey trying to sub volt in for yellow.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i realized the reason i dislike the lime green so much is that it was used as a trendy color. more specifically, it's playing off the success of Nike's Volt color. the problem with this trend is that Volt will die off at any moment now. it only takes 1 change from Nike (say, on an Oregon uniform) to alter the direction of sports color trends and leave the Hawks with an instantly "old" uniform.

Lime green is just a color like any other color. Even if it stops being "trendy," that doesn't mean teams can't use it effectively.

It also makes sense for the Hawks in particular because they have a history of using it.

not if a particular color carries certain conotations (Nike color) during a specifc time period. especially when it is implemented at the end of a trend's life. it is cemented in time as the rest of the design world moves on and i think in a few years we will look back and say "remember when volt was cool? why does ATL still think it is". that's when this uniform loses it's cool factor. it doesn't matter that lime was a part of the identity a long time ago, because it hasn't been for many years. they're targeting a >30 crowd and the assotiation they have with it is "Nike Volt". a color they could find on a t-shirt to hook with their kicks when they go to the gym. going back to nostalgic elements is great but i don't think they could have picked a worse time to implement this color.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Volt should have been in use by the TB Lightning since inception. True highlighter-yellow should be in their pallet right now, along with the blue and black.

No, their original scheme was perfect. Just should have had blue prominent over black.

I feel like the explanation of the Hawks changes could have been done so much better from a marketing standpoint.

For example: The Hawks were only green, and a VERY DIFFERENT green (more of a Seattle green), for one season. They wore yellow for three decades. If anything, the Hawks pitch to the fans should have been "this new color is a literal infusion of the Hawks green and yellow used throughout the team's history). I would have eaten that up, but instead Koonin basically said, "We brought back the lime green from the 70s." That was used for one season...why choose to honor such a blip in the team's history when the more logical explanation for the exact color is right in front of your face? And to call it "Volt Green" when it's more yellow, anyway, and basically stealing a Nike term is just...eh...I hated the delivery of the rebrand.

I also still cannot get over how much the primary logo, which has white negative space in it, clashes with the three-deep color scheme on the team graphics already. I'm wondering how the new court will look, considering this. The roundel is so classy, simple...the uniforms so cutting edge and whacky. It's almost like the Hawks had two separate brands on the table and instead of picking one, settled for both.

Am I the only one that thinks these are a complete miss? Between the color scheme and trianges and lack of "HAWKS" on any one jersey, I think these are awful.

hawks is on the shorts, they don't need to be on the jerseys

So they could've put Hawks on the home jersey and Atlanta on the home shorts. Their home fans know what city they play in. Sometimes it's nice to break up monotony.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Am I the only one that thinks these are a complete miss? Between the color scheme and trianges and lack of "HAWKS" on any one jersey, I think these are awful.

I gotta agree. Too much volt (especially numbers), Atlanta and stupid ATL wordmarks but no Hawks, shorts design, weird triangles, mix and match shorts. I only like the return to pacman...

I gotta agree. Too much volt (especially numbers), Atlanta and stupid ATL wordmarks but no Hawks, shorts design, weird triangles, mix and match shorts. I only like the return to pacman...

Thirded. All around.

For what it's worth, these jerseys look so much better in person than they do on TV or online.

The Volt Green in regular lighting does look more green than yellow. It's not as 'loud' as some make it out to be. The color scheme is geared towards the younger generation, both in the form of apparel and how it looks on TV and video games.

As for the primary logo....remember, it was unveiled (as a secondary logo) in the 2014 playoffs. Couldn't use the now-new colors then. But, it gives us options for merchandise. For those that just want the red/white logo, you can go that route. And for those that want the green and granite, the logo can be colored. The polo shirts they gave us are granite and use volt in the white part of the logo (and volt where the buttons are on the chest), and some red on the cuffs of the sleeves.

uni_mixmatch.jpg

These make for OK practice jerseys. On court during an actual NBA game, it's just low class amateurism. The Clippers fiasco looks great by comparison. And what is that A in ATL? It looks like a dinosaur with it's neck turned. Perhaps a Jurassic World shout out. But in this case, it's Ghetto World.

uni_mixmatch.jpg

These make for OK practice jerseys. On court during an actual NBA game, it's just low class amateurism. The Clippers fiasco looks great by comparison. And what is that A in ATL? It looks like a dinosaur with it's neck turned. Perhaps a Jurassic World shout out. But in this case, it's Ghetto World.

You know, after giving it a second look, I'm kinda comin' around on these duds...

...nah, I'm really not.

I don't get the hate towards the A in the ATL wordmark on the alt jersey. It's one of the things that makes it. Also, these would look so much better with the old hawk head secondary logo instead of the Pac-Man. The love for it is just beyond me.

Like I said before just cudos to the hawks for trying something bold instead of downsizing to some lame, non offensive raptors-type getup, as has been the trend recently. And there is NO WAY you can say that clippers crap is better than this with a straight face

The mismatched jersey/shorts look is pretty bad. But overall, these uniforms are unique and refreshing. My main gripe with the volt is that it looks yellow in 60% of the pictures I see it in.

That being said, I absolutely cannot emphasize enough how terrible the most recent Hawks set was. From day one I hated them. Especially the awful fat, pointy, white collar on the back of the neck. I vaguely remember throwing up in my mouth when I first saw that. Throw in the baffling random piping and a bland color scheme and you have a bottom 3 set in the NBA.

Jeff+Teague+Atlanta+Hawks+v+Chicago+Bull

The new black/red/volt look is nothing but a substantial upgrade

90758391980.gif

Gotta disagree. Other than the color scheme, that uniform set was nice when it first came out. I always thought the side panels were a subtle, modernized tribute to both this and this.

Of course, Adidas ruined it in the switch to Rev30, getting rid of the unique collar design and the beveled numbers. Then the Hawks completed the ruination by abruptly deciding to wear the city name at home.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived