Atlanta Hawks -- 2015 rebranding

j'villejags

here's Rodney Richardson of RARE Design talking a bit abot the uniforms : http://www.nba.com/hawks/video/teams/hawks/2015/06/24/BACKGROUNDONUNIFORMDESIGNmov-3629427

i really admire Rodney and what i wouldn't give to have an hour of his time to just talk about design; i just dont like these uniforms. yea, you can be trendy if you're always going to be trendy. that's how Oregon makes it work and stays ahead of the trends. everyone else though thinks you do it one time and throw whatever alterates in you want and it will get stronger, but it just gets weaker. it's hard to be as good as Oregon to start with, and i dont think the Hawks have a great foundation to begin such a legacy. the logos are good, but uni wise, i dont see anything worth keeping.

that said, i hope they sell the :censored: out these jerseys every year and prove me wrong.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them this year. And maybe the year after that. Just as I'm sure that the design isn't made to sell five, ten years from now. Planned Obsolescence has hit sports uniforms.

I made that point in a different thread (about the Clippers new logo), but the more I think about it, it's really nothing new. The NBA has had all kinds of wacky uniforms -- the green Hawks, the thunderbolt Pistons, the rainbow Nuggets -- and they also spent an entire decade doing all kinds of crazy logos, uniforms and court designs.

While I hate what college football has become, I think this current run of new logos and uniforms is well suited to the NBA. Among the big four, it's the most accepting of weird ideas.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread or elsewhere in the CCSLC, but I was wondering if someone by chance had vector images of the new Atlanta Hawks uniforms, front and back? I'd appreciate it if the person that had vector images of the new unis could post them to this thread. Thank you.

To quote Danny Ferry, the color scheme is a little too African for me. Like it should be on the ANC party placard.

Irregardless to that, just doesn't work on an established NBA franchise.

You're definitely going to make things interesting around here.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

To quote Danny Ferry, the color scheme is a little too African for me. Like it should be on the ANC party placard.

Irregardless to that, just doesn't work on an established NBA franchise.

Then in today's post he tried to make it a race thing and I stopped listening.

In all fairness, the Hawks have explicitly stated their goal to appeal to their black fanbase in their presentation of games. It's not inconceivable that the new uniform design is part of that outreach. I would love to read brand-speak that tried to incorporate those kinds of explanations.

I get that, and I'm honestly not trying to open up a can of worms on this thread or anything. But the idea that a certain race would like the jerseys more than another is just a stupid thing to say, and that's the argument that he brought up.

just because it needs to be said again

i realized the reason i dislike the lime green so much is that it was used as a trendy color. more specifically, it's playing off the success of Nike's Volt color. the problem with this trend is that Volt will die off at any moment now. it only takes 1 change from Nike (say, on an Oregon uniform) to alter the direction of sports color trends and leave the Hawks with an instantly "old" uniform.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i realized the reason i dislike the lime green so much is that it was used as a trendy color. more specifically, it's playing off the success of Nike's Volt color. the problem with this trend is that Volt will die off at any moment now. it only takes 1 change from Nike (say, on an Oregon uniform) to alter the direction of sports color trends and leave the Hawks with an instantly "old" uniform.

For this team though, it does sort of become part of their narrative. It's effectively a combination of two colors they've used in the past, lime green and athletic gold. It also sets them apart as the NBA's "whacky" team, the same organization that had red/black gradient uniforms with a big Hawk on them. I think it works for them if they use it right.

Lime green is just a color like any other color. Even if it stops being "trendy," that doesn't mean teams can't use it effectively.

It also makes sense for the Hawks in particular because they have a history of using it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Volt should have been in use by the TB Lightning since inception. True highlighter-yellow should be in their pallet right now, along with the blue and black.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived