Atlanta Hawks -- 2015 rebranding

j'villejags

There are some elements that I like and others that I think are pretty awful. As is often the case with new uniforms these days, there is potential for a really nice look here but it fell short of the mark.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are close to perfect. A few changes:

Swap the stupid volt out for yellow

Different number font

Different wordmark font

"Hawks" on home jersey

Either have the triangle pattern on the entire shorts or leave it off the jersey

Add sleeve and collar trim, lose the WNBA collar

Never mismatch the shorts and jerseys

Lose the belt logo which is both horrible and gigantic

So, outside of a handful of really drastic blunders which make these awful, they're really good.

(**)(*.5)(*) (*) (*)

So in other words, you hate them. Good input.

Yep. I buried the lede. Just for you.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Volt comes across as a modern version of them integrating the green or yellow again, why do only one when you can do both and make yourself have the most unique identity in the 5 major sports? Neon colors are in these days with people, so this only furthers how good this move is. The whole uniform is really cool and totally unique, and uniqueness has been lacking in the NBA for a long time. The Volt could just be yellow, but that would be too easy wouldn't it? It's run of the mill, been there, done that type stuff. They won't make themselves notable with it because it's just another thing, you know?

Also, the jerseys don't need to say Hawks on the front either as it would defeat the purpose of the entire uniform saying ATLANTA HAWKS from top to bottom.

bSLCtu2.png

So I've thought more about these, and I still love them. I really shouldn't, they go against everything I like in uniforms, but damnit these are some sharp unis. Very well done.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

i actually love these. my only complaint is that there isn't a jersey that says "hawks", just like my only complaint with philly's rebrand is that both primaries said "phila"

hawks: 9/10

76ers: 9/10

bucks: 7/10 (like the design but not the colors)

clippers: feces/10

now we wait for toronto...

The basis for the development of the new secondary logo:

trampstamp.png

I heard it was this...

aerosmith-logo_155803-1920x1200.jpg

Nailed it.

I couldn't think of what that trash logo was reminding me off. But Aerosmith is spot on. Trashy tattoo for a trashy logo. It truly is terrible. This is a train wreck.

I really like these jerseys, except for the ugly and horrible volt colour. That volt and red combination seriously makes me feel like throwing up, that's how much I hate that combination. Had that been yellow instead, these jerseys would be amazing.

Volt looks best as an accent to dark colors. Black and Navy the best. I think having the numbers in volt instead of just outlining them in it like the wordmark on every jersey is overkill and doesn't look good.

Agreed. Wish they'd gone with an outline. Rough job, but would have liked this better:

FOaqv6K.pngESehRJI.pngVoD9uPx.png

See this looks sooo much better.

It's not that I LOVE this jersey, I think it's a pretty good update. But I'm just so happy there's a team that throws this crazy stuff out there. I'm just sick of teams downgrading to these lifeless, ultra simple sets. Bravo to the hawks for putting something out that's interesting and fresh, even if its a little crazy.

FOR THE LAST TIME ITS NOT GREEN! ITS NOT NEON GREEN!!! STOP CALLING IT NEON GREEN!!!!!

Volt is Electric/neon/highlighter YELLOW. /rant

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, the miss information is killing me.

It's not neon or highlighter either apparently.

Honestly this rebrand seems to be a case where the sum is better than the parts.

If you told me assumetry/yellow-green/sublimated triangles, were gonna be thrown together I would've told you they were gonna suck. But this rebrand is surprisingly really nice.

If they actually go forward with the mix and match I don't think it'll be that crazy only because it almost has precedent with the 90s gradient uniforms.

I think Paul Lukas wrapped it up well saying that this is more of a current fashion jersey than a timeless jersey. I disagree with him in that I do kind of like it, but that does make sense to me. Walk into any sporting goods store and look around, everything is highlighter neon colored. The reason the Hawks' primary logo doesn't reflect this is because they will probably change again in 5-6 years. But screw it, why not take the chance to do this now?

Then in today's post he tried to make it a race thing and I stopped listening.

In all fairness, the Hawks have explicitly stated their goal to appeal to their black fanbase in their presentation of games. It's not inconceivable that the new uniform design is part of that outreach. I would love to read brand-speak that tried to incorporate those kinds of explanations.

PJU85JF.png

I think Paul Lukas wrapped it up well saying that this is more of a current fashion jersey than a timeless jersey. I disagree with him in that I do kind of like it, but that does make sense to me. Walk into any sporting goods store and look around, everything is highlighter neon colored. The reason the Hawks' primary logo doesn't reflect this is because they will probably change again in 5-6 years. But screw it, why not take the chance to do this now?

Yeah these are not built to last. This is very flavor of the month and they'll have to change again in a few years.

And that pattern reminds me of an Umbro soccer jersey from the mid 90's. I don't like it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In all fairness, the Hawks have explicitly stated their goal to appeal to their black fanbase in their presentation of games. It's not inconceivable that the new uniform design is part of that outreach. I would love to read brand-speak that tried to incorporate those kinds of explanations.

I get that, and I'm honestly not trying to open up a can of worms on this thread or anything. But the idea that a certain race would like the jerseys more than another is just a stupid thing to say, and that's the argument that he brought up.

Just read the article. There's no need to create a timeless design when creating a sports uniform, imo. It's more about creating a unique brand that helps a team stand out and sell merchandise to fans. There's nothing wrong with being trendy (as the Hawks have been for a lot of their existence). The Hawks pac logo is definitely timeless tho. It looks good across the multiple uniforms it's been apart of. As long as the Hawks can maintain that identity, why not try riskier things with uniforms?

After all, basketball is a game. It's meant to be fun. Everyone has different tastes, but we all have to realize that at the end of the day, a sports team taking a visual risk isn't the end of the world.

Archived