MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Phillies change baffles me.

Are they implying that the alt jersey shipped with an inaccurate script, so they had Majestic alter the primary jerseys to match the inaccuracy?  If so, that's absurd.

Or are they saying that the alt jersey is actually right, so now that their jerseys don't match, they decided to "Correct" the primaries?

I think both the previous primary script and the alt script were each correct in their own right.  The alt script, though, has an extra blue outline between the red text and white outline that the primary does not.  Given that extra outline, the alt script was a little bigger that the primary script.  In order to make them match size-wise overall, the Phillies essentially took the alt script, made the blue outline red to match the text, and there's your new primary script.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Phillies change baffles me.

Are they implying that the alt jersey shipped with an inaccurate script, so they had Majestic alter the primary jerseys to match the inaccuracy?  If so, that's absurd.

Or are they saying that the alt jersey is actually right, so now that their jerseys don't match, they decided to "Correct" the primaries?

It does look really bad. They went the opposite direction of what they should've done, which is get thinner and more closely match the whiz kids uniforms. I very much prefer the P on those hats too. The Phillies looked like they forgot their jerseys and had to express rush a bunch of replicas into Cincinnati in time for Opening Day. 

I don't want to say the road uniforms are dated because I think if you wear something long enough it can become timeless, but I watched every game in that opening series and it just really struck me how stale those uniforms are. I think they'd benefit from losing the white-red-white sleeve cuffs. It tries to match the pants stripe, but the proportions are all off. They should take the pants stripe exactly as it is and use it on the sleeves as piping, not as a cuff. 

I wouldn't hate if they just went back to maroon. That color isn't used in baseball and the Phillies, like the Padres, like the Brewers have a past look that people really seem to respond to. It's somewhat surprising they haven't tried to implement the maroon swirly P look more. You're tuned into Philadelphia sports, do you think the Phillies could get away with a once a week maroon throwback? Would you want them to? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Shameless self-plug alert: I made this concept a while ago, but I think it works well as an update of the maroon-era Phillies. It uses the current uniform template, along with the Padres 2004-2011 number font (which I felt fit with the script's aesthetic style):

11343367416_d5f0a74233_b.jpg

I also tried to create a middle ground between the red and maroon shades on an updated Whiz Kids set that disposed of some of the lesser elements of the current set (i.e. that number font and cap logo):

20664866651_e4a9c4f7dd_b.jpg

I'd love for the Phillies to entertain the maroon-era a lot more, albeit only as an alternate/with an incorporation into a Whiz Kids-esque set.

Light blue was never one of their colors, and shouldn't be introduced now.

50's era in maroon would work fine - provided no white on the road.

The 70s - 80s set with full script on the front is not good.  It looks OK on the road, but not on the home with the pinstripes - I don't know why, it just doesn't work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It does look really bad. They went the opposite direction of what they should've done, which is get thinner and more closely match the whiz kids uniforms. I very much prefer the P on those hats too. The Phillies looked like they forgot their jerseys and had to express rush a bunch of replicas into Cincinnati in time for Opening Day. 

Agreed.  Wholeheartedly.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I don't want to say the road uniforms are dated because I think if you wear something long enough it can become timeless, but I watched every game in that opening series and it just really struck me how stale those uniforms are. I think they'd benefit from losing the white-red-white sleeve cuffs. It tries to match the pants stripe, but the proportions are all off. They should take the pants stripe exactly as it is and use it on the sleeves as piping, not as a cuff. 

I wouldn't hate if they just went back to maroon. That color isn't used in baseball and the Phillies, like the Padres, like the Brewers have a past look that people really seem to respond to. It's somewhat surprising they haven't tried to implement the maroon swirly P look more. You're tuned into Philadelphia sports, do you think the Phillies could get away with a once a week maroon throwback? Would you want them to? 

I've had season tickets to the eagles and phillies since 2001 and I think the fans would love to see the 80's uniforms back from time to time. The fat 'P' logo is too good to never use. You also see tons of fans wearing the old stuff at games too so I think it would be welcomed.  If i was the manager I would also FORCE everyone to wear stirrups with those uni's- haha

87-phillies.jpg

Phillies.gif

12 minutes ago, usulkane said:

I've had season tickets to the eagles and phillies since 2001 and I think the fans would love to see the 80's uniforms back from time to time. The fat 'P' logo is too good to never use. You also see tons of fans wearing the old stuff at games too so I think it would be welcomed.  If i was the manager I would also FORCE everyone to wear stirrups with those uni's- haha

87-phillies.jpg

Phillies.gif

As much as I like the current uniforms for their resemblance to the uniforms of Richie Ashburn, Robin Roberts, and Jim Konstanty, I would say that the above look is the definitive Phillies look, and that it should be brought back.

No zippers. And no powder blue on the road.

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.

But that maroon colour, that P logo, and that number font are what this team should be using.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I went to a Phillies Spring Training game just over a week ago and was looking for the maroon hat.  I was disappointed that they didn't have them.  I already own the current cap.

At the risk of making a post that belongs in unpopular opinions, the popularity of the current era Phillies set has always baffled me. I hate the dorky marshmallow-ey numbers, I hate said numbers on the sleeves, and I hate the way the pinstripes render the jersey into a sickly pink hue from a distance. Never going to happen, but count me in for a maroon renaissance.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

At the risk of making a post that belongs in unpopular opinions, the popularity of the current era Phillies set has always baffled me. I hate the dorky marshmallow-ey numbers, I hate said numbers on the sleeves, and I hate the way the pinstripes render the jersey into a sickly pink hue from a distance. Never going to happen, but count me in for a maroon renaissance.

I think their popularity is beginning to fade. There's a sizable proportion of people clamoring for a return to the maroon-era uniforms, and another sizable contingent wanting uniforms closer to what the Whiz Kids wore (which I personally prefer).

The current Phils' unis probably gained a lot of fans from resembling the Whiz Kids uniforms. But at this point, the marshmallow-ey font and awful cuff stripes look painfully dated, and the gigantic white outlines never looked good, and ceased serving any purpose with the advent of HDTV. I like the red color, though they'd probably be well served by making the pinstripes a little thicker.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Shameless self-plug alert: I made this concept a while ago, but I think it works well as an update of the maroon-era Phillies. It uses the current uniform template, along with the Padres 2004-2011 number font (which I felt fit with the script's aesthetic style):

I love this. I am very aware that red has more history with the Phillies than maroon.  And if I were a Phillies fan, that might be very important, I acknowledge.  But I love this because the maroon sets them apart.  To BBVT's point, the light blue would be a part of their scheme for the first time, so it may be kinda odd to add such a color to an original NL franchise.  Again, I have the luxury of not being a Phillies fan, but the light blue looks so good with the maroon that I'm willing to shove history aside.*  To me, the Phillies had the best powder blue jersey of the 80s and it's because of how well it played off the maroon.

The only beef I have is your use of it.  The maroon and blue need to touch more.  I would do one of two things (along with removing the sleeve numbers, which I cannot believe has made it this long):

1. Outline both wordmarks in blue along with the numbers on back. (and maybe the names,depending on how that looks)
  2. Go "Detroit Tigers" and leave the home exactly as you have it (but with maroon stars), put the blue around the wordmark/name/number on the road and incorporate blue onto the road hat, either with a blue "P" outlined in white or vice versa.  Blue squatchee, too.

*I acknowledge that it is easy for me to suggest recoloring a long-term franchise.  I hate it when people suggest Vikings or Wild colors for the Twins.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 4/6/2016 at 7:29 PM, jp1409 said:
5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

mike.schmidt.philadelphia.phillies.1973.

But that maroon colour, that P logo, and that number font are what this team should be using.

These are looking pretty good!

That's what I see in my mind's eye when the Phillies are mentioned. Perfect.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I also tried to create a middle ground between the red and maroon shades on an updated Whiz Kids set that disposed of some of the lesser elements of the current set (i.e. that number font and cap logo):

20664866651_e4a9c4f7dd_b.jpg

I'd love for the Phillies to entertain the maroon-era a lot more, albeit only as an alternate/with an incorporation into a Whiz Kids-esque set.

Those are awesome.

13 hours ago, Digby said:

Don't worry, I hate all these things too. I'd much prefer maroon and grey.

SFGiants58's concept is pretty darn good, but I'd go with varsity block (not plain block) over the Padres numbers, drop the sleeve numbers, and lose the powder blue. Just maroon and white at home.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd like the M's blue and yellow if they just used it on white instead of cream. (Though it's probably cream because two white jerseys is likely deemed superfluous by MLB).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

Attended my first Mariners game today, and noticed that there are considerably more fans wearing merchandise in classic Royal and gold than the current teal and navy. Just thought this was interesting

MNtwins3 having the time of his life with people making bad fashion decisions!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived