16-17 Soccer Kits

jaker52

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gdu said:

Not as bad as I was expecting: 

CcAgnqGUEAAAE90.jpg

If this is real, I would like to personally thank US Soccer and Nike for allowing me to abstain from spending any money on US Soccer gear this year. It's a big help to the bank account during such a tremendous time of financial hardship in my home state.

gYH2mW9.png

That. Is. Awful. Black is NOT one of the United States' colors. I'm sure the geniuses over at Nike have heard of the "red, white & blue." It's red, white, and blue. Not black, not volt, not lime green, not anything else.

And as much as an upgrade that the new crest is over the old one, I do wish they went with a white "USA" on a blue background.

13 minutes ago, kroywen said:

That. Is. Awful. Black is NOT one of the United States' colors. I'm sure the geniuses over at Nike have heard of the "red, white & blue." It's red, white, and blue. Not black, not volt, not lime green, not anything else.

And as much as an upgrade that the new crest is over the old one, I do wish they went with a white "USA" on a blue background.

It's an even bigger slap in the face when you consider how long Mexico has worn black. It's our chief rival and they're dressing us exactly the same as they have the last half decade. They either don't know anything about soccer or they just don't give a :censored:, either way it's completely unacceptable and I hate them for it. 

12 minutes ago, TimEOBrien said:

It's an even bigger slap in the face when you consider how long Mexico has worn black. It's our chief rival and they're dressing us exactly the same as they have the last decade and a half. They either don't know anything about soccer or they just don't give a :censored:, either way it's completely unacceptable and I hate them for it. 

I think the two are completely unrelated. They've worn black off and on for maybe 4-5 years. This is simply an alternate kit. We clearly still have the red and blue and will continue to don white at home. Black is an arbitrary color and holds no significance for either country. It's also a neutral color. It's not as if they are dressing us in Mexican green or as if adidas started putting Argentina in Brazilian yellow. I'm not justifying the usage of black or saying it looks good but I think your stance on "Nike dressing us like Mexico" is a little extreme.

13 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I think the two are completely unrelated. They've worn black off and on for maybe 4-5 years. This is simply an alternate kit. We clearly still have the red and blue and will continue to don white at home. Black is an arbitrary color and holds no significance for either country. It's also a neutral color. It's not as if they are dressing us in Mexican green or as if adidas starting putting Argentina in Brazilian yellow. I'm not justifying the usage of black or saying it looks good but I think your stance on "Nike dressing us like Mexico" is a little extreme.

Yeah I revised my statement to say a half decade because they haven't been doing it for too long but Mexico has worn a black kit pretty consistently either as their primary or change for the last five or so years and it's been fairly consistent, in my opinion that is building a tradition of the Mexican team wearing black as well as green. And yet nike refuses to build any tradition whatsoever with our kits.  And while it wasn't exactly Mexican green, they did dress our women up in volt for the goddamn world cup. 

13 minutes ago, TimEOBrien said:

Yeah I revised my statement to say a half decade because they haven't been doing it for too long but Mexico has worn a black kit pretty consistently either as their primary or change for the last five or so years and it's been fairly consistent, in my opinion that is building a tradition of the Mexican team wearing black as well as green. And yet nike refuses to build any tradition whatsoever with our kits.  And while it wasn't exactly Mexican green, they did dresser women up in volt for the goddamn world cup. 

Fair point. I guess I view it a little differently than you do, but we can both agree that we don't love black or volt for the US.

19 minutes ago, Pabig said:

Guys, it is an away jersey. They are meant to NOT be in the team primary color. It is perfectly reasonable to use colors other than red white and blue on the away jersey.

See, I don't buy this argument because many (most?) established international teams have well defined change kit colors.

Germany in black or green

Brazil in blue

Mexico in black or white

Italy in white

Croatia in blue

England in red

France in white

etc. etc.

IMO, we need to establish white or hoops as our primary (I'd prefer white jersey with blue shorts) and solid blue as the standard change,

51 minutes ago, JPDesign said:

Yeah, it's not just that it's black, it's that it's poorly done black. Even though the USWNT went sacrilege in black and volt, it was still a nice looking kit.

The USWNT also had a black change kit for the 2011 World Cup, and, although the design was nothing special, it's simplicity was nice enough and was vastly superior to the design of this new kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, TimEOBrien said:

See, I don't buy this argument because many (most?) established international teams have well defined change kit colors.

Germany in black or green

Brazil in blue

Mexico in black or white

Italy in white

Croatia in blue

England in red

France in white

etc. etc.

IMO, we need to establish white or hoops as our primary (I'd prefer white jersey with blue shorts) and solid blue as the standard change,

That's how it used to be, but look what's actually been happening over the last decade or so, especially in non-World Cup years. Out of the teams that you've mentioned, really only Italy and Croatia have held to that hard and fast. Germany's been in red and gray, Brazil in teal, Mexico in red, England in varying shades of blue, and France in light blue.

I'm not saying I love the US in black, I'm just saying it's something that's been going on for years, even with teams that are regarded as having untouchable color schemes. The trend won't stop as long as people keep buying them up.

Personally, as long as the manufacturers don't mess with the home kits too egregiously, I don't mind a little variation and experimentation with away kits, even if that means some of these kits don't sing to me... then again, I might be the only one who bought the anthracite US kit back in '09 and should not be trusted.

Honestly, I can deal with a (lighter) gray kit. Maybe something justifiable from America The Beautiful like purple, although slightly weird, kinda works. But black is just so off-putting and late trending, and that's what makes this a bad kit. Actually, the fade to red and blue might make it worse.

What needs to be found is that one identifying element to tie everything together, like the hoops used for a few years. This constant change from ultra modern(last year and supposedly this year) to ultra conservative (Centennial, but that was for good reason) never sets up a chance to find what makes a USNT kit. 

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived