College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Ew no that piping is awful

I cry whenever I see these Husky unis.  They can stay funky, with NW pointing numbers and black shoulders, and frosty white helmets  - just mix in this one for a few games a year.  Please.  And retire the chrome helmets.   

huskies perfect uni.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, crosfam said:

I cry whenever I see these Husky unis.  They can stay funky, with NW pointing numbers and black shoulders, and frosty white helmets  - just mix in this one for a few games a year.  Please.  And retire the chrome helmets.   

huskies perfect uni.jpg

I'm pretty sure they have only the metallic gold helmets this year after having to return all the vici helmets in the offseason.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I'm pretty sure they have only the metallic gold helmets this year after having to return all the vici helmets in the offseason.

Yes, so far so good this year.  I hope they recycled the chrome lids for good.  No need for the black ones.  I Kinda like the frosty whites as long as we don't use the red/white/blue W.  We will see if they return.  I wouldn't mind occasional use of a nice purple helm instead of black, but everybody will scream "AHHG!  JIM LAMBRIGHT!"

HuardDamon1.jpg

26 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Oh look, more Pat Tillman stuff slapped on an ASU uniform. 

Isn't that always there? as far as i know they always have the PT42 somewhere on the uni, at least they used to

I kind of like the way the black pitchfork looks on the maroon background with the yellow outline. obviously these would look better with yellow pants instead of the mono-maroon, but weird as it is to say, i think Adidas managed to give ASU a slight upgrade overall.

Also, the matte yellow ASU helmets worn last week were VERY nice, i thought.

As noted in this story by The Oregonian, it is very possible that Oregon will be dressing like the Duck this weekend against Colorado.. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/09/are_the_oregon_ducks_dressing.html

The sleeve stripes on the new green jerseys pretty much match those on the Duck's shirt and they ordered orange facemasks over the summer as well. In addition, apparently Oregon's third string quarterback posted a picture to his snapchat of orange cleats so this very well might be real. They also posted this video earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoDucks/status/778776656358047744

If this is true it would explain why they've continued to wear the black helmets in practice this week as they'd likely wear white helmets with orange facemasks in the game to try and match the look of the Duck. They'd also probably wear white pants with the aforementioned orange cleats. This could be way off base, and I am seriously praying that it is, but all will be revealed tomorrow at 7am.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Dear god.  I've defended plenty of stuff they've worn, but if true, Oregon will have really jumped the shark on the uniforms.

Agree completely. They've had some crazy uniforms over the years, and plenty with questionable aesthetics or reasoning, but this would be a whole new (and most likely god awful) level.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Agree completely. They've had some crazy uniforms over the years, and plenty with questionable aesthetics or reasoning, but this would be a whole new (and most likely god awful) level.

I'm not sure how anyone at Nike and/or Oregon thought that producing a uniform similar to that stupid mascot concept was a good idea.  If they're getting that hard up for uniform ideas, maybe they should just stop and go back to something a bit more normal.

12 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I'm not sure how anyone at Nike and/or Oregon thought that producing a uniform similar to that stupid mascot concept was a good idea.  If they're getting that hard up for uniform ideas, maybe they should just stop and go back to something a bit more normal.

Yep, you pretty much summed it all up right there. I have been open to nearly all of the ideas that Nike and Oregon have come up with, even the not so good ones, but this would be indefensible IMO. Here's a quick mockup (although I'm sure the real version would have different helmet decals and such):

TheDuckUnis.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Texas A&M will be wearing 1956 throwbacks when they play at South Carolina on 10/1

Cs48ZQkVYAACCQj.jpg

Cs48ZQjVUAACkYS.jpg

Cs48ZRNVYAAYko2.jpg

Cs5EzKsW8AALAV8.jpg

Here is the inspiration

bb001a62a19ac7cc218b5c14d4d3c47a.jpg

Why don't football teams do what baseball teams do and wear the same type of material and style that was worn during the time of the throwback?

The thing with Oregon is that they were on the cutting edge of innovation and design. They were the kings of mix and match. But they had a cohesive identity with one primary design aesthetic.

From the diamond plate, to the 3-4 various winged designs over the years...Oregon pushed the limits but all parts of their design were interchange as they used the same design premise.

Now, they are introducing new stuff every week which looks absolutely unrelated to anything else. Those heather gray, blue collared jerseys with volt accents had a block font. Then they had the all yellow with exploding wings on the entire shoulders. And now they're prepared to introduce traditional sleeve stripes with the inclusion of orange.

Not to mention that the last few years, Oregon was using two different wing patterns over the course of the same season (Vapor Untouchable- such as the green and yellow Rose Bowl look- awesome. And the Elite 51 wings with the Flywire).

Nothing matches. They're starting to look like a lower level FCS team where they've had the same away jersey for the last 5 years but their boosters just saved up enough money to spring for an entirely different looking home jersey... all while still wearing the old pants.

They've really outdone themselves. I think this is the downfall of Oregon's uniform game.

I don't see why some of y'all are freaking out. If it is this goofy uniform that's based on the duck, then you have white pants and helmets and a green jersey with a bit of orange in there. Is that really so terrible compared to all the other nonsense they've debuted? From neon colors, anthracite, black, etc., they've had so many uniforms and random non-school colors, that I fail to see why this sounds so much worse than anything else they've done.

Just now, Red Wolf said:

I don't see why some of y'all are freaking out. If it is this goofy uniform that's based on the duck, then you have white pants and helmets and a green jersey with a bit of orange in there. Is that really so terrible compared to all the other nonsense they've debuted? From neon colors, anthracite, black, etc., they've had so many uniforms and random non-school colors, that I fail to see why this sounds so much worse than anything else they've done.

Well for one thing, wearing the color of your in state rival is never a good thing, so that's why many Oregon fans will likely be upset if this rumor about the orange is true. But the bigger issue is what @aawagner011 just addressed, and that's the lack of consistency and cohesion with their uniform sets anymore. That coupled with the questionable ideas behind some of their recent uniforms makes for a very troubling reality for Oregon's uniforms. At this point it just seems like Nike and Oregon are both trying way too hard and the simple reality is that many teams have copied various ideas and are no longer playing catchup to Oregon, or at least not at the same scale as they were 5-10 years ago.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I get the outcry for the Duck uniforms, but if they do it well, it could be a fun one-off. Not a good look for a football team, but a fun one. I laughed when I saw the "dress like the duck" by-line. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it has potential in the light-hearted category, for me at least.

I'd be upset if Auburn wanted to dress like Aubie or any of the eagles, but then again, we'll never see an alternate regardless haha

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

1 hour ago, MGoBlue98 said:

Why don't football teams do what baseball teams do and wear the same type of material and style that was worn during the time of the throwback?

Because then you are sacrificing performance, football uniforms have evolved to the skin tight, moisture wicking uniforms of today for a reason.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Ew no that piping is awful

I'm actually a fan of that piping, but that's also about the time I was at school there. I remember thinking it was weird when the took it off as there wasn't really any other design elements on the uniforms back then but UW has traditionally been a pretty tame team jersey wise.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

4 hours ago, crosfam said:

Yes, so far so good this year.  I hope they recycled the chrome lids for good.  No need for the black ones.  I Kinda like the frosty whites as long as we don't use the red/white/blue W.  We will see if they return.  I wouldn't mind occasional use of a nice purple helm instead of black, but everybody will scream "AHHG!  JIM LAMBRIGHT!"

HuardDamon1.jpg

From what I've read the plan was to only have the "old" gold helmets from Vicis but once they sent them back for testing, Coach Peterson only commented on their first week of uniforms. About the same time (Aug 30th) HGI posted this on their facebook page and mentioned they were on the production line, leading me to believe we might see the gold chrome this season.

14089182_1096268923755284_23165910066597

Going back to the paragraph above, I say the "old" gold helmets as the Huskies have had 3 different gold helmets since the 2014 uniform change. They have the "old" gold, which is what they have worn for years prior to the 2014 season, the metallic chrome gold (which seems to be universally hated), and a satin gold with satin purple face mask which became the primary for 2014 - 15. People were too busy being memorized by the "iconic jaws" of Husky Stadium in the uniforms for Nike to inform us the helmet finish had actually changed when the unis did. For the last game last year, the senior class voted to wear the "old" gold helmets which were only used in practice because of the lack of a special finish since they were the style they had when they started and were tradition. We so often hear that the recruits want the latest and greatest, that I thought it was cool they wanted to honor UW's history. So far, the Dawgs have worn the "old" gold for all 3 games of 2016.

Here is the satin gold from 14-15

huskieshelmet2_zpsccq2s8d5.jpg

That being said, I would love to see the chrome, white, and black helmets ditched in favor of a single purple alternate helmet. The purple helmet above is nice, but I think it's missing something. I think a satin purple helmet (a la Minnesota Vikings) with satin gold facemask (FSU alt) would look sharp. Keep the striping and pair that with white jerseys on the road or a blackout and i think the Dawgs are set, at least helmet wise. When I get some time I'd love to mock this up on a mini helmet and see how it looks.

vikeshelmet2_zpskrhvrtlz.jpg

DRSIKMRZRTZXEQK.20151122031122_zpsmtjwij

4 hours ago, crosfam said:

huskies perfect uni.jpg

Love that look! Really excited for all this UW talk. I feel like it's few and far between.

SEAsig.png

Archived