Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

1 hour ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

New flag for the state of Utah to be voted on during the next legislative session

FhOyGLiUYAEuF4S-900x506.jpeg

picked from these options

https://ksltv.com/510923/new-utah-state-flag-options-narrowed-to-top-5/

There were simpler, arguably better, designs but I can't blame them for wanting to have mountain imagery. Would launch Utah out of the "we slapped a seal on navy" crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Yes, but the text doesn't contribute to it being good or unique. It's an extraneous element that can easily be dumped.

GEq5t9X.png

Disagree.

This now looks like some sort of Alaskan, Space Force or United Federation of Planets flag.

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Ark said:

I disagree with the idea that a flag has to check certain boxes to be considered good. For example, Brazil's flag commits one of the Unholy Sins (text on a flag) and is still really good IMO

1200px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png

Every rule has exceptions. The exceptions don't invalidate the rule.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

So Minnesota has started considering a redesign of their state flag. There are a number of problems with the current flag, especially when it comes to the actual design. 

Minnesota Legislature considers state flag redesign again, but this time it might happen – Twin Cities

There was a flag designed in 1989, nicknamed the North Star flag, but I find the design to be a little lacking and it just doesn't have the right feel of a flag. It just doesn't feel like a memorable design, despite being miles better than the current flag. 

So I came up with a design that highlights the North Star better, and also calls back to the large Scandinavian population in Minnesota. 

IMG_7386.JPG

I'm calling it the Norsk Star flag! It follows the design of the Nordic Cross flags, but is actually in the shape of a star, the North Star. And green, white, and blue are fitting colors for Minnesota.

• Like 10

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 3/27/2023 at 7:50 PM, chcarlson23 said:

So Minnesota has started considering a redesign of their state flag. There are a number of problems with the current flag, especially when it comes to the actual design. 

Minnesota Legislature considers state flag redesign again, but this time it might happen – Twin Cities

There was a flag designed in 1989, nicknamed the North Star flag, but I find the design to be a little lacking and it just doesn't have the right feel of a flag. It just doesn't feel like a memorable design, despite being miles better than the current flag. 

So I came up with a design that highlights the North Star better, and also calls back to the large Scandinavian population in Minnesota. 

IMG_7386.JPG

I'm calling it the Norsk Star flag! It follows the design of the Nordic Cross flags, but is actually in the shape of a star, the North Star. And green, white, and blue are fitting colors for Minnesota.

I really like the 1989 design but evoking Scandinavia is a solid route as well. I hope every state with a lacking flag considers an upgrade, way too many shields on navy.

• 1 month later...

So I was playing around with a flag designer I found online and came up with a redesign for my home state, which has yet another seal-on-blue flag. I made a couple different versions, but the symbolism is the same.

spacer.png

spacer.png

-The forest green backdrop represents the northwoods and Wisconsin’s parks.

-The light blue border represents the four waterways that help shape Wisconsin’s borders. The thinner side borders representing the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers, and the slightly thicker top and bottom borders representing Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.

-The off-white represents Wisconsin’s industrious heritage. Whether cream for the dairy industry, wheat for the agricultural industry, barley for the brewing industry, or the cream city brick made from the sands of Lake Michigan that built Wisconsin’s first cities.

-Seven stars represent the seven letters in the state motto: Forward. This is further emphasized by the 12-point star at the top of the horizon shining the brightest. This star also represents Wisconsin itself, as W is the middle letter in the word “forWard.” and symbolizes Wisconsin’s position in the North Central US. That star is surrounded by six 10-point stars. The 72 total points of the stars represent the 72 counties that make up Wisconsin.

-Wildlife and nature in Wisconsin is represented by a silhouette of a white-tailed deer, the state wildlife animal and one of three official Wisconsin state animals (the badger and domestic cow are the others). The deer is the only one of the three that can be found in all 72 counties.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2023 at 5:55 AM, 8BW14 said:

As a rural resident and a deer hunter, I’m going to nitpick your flag. Your antlers are wrong, those are elk antlers. With the correct antlers, it’s an absolute homerun

Oof... exposed myself as a city boy, didn't I?

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:05 AM, MiK said:

This is worth the watch! He just gets it.

He gets some of it but doesn’t understand that rules are made to be broken. 

Any mindset that thinks California doesn’t have a kickass flag is super flawed imo. 

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Illinois is looking into a adopting a new state flag design and I had a few spare minutes at work yesterday and came up with this:

spacer.png

The sun/star has 21 points because Illinois was the 21st state to join the Union. The blue borders on the left, bottom, and right sides represent the Mississippi, Ohio, and Wabash rivers respectively and the upper right corner represents Lake Michigan. The green background is for Illinois’ forests and fields and the gold, not only represents the sun, but also the grain harvested from the fields in the fall. Illinois’ lifeblood is its lands and waters. They support pretty much all industry and commerce in the state. Out-of-staters and the majority of the population in the Chicago area tend to forget anything but Chicago exists in Illinois and I wanted to create a flag  that represents the whole state, not just the NE corner.

My wife liked the symbolism but told me she thought it was an ugly flag. Any thoughts would be appreciated. love to submit a design if/when the state asks for input from its residents.

edit: just realized the flag is pretty similar to @NicDB’s Wisconsin flag. I wasn’t consciously thinking of it when I came up with the IL flag, but it was obviously rolling around in my mind somewhere. Didn’t intend to step on any of those ideas. Illinois and Wisconsin have a lot of similarities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Illinois is looking into a adopting a new state flag design and I had a few spare minutes at work yesterday and came up with this:

spacer.png

The sun/star has 21 points because Illinois was the 21st state to join the Union. The blue borders on the left, bottom, and right sides represent the Mississippi, Ohio, and Wabash rivers respectively and the upper right corner represents Lake Michigan. The green background is for Illinois’ forests and fields and the gold, not only represents the sun, but also the grain harvested from the fields in the fall. Illinois’ lifeblood is its lands and waters. They support pretty much all industry and commerce in the state. Out-of-staters and the majority of the population in the Chicago area tend to forget anything but Chicago exists in Illinois and I wanted to create a flag  that represents the whole state, not just the NE corner.

My wife liked the symbolism but told me she thought it was an ugly flag. Any thoughts would be appreciated. love to submit a design if/when the state asks for input from its residents.

I think it's a good start. The green and blue definitely need more contrast though. I'd make the green darker since it's the main color. The sun could also spare to be a little smaller. As of right now, I think it takes up way too much space. 

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I think it's a good start. The green and blue definitely need more contrast though. I'd make the green darker since it's the main color. The sun could also spare to be a little smaller. As of right now, I think it takes up way too much space. 

Darker green, brighter blue, smaller sun. Also another idea that includes the Illinois river as a diagonal stripe. Not sure how I feel about that one. I think the IL river needs to be included but I don’t love the execution. Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board?

spacer.png

spacer.png