What Is The Worst NHL Logo Ever?

Bruins

10 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Maybe you hate that logo because you are looking at a crappy rendering.  That is not an official logo at all.

64.png

This logo doesn't belong on this thread.  How many logos can lay claim to representing a team's namesake, initials, sport, and topography all at the same time?  Not to mention do it with a style and colour scheme that was wholly original upon introduction?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17.gif

I know this was already posted, but there's always been an issue with me and this logo. The wing and the way the Thrasher/Bird is holding the hockey stick makes no logical sense. At least, to my eyes...... besides that, it's an awkward shape, has too many colours & really needed another revision before it was unveiled. 

My Honorable Mention that I don't think has been brought up/shoulder patch nominee:

37.png

Great idea, but this logo is inaccurate and needs the two flags for it to work properly. Also, the hockey stick doesn't look like a hockey stick to me. (BTW, the Checkers use a shoulder patch that fixes one of these issues.... sadly, it's not the flag but the stick). 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 13/12/2016 at 3:55 AM, appleclock said:

Im surprised no one's mentioned the flying spaghetti plate of space waffles AKA 80s Canucks.  I love this logo but it's kind of horrible.

IMG_1915.GIF

I think this logo gets a pass because of the great overall uniform, the eye catching black red gold color scheme, and of course because one of the most exciting players ever, wore this logo. 

img-140750-f.jpg

both away and home jersey was amazing imo, the white jersey was incredibly clean and aesthetically pleasing, logo fit the jersey perfectly

7d450406d32e2031023811f6a4089163.jpg

nhl_hof_12.jpg

I never thought of that Canucks logo as bad.   But looking at it now, it really is.  I agree with the above poster that the colors and uniforms probably causes us to overlook how bad that logo is.  That's how it is for me.  That's still my favorite of their looks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

17 hours ago, Bruins said:

At least this means SOMETHING

What exactly does it mean? They took the state flag turned it backwards to make a weird "C" shape and stuck a star in the middle.  They're not the Columbus Ohioans or Columbus Ohio Stars.   At least the old "CBJ" logo did something with the franchise name and civil war moniker.  This is a terrible, generic logo where they took the state flag and wrapped it around the generic symbol of a star.  It's just as bland and generic as the OKC Thunder is, with a reference to the state that they play in tossed in. 

On 12/10/2016 at 8:42 PM, infrared41 said:

5616_columbus_blue_jackets-jersey-2001.p

I have a friend who still refers to the team as the "Columbus Jackets Blue" because of this logo. He's a huge fan of the team. That's just what he calls them. 

Yeah I never liked this thing. What is it? A ribbon? Bunting? 

21 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

What exactly does it mean? They took the state flag turned it backwards to make a weird "C" shape and stuck a star in the middle.  They're not the Columbus Ohioans or Columbus Ohio Stars.   At least the old "CBJ" logo did something with the franchise name and civil war moniker.  This is a terrible, generic logo where they took the state flag and wrapped it around the generic symbol of a star.  It's just as bland and generic as the OKC Thunder is, with a reference to the state that they play in tossed in. 

18 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Can we just agree that everything that's ever been a primary on a CBJ jersey sucks? 

I hate this logo. It's the OKC Thunder of the NHL. 

The backwards flag to make the weird 'C" shape, the beveled star, the double outline on everything, is all so, so wrong. 

columbus-blue-jackets-logo-wallpaper.jpg

Fart. This logo is great! It does what a logo should - has symbolism, shows the location of the team, the state flag creates a C, which is clever, but also shows some dynamism and movement, and the star represents both the capital and the stars that were worn on the Union uniforms. The OKC thunder comparison is offensive. That logo means absolutely nothing. 

Generic? What other team would use the state flag of Ohio in a logo besides the one with the patriotic nickname? What other team in Ohio would use a star besides the one that plays in the capital? Oh it doesn't represent a Blue Jacket? Sure it does. The armies from Ohio marched into battle carrying the state flag of Ohio, albeit not this current iteration, and they did it while wearing stars on their blue jackets that were produced in Columbus, Ohio. Also, they wear a civil war cannon on their shoulders and they used to wear a Union army hat on their shoulders in case a full-on bash you over the head reference is needed. A little nuance is okay in a logo every now and then. 

I don't see this double outline you're talking about. I see the navy edge that is the end of the flag object and the star object and then a single silver outline so it's not lost on a colored background, but that's not a double outline. 

I'll be very sad if this is dropped in favor of the cannon or worse, a soldier guy. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

BREAKING NEWS: Fan of team defends logo and ignores shortcomings. Film at 11. 

Good one! 

I didn't ignore the shortcomings. I carefully explained how the "shortcomings" are bunk. It's generic? It's the OKC thunder of the NHL? How and how? 

If it has shortcomings those aren't them. It's certainly nowhere close to "worst NHL logo ever". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In all seriousness that Beej logo should in no way be compared to the OKC Thunder. You've got the state flag of Ohio forming a big C, representing the fact that the team plays in Columbus, Ohio. Meanwhile the Thunder logo is literally just a placeholder logo consisting of an ugly shield and some random color blocking, which is in absolutely no way relevant to either Oklahoma City, or the idea of Thunder.

I get that you don't like that Jackets logo, and truthfully I don't think it's particularly great, but trying to compare it to the Thunder is pretty off-base.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

7 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

BREAKING NEWS: Fan of team defends logo and ignores shortcomings. Film at 11. 

The point is, everything in this logo means something. Because the Civil War references and the flag and the star and blah blah blah... I personally hate this logo, not buffaslug hate, but hate. It's boring and lame, but you can't even come close to comparing this to the OKC Thunder. The Thunder logo is an abomination of the good name of sports logos and it means absolutely nothing to anyone. So yes, this is bad, but don't drag one of the worst logos ever into this.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

One time I was playing around with that Blue Jackets logo for an NHL Alternate Universe concept series I never got around to seeing through. For a Dallas team that came to be because the North Stars never moved, I made it into a Texas flag swooping the other way around a star to form a letter D. I thought it worked at least as well as the real one does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/11/2016 at 8:02 PM, ScubaSteve said:

I know I'll get hate for this one, but it's so incredibly lazy

283.png

Yes. This is the worst logo in NHL history. You want "generic". This is generic. It says nothing of the city or team it represents. It could be used by any hockey team anywhere in any colors and a simple shifting of the stick or rotating of the rink and you can create almost any letter in the alphabet. Somebody should totally make a font out of this. I would, but I'm lazy. This is 1970's minimalism taken to its absurd end. The logo is literally a blob. It looks like a placeholder while they waited for a better logo that they never came up with. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

45 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Yes. This is the worst logo in NHL history. You want "generic". This is generic. It says nothing of the city or team it represents. It could be used by any hockey team anywhere in any colors and a simple shifting of the stick or rotating of the rink and you can create almost any letter in the alphabet. Somebody should totally make a font out of this. I would, but I'm lazy. This is 1970's minimalism taken to its absurd end. The logo is literally a blob. It looks like a placeholder while they waited for a better logo that they never came up with. 

I agree with all points. I think the C is tenuous AT BEST, and I think it's so easy to ignore that you could use this logo, without changes to shape or color, for any team any where. It's a stick...in a rink...close the "C" (which I always figured that gap was just more of the hockey stick) and you would have nothing unique for anywhere at all. 

It is the ultimate generic logo. Awful or offensive? no. But I have no idea why there is any love for it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

I think this logo gets a pass because of the great overall uniform, the eye catching black red gold color scheme, and of course because one of the most exciting players ever, wore this logo. 

12.jpg

both away and home jersey was amazing imo, the white jersey was incredibly clean and aesthetically pleasing, logo fit the jersey perfectly

7d450406d32e2031023811f6a4089163.jpg

nhl_hof_12.jpg

I liked the red thirds as well--one of the better of the initial round of NHL alternate jerseys.

Vancouver-Canucks-Trevor-Linden.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

One time I was playing around with that Blue Jackets logo for an NHL Alternate Universe concept series I never got around to seeing through. For a Dallas team that came to be because the North Stars never moved, I made it into a Texas flag swooping the other way around a star to form a letter D. I thought it worked at least as well as the real one does.

This guys tried to use it as a D in his run for congress

delfinepng-e221c7d53ae3b8cf.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived