XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

35 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Bad helmet design to begin with.

Made even more problematic when a couple Brahma players had the horns partially break/tear off their helmets

howdy-heres-our-complete-guide-to-the-xfl-san-antonio-v0-xd3m7f4puw4a1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=fe4edf80229863fcb4c0f26e2b6003696aa805d3

A better solution is some variation of the Texans logo, but they chose not to do it instead.  

Houston is a horror show, between the helmets and those awful numbers.

Vegas looks sharp, with the contrasting colour on the player names.

The design of the Guardians' helmet is better than it was in New York, where the logo was too big.

NY_Guardians_Helmet_Side    20230213211122_7b7d204c-9f92-4f39-b9f9-826f220ae501.jpg

Also, the stripe down the middle is a nice addition of a feature that was absent in New York.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Houston is a horror show, between the helmets and those awful numbers.

Vegas looks sharp, with the contrasting colour on the player names.

The design of the Guardians' helmet is better than it was in New York, where the logo was too big.

NY_Guardians_Helmet_Side    20230213211122_7b7d204c-9f92-4f39-b9f9-826f220ae501.jpg

Also, the stripe down the middle is a nice addition of a feature that was absent in New York.

That new logo tho. Just recolor the original NY identity.  🤦‍♂️

OK47VD4WJNDT7BYZSMSJJQVCT4.jpgorlando_guardianslogocropped_10312022

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Right.  I ignored the unnecessary modifcation to the logo.  I can only guess that the change was made because the original logo was meant to be a lion, in honour of the stone lions in front of the New York Public Library.   The new version looks more like a tiger or a panther.

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Other than the Renegades now-secondary, formally primary, all the returning logos went through some kind of revision, like someone said, "here, re-draw the original logo the best you can and we'll use that one." Seriously, it was like a quick vectorization that we often have to do at work. Like, "heh, close enough." Battlehawks, Sea Dragons, Defenders and Guardians basically all had it done. Vipers looks pretty different. And the Roughnecks, obviously, had to change theirs. Although theirs was the only one really for the better.

• Like 3

The other problem I have with the Orlando and Vegas identities is that they pretty much got "second-hand" nicknames. They're not like the same players, coaching staffs from those 2.0 squads. The teams are starting from scratch, but somehow got the hand-me-down names from the defunct NY and Tampa teams. If I'm a fan, I want those identities to be fresh and represent the cities. Or at least bring back the Rage and Outlaws from XFL 1.0.

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The other problem I have with the Orlando and Vegas identities is that they pretty much got "second-hand" nicknames. They're not like the same players, coaching staffs from those 2.0 squads. The teams are starting from scratch, but somehow got the hand-me-down names from the defunct NY and Tampa teams. If I'm a fan, I want those identities to be fresh and represent the cities. Or at least bring back the Rage and Outlaws from XFL 1.0.

I will say "Vegas Vipers" works, but "Orlando Guardians" does not. Hell, "San Antonio Guardians" arguably would've made more sense than Orlando.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Cujo said:

A problem I have with the Vegas and Orlando identities is that they pretty much got "second-hand" nicknames. They're not like the same players, coaching staffs from those 2.0 squads. The teams are starting from scratch, but somehow got the hand-me-down names from the defunct NY and Tampa teams. If I'm a fan, I want those identities to be fresh and represent the cities. Or at least bring back the Outlaws and Rage from XFL 1.0.

I am a fan of  continuity, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the Guardians' identity would be retained.  Also, few things in life (not just in sports) are worse than the look of the Orlando Rage.

However, even though the Vipers look good, I would agree that the Outlaws looked better. 

On 2/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, McCall said:

I will say "Vegas Vipers" works, but "Orlando Guardians" does not. Hell, "San Antonio Guardians" arguably would've made more sense than Orlando.

It seems to me that the name "Guardians" has no allusions to anything specific, and so works equally well in any city.  The XFL in New York and Major League Baseball in Cleveland found ways to  contrive some kind of local reference; but the name is univerally applicable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  I ignored the unnecessary modifcation to the logo.  I can only guess that the change was made because the original logo was meant to be a lion, in honour of the stone lions in front of the New York Public Library.   The new version looks more like a tiger or a panther

The New York Guardians logo was a gargoyle. It appears now it's some kind of big cat.

I haven't paid much attention to the branding of XFL 3.0 until this weekend. Why does Seattle's dragon logo look worse now? It looks like a kid in 4th grade drew the new logo, and not a kid with artistic talent.

• Like 5

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Las Vegas Outlaws would've been a great callback to the first XFL. It was well received in town. The Vipers name just feels so forced. And to go with Vegas over Las Vegas just bugs me. I get why the Panthers and Hurricanes went with Carolina instead of North Carolina or their city names... but to see Vegas would be like seeing Angeles, York, or Diego. I know where/why Vegas originated but it was always a nickname, not a name.  Would the  "Ellay Dodgers" be fitting as an official name?

• Like 1

Main takeaway for me is so many of these uniforms are so close to being great. All of them needs some tweaks here and there, just a case of being overdesigned IMO.

Some other points:

-The Battlehawks have 3-4 different shades of silver/gray between the helmet and the rest of the uniform. They need to pick 1-2 and stick with them.

-It looks like every team is going with the same NoB font. Interesting quirk there.

-I don't hate the Roughnecks uniforms as much as I thought I would. Texas helmet and all. The navy and white together is a smooth combination.

-I don't like the DC field being blank, although I can understand why, with Audi Field being primarily a soccer stadium. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

-I don't like the DC field being blank, although I can understand why, with Audi Field being primarily a soccer stadium.

Last time around the XFL field paint was highly visible during MLS games. Guess a compromise was made because the field lines on the grass tonight appeared to be pretty light. Trust me the DC United diehards hate the fact that Audi Field gets used for football during the MLS season.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Las Vegas Outlaws would've been a great callback to the first XFL. It was well received in town. The Vipers name just feels so forced. And to go with Vegas over Las Vegas just bugs me. I get why the Panthers and Hurricanes went with Carolina instead of North Carolina or their city names... but to see Vegas would be like seeing Angeles, York, or Diego. I know where/why Vegas originated but it was always a nickname, not a name.  Would the  "Ellay Dodgers" be fitting as an official name?

I agree that I don't like simply "Vegas" being used in the Big 5 (I get it, they didn't want the Golden Knights to be a 4-word name🙄), but here , it doesn't feel awkward and out of place. Plus vipers ARE relevant to the region, and the alliteration works well.

30 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

What is it with spring football and intentionally going for a minor league aesthetic? The USFL played in one city last year and still felt more like a serious league, solely because of the branding and uniforms

Both leagues are going to have that minor league aesthetic. XFL let Under Armour  go wild and I  think there's  good and bad all throughout. Except for Vegas and Houston, the old logos didn't need touched. Orlando and Vegas should have been renamed and San Antonio  would have been better off just using the Rocks logo. The "full" horn ball logo is awful. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

What is it with spring football and intentionally going for a minor league aesthetic? The USFL played in one city last year and still felt more like a serious league, solely because of the branding and uniforms

I'd disagree. When watching any team that wasn't Birmingham, no one was showing up on the stands. And the stadiums being used are similar in size to most of the stadiums being used this year. 

4 hours ago, walkerws said:

Both leagues are going to have that minor league aesthetic. XFL let Under Armour  go wild and I  think there's  good and bad all throughout. Except for Vegas and Houston, the old logos didn't need touched. Orlando and Vegas should have been renamed and San Antonio  would have been better off just using the Rocks logo. The "full" horn ball logo is awful. 

I actually like the primary logo for San Antonio, but I'm glad they went with the helmet design they chose. The new secondary logo looks okay, but the S-horn logo is not good.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png