AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

I liked Salt Lake City as an AHL destination. That's another air hub, it's a right-sized AHL market in terms of being big enough for the NBA but not also the NHL (MIlwaukee, Charlotte, San Antonio), it's relatively close to a rival in Fort Collins. Makes more sense than Boise or Palm Springs, which both feel very ECHL.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

OHL Bulldogs unveiled their Tiger-Cats jerseys today. Will be worn October 14.

5Q9G3aI.png

erpZ50L.png

It's not the first time a team has done Ticats jerseys. Guelph did them in 2013 for the Grey Cup

The-Guelph-Storms-Ticat-tribute-jerseys-

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 8/30/2019 at 9:03 PM, MBurmy said:

I get what you're saying...oh well, I suppose Boise's now a pretty attractive relocation destination for any AHL team looking to move.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks bought the Steelheads to move them to the AHL and the Utica Comets to the ECHL).

Nah, it's the same issues that were identified for Seattle considering it, distance-wise. It's not overly close to any NHL team, not a major air-hub, and big travel costs to the rest of the division in the AHL. Is it on the list? Sure, but I don't know that I'd call it attractive.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:19 PM, Wade Heidt said:

I would be surprised.  The Canucks have extended their AHL deal with Utica:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-utica-comets-contract

They have opt out options in the deal.  If they were to opt out of the deal to move a team closer to home, would think Boise would be farther down the list.  Canucks ownership acknowledged putting a team back in Abbotsford as an option or even in Vancouver at Pacific Coliseum.  Have a feeling if they could make it work financially, Abbotsford really would be the most ideal place as there is already a base of Canucks fans there:

https://www.abbynews.com/municipal-election/canucks-owner-says-abbotsford-one-option-for-farm-team/

Granted, I believe it was only the Flames, but Abbotsford is a prime example of how hard a sell AHL hockey is in major Jr. territory. Maybe the Canucks would have an edge to defy that, but the WHL arguably has the strongest hold on their territory of any Jr. league.

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I liked Salt Lake City as an AHL destination. That's another air hub, it's a right-sized AHL market in terms of being big enough for the NBA but not also the NHL (MIlwaukee, Charlotte, San Antonio), it's relatively close to a rival in Fort Collins. Makes more sense than Boise or Palm Springs, which both feel very ECHL.

Based on what little I've heard, SLC falls into a lot of the same ownership issues @Geoff cited for Boise. The ownership and market seem happy with the ECHL model, so there's no real reason to give up control or the lower ticket prices.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Granted, I believe it was only the Flames, but Abbotsford is a prime example of how hard a sell AHL hockey is in major Jr. territory. Maybe the Canucks would have an edge to defy that, but the WHL arguably has the strongest hold on their territory of any Jr. league.

I don't know if Abbotsford can truly support the AHL, but the Flames setting up shop in Canucks' territory was always bound to fail.  Their best crowds were when the Utica Comets came into town, so it's possible the Canucks could make it work.

Milwaukee Admirals to wear sugar skull jerseys

September 4, 2019 - 00:47 AM

The AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals will commemorate the Day of the Dead with jerseys that feature the iconic sugar skulls associated with the Mexican holiday. Sugar skulls, or calaveras, are decorated by families and loved ones as part of offerings to […]

Read More...

I really don't get the carbon fiber collar or how it squares off at the bottom.  The square patch doesn't make sense either, since no team uses it.  Before when it was Reebok, it made sense to have it there no matter what.  But, not any more with the different template.

Outside of the NHL, does anyone know if any team or league that has ever utilize it someway?

7 hours ago, M4One said:

I really don't get the carbon fiber collar or how it squares off at the bottom.  The square patch doesn't make sense either, since no team uses it.  Before when it was Reebok, it made sense to have it there no matter what.  But, not any more with the different template.

Outside of the NHL, does anyone know if any team or league that has ever utilize it someway?

blainville-boisbriand-320x311.jpg

The only one using it

• Like 1

They're kind of a mess, but it works for me. I might try and get my hands on one.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Honest question here, not trying to be cynical.  What’s the deal with Sugar skull?  Hat Club has a whole line up sugar skull hats right now.  The Day of the Dead isn’t a new thing.  Was there some recent pop cultural phenomenon that has made it more popular?  Just curious