NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

17 hours ago, guest23 said:

This is such a flippant remark. Clearly you have zero experience in logistics or event production otherwise you would be able to articulate why you think this proposal is so worry free.

See above. Who looks like they have zero experience? 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the plan seems to be the NBA will use the Arena, HP Fieldhouse and the Visa Athletic Center and play 5 to 6 games each day.  Eventually, it will go down to 2, then just 1.  There will be 4 hours in between each game on each court for cleaning, possible overtime, and warmups.  Seems unnecessary to bring their own courts just for practice or to swap them out for every game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267080/what-know-know-nba-return-play%3fplatform=amp

"and the sports facility is no exception. Three arenas can be configured into 20 basketball courts, according to Faron Kelley, vice president for ESPN Wide World of Sports, Water Parks and runDisney. That would allow the N.B.A. to play two games at once (no fans in the stands) and still have a practice space."

That's 20 courts laid out at a time. Very minimal change. It's really weird yall find this difficult. It isnt. Not at all. Why is necessity being dragged in to this? Nothing about sports is necessary. The NBA itself isn't necessary. 

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

"and the sports facility is no exception. Three arenas can be configured into 20 basketball courts, according to Faron Kelley, vice president for ESPN Wide World of Sports, Water Parks and runDisney. That would allow the N.B.A. to play two games at once (no fans in the stands) and still have a practice space."

That's 20 courts laid out at a time. Very minimal change. It's really weird yall find this difficult. It isnt. Not at all. Why is necessity being dragged in to this? Nothing about sports is necessary. The NBA itself isn't necessary. 

22 teams, 20 courts. So only up to two courts might have to change per day depending on scheduling?

11 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Is that 20 courts laid out and broadcast-ready?

(Note: I have no idea the logistics behind the restart, so i'm genuinely curious)

Bc i would assume it's like college rec center style where they're all right next to each other, only divided by some drop down fabric(?) walls, which would not allow sufficient space for production. 

3 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Remember, not all 20 will be in the same arena. There are three buildings. With no fans (folded seats) there will be plenty of space. They may have to rotate courts, but that is an easy task if you are moving it from one side of the room to the other. 

Not really, it’s still a 2-4 hour long process, as others stated this is just to play games not have production ready for them. If anything it will take longer due to the sanitation aspect of it. If anything I’m going to assume you’ll need to cut the number of courts by half that can be laid out at any one time due to the space needed for the broadcast cameras. Much less all the other baseline cameras and such.

Did any of the reports say home courts would be used for every game? It seems like swapping out the courts would start to happen in the playoffs, maybe in the round of 8? 

The nerd in me would love to see courts and arenas themed to the Disney Parks, have Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios for the regular season games and playoffs then Magic Kingdom for the Finals.

Arenas do this type of thing all the time. Staples center will host a hockey game and basketball game in the same day. Then hold a major concert the next day. 

And your assumptions are wrong. The article I posted already stated that 20 courts laid out while 2 games are being played simultaneously will be cake. This is the NBA and Disney. Disney owns a lot of media. They got this. What exactly are yall scared of? Yall think the nba will bring 22 courts down to Orlando and then say, "now what?"

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Not really, it’s still a 2-4 hour long process, as others stated this is just to play games not have production ready for them. If anything it will take longer due to the sanitation aspect of it. If anything I’m going to assume you’ll need to cut the number of courts by half that can be laid out at any one time due to the space needed for the broadcast cameras. Much less all the other baseline cameras and such.

What's the extra sanitation aspect of it?  How would that be any different than just mopping it with a solution with a disinfectant, which I assume they need to do anyway?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

"Over on Court 1 is Boston and Philadelphia...On Court 2 is Denver and Houston...and Court 3 is the Clippers practicing their 2-3 zone defense..."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:35 AM, Scrumptious Ham said:

See above. Who looks like they have zero experience? 

I don't see anything of value explaining how 22 courts would be effectively managed to be stored, delivered, assembled, broken down, and removed to accommodate the slate of games that need to be played on a daily basis. Additionally there is a significant labor cost to consider manage such a project which would require budgeting and a negotiation between all parties because things cost money and despite having "resources" rarely is anything done for free. Based on your superior knowledge set I would love to be educated on the plan in terms of what it would take (man hours, labor costs, warehousing space, trucks etc.) and what it would cost to pull this off. 

Coming from experience of visiting the sports complex at Disney recently, just because they have the ability to have 20 courts available at a time doesn't mean all will be broadcast courts.  Presumably some could be used for practice/warmup courts.  I would think they could try and do their best to have two live games in one venue seperated by barriers for sound and noise issues.

- The HP Fieldhouse (the main arena most of us probably recognize because of the Orlando Invitational hosted there around Thanksgiving on ESPN) has one court on the event floor and also has an upper gym area (behind black curtain in background).  I cannot speak for the upper gym's broadcast capabilities so it might be used for practice/warmup, but for this example let's say the HP Fieldhouse has one court for TV.

IMG_8510.jpg

- The Visa Athletic Center is essentially a multipurpose gym that can double as a indoor facility for football. (see pic below).  I do not know the broadcast capabilities here, but much like the HP venue, you could have one TV court here.

jostens-center-complex-slide-3.jpg

1352ed26bad4e4eeb9853d50988a7d92__united

- The newest venue is The Arena (no corporate sponsor yet).  This one was built primarily for cheer squad cometitiion, but assumingly can be used for basketball, though I have not seen it setup for basketball before.  I could see one TV court here too, possibly two if it can be split in half.

DgfkPctX0AA6tyj.jpg

5adf5eec0a1dc.png?width=1200&quality=80

Needless to say, this complex can host at least 3-4 games at a time unless they have other plans.

Seems like two games at once, separated by a curtain, would be awful for TV. So many whistles, horns, maybe different public announcers? 

Four games per day on two courts per venue seems likely, with an alternating time schedule between courts. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There’s no way you could have 2 games under the same roof at once. You could set up a game court in each building at the sports complex and run 3 arenas that way. It’s rumored that the teams would be staying at the Coronado Springs Resort. That facility has 3 huge convention center rooms that could be broken up into 4-5 practice locations. Teams could conduct practice/meetings without ever having to leave their hotel.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

18 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

There’s no way you could have 2 games under the same roof at once. You could set up a game court in each building at the sports complex and run 3 arenas that way. It’s rumored that the teams would be staying at the Coronado Springs Resort. That facility has 3 huge convention center rooms that could be broken up into 4-5 practice locations. Teams could conduct practice/meetings without ever having to leave their hotel.

Correct, Coronado is the rumored hotel.  It makes the most sense as it has the convention meeting room space, the amount of rooms, and is isolated from other locations for a security standpoint.  Its not connected to any other resorts or parks.

Wouldn't they be trying to somewhat limit the number of people in the building at any one time?  Meaning, would there really be multiple simultaneous games occurring?  Sorry if it's already been confirmed that there will be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Seems like two games at once, separated by a curtain, would be awful for TV. So many whistles, horns, maybe different public announcers? 

Four games per day on two courts per venue seems likely, with an alternating time schedule between courts. 

Seeing how there are three buildings being used, I doubt this will ever happen. 

Archived