NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

45 minutes ago, TheRoman said:

I doubt they’ll go full-time with them, as minimalism is all the rage in sports nowadays, but they could come back as a full-time throwback or inspire a city-edition uni

The Nuggets already had two city unis with modernized rainbow mountains.

NBA City Edition: The jerseys, T-shirts and merch you can buy ...

Nike Men's Gary Harris Denver Nuggets City Edition Swingman Jersey ...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Nuggets already had two city unis with modernized rainbow mountains.

NBA City Edition: The jerseys, T-shirts and merch you can buy ...

Nike Men's Gary Harris Denver Nuggets City Edition Swingman Jersey ...

And those are 1,000x better than their regular set. They're unique and memorable. You can remove the word "Nuggets" from the jersey and still know which team it is. Solid branding. 

15 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Not-so-bold prediction: The Nuggets rainbow mountains are the ball-in-glove of the NBA and it's only a matter of time before they fully re-adopt it. 

You're not wrong but IMO the Milwaukee of the NBA is... Milwaukee. The Irish rainbow is beloved, unique, and I think it would have to be involved in an ideal Bucks set.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

And those are 1,000x better than their regular set. They're unique and memorable. You can remove the word "Nuggets" from the jersey and still know which team it is. Solid branding. 

They're ok. The skyline used is so old, blocky, and out of date that it brings it down a notch. 

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Like WSU151 said, they’re okay. The black and rainbow stripes don’t mix up well, it just seems like the design was rushed and unpolished, like 90% of the city unis

2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

You're not wrong but IMO the Milwaukee of the NBA is... Milwaukee. The Irish rainbow is beloved, unique, and I think it would have to be involved in an ideal Bucks set.

But, aren't they already doing this? Sure, the current Bucks set doesn't incorporate red, but the side paneling is a pretty clear homage to the Irish rainbow era. And that's the primary uniforms. In my mind, the Bucks have already embraced this nod to their past. 

The Nuggets have yet to treat their iconic '80s look as anything other than a throwback alternate. 

6 minutes ago, Pyromania1983 said:

I found this tweet from Sam Amico interesting. I wonder if anything truly gets done regarding cutting down of uniforms within a team's set. I do wonder, however, because don't these jerseys make a lot more revenue in the long run?

Are the owners actually paying here? I could see Nike helping cover the cost. Even if the owners were paying, I would think the break-even point from merchandise on replica and authentic jerseys isnt that many units.

25 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Are the owners actually paying here? I could see Nike helping cover the cost. Even if the owners were paying, I would think the break-even point from merchandise on replica and authentic jerseys isnt that many units.

There's a cost with signage and additional courts, but it's hardly budget-busting.

Pretty sure Nike covers all apparel costs. 

On 5/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I definitely remember hearing that at the time. Kind of an arrogant move, right?

It was sad when the Nuggets went from this, which was shiny and fun!

carmelo-anthony-of-the-denver-nuggets-br

to this, which was dull and lifeless:

106942103_original.jpg?1295305103

The final form of that set wasn't much better:

9193079-kris-humphries-nba-denver-nugget

I am pretty sure manufacturers stopped using that shinny material because it couldn't breathe that well

On 5/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I definitely remember hearing that at the time. Kind of an arrogant move, right?

It was sad when the Nuggets went from this, which was shiny and fun!

carmelo-anthony-of-the-denver-nuggets-br

to this, which was dull and lifeless:

106942103_original.jpg?1295305103

The final form of that set wasn't much better:

9193079-kris-humphries-nba-denver-nugget

My favorite version of this set is the 2008/10. Shiny fabric, but the navy trim allowed the gold on the sides to not get lost, and the pickaxe>>>DN. The light blue became too washed out with the Rev30 template

spacer.png

But overall I think the Royal, yellow, red of the Colorado flag and the Mile High City alts is the correct color scheme. Just happy they ditched those awful navy and yellow jerseys as fast as they could. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

20 hours ago, WSU151 said:

There's a cost with signage and additional courts, but it's hardly budget-busting.

Pretty sure Nike covers all apparel costs. 

I have zero proof, sources or anything, but I would think the cost of additional courts are written into the Nike contract that Nike pays for those. Ultimately, isn't the existence of a black court for the Clippers strictly produced to sell black jerseys for the Clippers? I think that with competition for the jersey contract, the 30 billionaire owners of the league would probably be smart enough to get Nike to pay for the courts. The owners are selling uniform ads, I doubt there's any pennies left behind.

3 minutes ago, schlim said:

I have zero proof, sources or anything, but I would think the cost of additional courts are written into the Nike contract that Nike pays for those. Ultimately, isn't the existence of a black court for the Clippers strictly produced to sell black jerseys for the Clippers? I think that with competition for the jersey contract, the 30 billionaire owners of the league would probably be smart enough to get Nike to pay for the courts. The owners are selling uniform ads, I doubt there's any pennies left behind.

I'd think we'd see more alternate courts though if Nike promised to cover the cost for any and all courts (especially pre-19/20)...no reason for owners to say no. 

It's difficult to imagine that actually being a money-loser for teams. We saw recently when it was widely reported that MLS, as a league, stopped doing third jerseys because the apparel sales weren't profitable enough.

If anything I think the way Nike (and other partners, New Era et al) do it seems to be smart, from a purely capitalist perspective, in creating new identities to sell all kinds of merch around. Plenty of people aren't gonna buy jerseys, for cost and style reasons. But they've built entire new product lines in the last couple years around these toss-off identities. Miami has their whole Vicey identity, Toronto can go both Full Canada and Full Drake, no Celtics fan needs any new gear (even throwback) but maybe they want a metallic-gold-and-faux-Gaelic Boston hat.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

22 hours ago, Pyromania1983 said:

I found this tweet from Sam Amico interesting. I wonder if anything truly gets done regarding cutting down of uniforms within a team's set. I do wonder, however, because don't these jerseys make a lot more revenue in the long run?

I think that four jerseys is fine. If you're not replacing the City/Statement/Whatever jerseys EVERY YEAR! Let these jerseys run a course of two or three or however long the teams want and see what happens then. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Home/Road/Alt/Classic. Done.

The NBA may be the messiest league brand-wise in professional sports now and while the expanded identities may be great for sales, in my opinion it’s been a trainwreck in terms of brand consistency and unity to varying degrees team by team.

I’d gladly welcome some reigning in overall, and maybe an expansion of the classic edition program if there’s concern over apparel revenue. I think Charlotte presented a great model for an expanded Classic Edition program: allow teams to rotate through one locked-in throwback set over the course of 2-3 seasons, that way you maintain some consistency in one of your uniform slots while still releasing something new to wear and sell over those seasons. Once that expires, teams could move onto another throwback set if they wish and start the cycle over with that one. So for example, the Magic could lock in the Shaq/Penny set and wear the white, black, then blue over three seasons. Then after that expires, they could move onto the T-Mac set and wear the white and blue for the next two. Voila, you’ve released five jerseys in five seasons while honoring your history and brand instead of diluting and confusing it.

I really don’t think there’d be terrible brand confusion with that either, as that’d only be one “alternate identity” instead of (in some cases) two or three, and many teams are still wearing color schemes that’d match with throwbacks and aren’t terribly different. Plus I’ve never considered throwbacks a problem anyways, as honoring a past brand isn’t nearly as egregious as force feeding a completely new and different one that clashes with your present brand.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I always liked the way these looked. If the Nuggets chose not to make an entire set based on the modernized skyline uniform, this would be a good starting point.

gettyimages-1093843216_0.jpg?w=756&h=443

Archived