NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Copper was deliberately part of the color scheme as a nod to Utah’s copper mining. The team’s never said this, but I always saw it as nodding to Utah’s redrock as well. It was not at all out of place, fit the “natural Utah” concept, and in my opinion was a very crucial color that anchored the whole scheme.

I appreciate the argument for copper's symbolism, I just think it's an ugly color that doesn't really work for sports (where teal is a gorgeous color that doesn't fit the Jazz). If applied in a way that appears metallic, I could see it being successful, but it's especially difficult in a flat logo graphic. IMO both the 90s Jazz and old DBacks would be improved by simply dropping the copper, though the latter is much less offensive.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jazz' double blue look was awful, but could have been salvaged if they used purple in place of navy. 

The Utah Jazz' 90s logo was abused by the end though. It was like the New Age Outlaws' boombox from 90s WWF. It was always smashed up but they kept taping it back together, refusing to let it die. 

The original was a masterpiece of 90s design. It probably should have been retired when the 90s trends died, but no. They ruined it with the double blue recolour, as admiral pointed out. And then they recoloured it in their neo-retro colour scheme before finally getting rid of it. 

Honestly? The Jazz are in a good spot with their sorta-retro look. 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, the admiral said:

The Grizzlies frustrate me immensely because they needed an interesting color scheme to stand out but went with triple (!) blue and gold. Brown with sky blue or sea foam green (think of the latter as an evolution of Vancouver's black and teal) would have been extremely cool. 

But they use enough gold trim, they were the best of the double blues.

Memphis had the better home/road standard set, but Denver had the better alt. I guess the whole "Memphis blues" thing made sense but they did have precedent for a more interesting and different color scheme, though. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I always tried really hard to like the Melo Nuggets set, but the color scheme always just looked “off” to me, liked they’d just moved from San Diego to Denver last minute, pulled a Pilots-to-Brewers, and didn’t have enough time to change their SoCal colors or something. I just kept thinking “beach” instead of “mountains” when I saw it. Maybe if they’d been a strong cobalt blue, gold, and white they’d have had the brighter look they were going for while looking a little more right to me. That’s just my (probably unpopular) opinion though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I always tried really hard to like the Melo Nuggets set, but the color scheme always just looked “off” to me, liked they’d just moved from San Diego to Denver last minute, pulled a Pilots-to-Brewers, and didn’t have enough time to change their SoCal colors or something. I just kept thinking “beach” instead of “mountains” when I saw it. Maybe if they’d been a strong cobalt blue, gold, and white they’d have had the brighter look they were going for while looking a little more right to me. That’s just my (probably unpopular) opinion though.

To further your point, I believe one of the reasons why they went with baby blue and gold was because then-GM Kiki Vandeweghe was an UCLA alum. There's a Denver Post article that talks about it, but it's pay walled. https://www.denverpost.com/2009/04/25/carolina-columbia-theyre-still-colorful/ 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

18 minutes ago, kimball said:

To further your point, I believe one of the reasons why they went with baby blue and gold was because then-GM Kiki Vandeweghe was an UCLA alum. There's a Denver Post article that talks about it, but it's pay walled. https://www.denverpost.com/2009/04/25/carolina-columbia-theyre-still-colorful/ 

I definitely remember hearing that at the time. Kind of an arrogant move, right?

It was sad when the Nuggets went from this, which was shiny and fun!

carmelo-anthony-of-the-denver-nuggets-br

to this, which was dull and lifeless:

106942103_original.jpg?1295305103

The final form of that set wasn't much better:

9193079-kris-humphries-nba-denver-nugget

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The saving graces of the powder blue look was the shiny fabric and the absence of navy. Once they switched to the matte fabric in @DG_ThenNowForever's middle pic, that was the beginning of the end. The yellow skyline alts were good, but they quickly committed to navy after those were released and we ended up with this set.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_08_at_7.49.07_PM.150

jNTsTyQ.png

I hated all of those sets equally frankly! White, powder blue, and a light yellow was just way too light and desaturated a color palette for me. That's why I liked the navy alternate; it had less of that ugly chonky 00s typeface AND the navy base, while cliche, grounded the rest of the color scheme and made the gold in particular "pop" a little more nicely.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

In most cases, shiny basketball uniforms look awful and dated, Denver being a prime example. That matte fabric look worked IMO, while the shift toward navy made it feel more generic. The changes since have kept them boring.

The yellow rainbow alts were the best thing the Nuggets have ever done and one of my favorite looks period. It was a damn shame they moved right past 'em.

Emmanuel%20Mudiay%20yellow%20uni%20walks

Honestly, i've never been fond of the previous Nuggets set at all. The striping was way too busy, wordmark and numbers had too many outlines. I would agree that the first iteration of the set was the superior one, but I feel that the current look, new colors and all, is by far a better set.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

2 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The saving graces of the powder blue look was the shiny fabric and the absence of navy. Once they switched to the matte fabric in @DG_ThenNowForever's middle pic, that was the beginning of the end. The yellow skyline alts were good, but they quickly committed to navy after those were released and we ended up with this set.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_08_at_7.49.07_PM.150

These fonts are far better then the Aachen Bold fonts that debuted in 2003. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Not-so-bold prediction: The Nuggets rainbow mountains are the ball-in-glove of the NBA and it's only a matter of time before they fully re-adopt it. 

I doubt they’ll go full-time with them, as minimalism is all the rage in sports nowadays, but they could come back as a full-time throwback or inspire a city-edition uni

Archived