kimball

NBA Changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 

That double-blue set is pretty close to the worst in NBA history. Completely lifeless. 

 

The word mark really did it no favors, either. Give me the note mark, the flying mountain mark, even the current modern-simple mark... but this is just not good! 

 

ay50be4b88a62sfrggwxf6gwy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VikWings said:

 

Agree with pretty much all of this.

 

But I do actually like the light blue one from that Williams era.

 

deron-williams-of-the-utah-jazz-looks-ac

 

Honestly forgot about this uniform..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VikWings said:

 

Agree with pretty much all of this.

 

But I do actually like the light blue one from that Williams era.

 

deron-williams-of-the-utah-jazz-looks-ac

 

I've always thought if they took this uniform and replaced the navy with purple, they'd have the basis for a great set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

 

The word mark really did it no favors, either. Give me the note mark, the flying mountain mark, even the current modern-simple mark... but this is just not good! 

 

ay50be4b88a62sfrggwxf6gwy.gif

 

I'd argue that they were close to a good wordmark there but just missed the mark. This was my attempt to fix it from a concept I made a couple years ago:

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Digby said:

 

The word mark really did it no favors, either. Give me the note mark, the flying mountain mark, even the current modern-simple mark... but this is just not good! 

 

ay50be4b88a62sfrggwxf6gwy.gif

 

Yeah they needed to jazz it up a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, WSU151 said:

 

That double-blue set is pretty close to the worst in NBA history. Completely lifeless. 

 

Wouldn't say so. There was the post-LeBron Cavs set and the Brooklyn Nets to this day. Jazz was more interesting than both of those, and that light blue alternate was very nice.

 

Also, that black and copper alternate looked good and very appropriate to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, truepg said:

Wouldn't say so. There was the post-LeBron Cavs set and the Brooklyn Nets to this day. Jazz was more interesting than both of those, and that light blue alternate was very nice.

 

The navy and white Jazz set had no connection to the logo. The wordmarks on the jerseys and shorts were found nowhere else in the team's identity. No real reason for a generic drop-shadowed font. 

 

Brooklyn's uni at least ties to the logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

The navy and white Jazz set had no connection to the logo. The wordmarks on the jerseys and shorts were found nowhere else in the team's identity. No real reason for a generic drop-shadowed font. 

 

Brooklyn's uni at least ties to the logo. 

 

Very well wasn't, but it was still visually more interesting than those two. And the Nets' logo is a laughable piece of crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 4:44 PM, WSU151 said:

The wordmarks on the jerseys and shorts were found nowhere else in the team's identity.

 

You can have your reasons for disliking that Jazz set, but this isn't a very good one.  Would you make this same complaint about the Celtics, Bulls, and Knicks uniforms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

 

You can have your reasons for disliking that Jazz set, but this isn't a very good one.  Would you make this same complaint about the Celtics, Bulls, and Knicks uniforms?

 

Ok fair... The Bulls and Knicks have logo(s)on the shorts, which is better than what the Jazz had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jy1tqovzbqgvrp2a5phwtvdfh.gif

 

This was possibly the worst recolor job in the NBA's recolor era, too. What used to be a well-layered logo is all smashed together: I think black, copper, and teal all got recolored to navy blue. You had all these different elements and here it's just a big blob. The purple that remains in the center of the logo and had been the Jazz's main color from day one was nowhere on the uniforms. And unlike other teams that did primary recolors with secondaries acting as backdoor primaries, they never even bothered with that, they just had a whole mismatched set. Awful work all around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

jy1tqovzbqgvrp2a5phwtvdfh.gif

 

This was possibly the worst recolor job in the NBA's recolor era, too. What used to be a well-layered logo is all smashed together: I think black, copper, and teal all got recolored to navy blue. You had all these different elements and here it's just a big blob. The purple that remains in the center of the logo and had been the Jazz's main color from day one was nowhere on the uniforms. And unlike other teams that did primary recolors with secondaries acting as backdoor primaries, they never even bothered with that, they just had a whole mismatched set. Awful work all around. 

 

You're not wrong, but I'd still take this logo over the original because it's much less busy and loses the ugly and out of place colors in the scheme (copper, black, teal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

 

You're not wrong, but I'd still take this logo over the original because it's much less busy and loses the ugly and out of place colors in the scheme (copper, black, teal).

Copper, purple, black, and teal are phenomenal when done right. Take this for example05_24648ded-c80f-421b-8570-2421880fc30e.Diamondback2Tone4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

 

You're not wrong, but I'd still take this logo over the original because it's much less busy and loses the ugly and out of place colors in the scheme (copper, black, teal).


Copper was deliberately part of the color scheme as a nod to Utah’s copper mining. The team’s never said this, but I always saw it as nodding to Utah’s redrock as well. It was not at all out of place, fit the “natural Utah” concept, and in my opinion was a very crucial color that anchored the whole scheme.
 

Black was definitely out of place, yes, and maybe you could argue teal was too with sky blue already in use (though the teal shade they used reminded me a bit of pine trees and worked for the concept too), but copper was absolutely essential to that color scheme in my opinion.

Edited by FinsUp1214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best the jazz looked was the last rebrand under adidas, the soccer inspired alt could be dropped but that home away and green alt were gorgeous and a top 5 NBA set at the time. The purple copper and black are extremely overrated, the 90's uniforms were disgusting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't know why the Jazz switched from a normal nice side panel to the half sandwich sliced diagonally thing. It looks like crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I still don't know why the Jazz switched from a normal nice side panel to the half sandwich sliced diagonally thing. It looks like crap. 


Yeah, I really don’t like it either. I think the market-speak was that the panels (as well as the ends of the jersey numbers) were “cut” at the same angle as the wordmark, but I think that was a bit corny, unnecessary, and not a good unification effort given that the modern elements still kind of clash with the classic wordmark to me. I’m of the opinion that if they’re going to stick with the classic note look, they ought to use a traditional style uniform to mesh better with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:


Copper was deliberately part of the color scheme as a nod to Utah’s copper mining. The team’s never said this, but I always saw it as nodding to Utah’s redrock as well. It was not at all out of place, fit the “natural Utah” concept, and in my opinion was a very crucial color that anchored the whole scheme.
 

Black was definitely out of place, yes, and maybe you could argue teal was too with sky blue already in use (though the teal shade they used reminded me a bit of pine trees and worked for the concept too), but copper was absolutely essential to that color scheme in my opinion.

 

I believe that technically purple and teal were the main colors since they were the connections to the original Jazz purple/green. The copper replaced gold and blue/black  were added to round out the scheme.

(this is my supposition based on reading through the small number of articles that were produced at the time)

 

Key point of humor: John Stockton says of the new colors "They're subtle. They're not crazy."

Little did he know that just 8 years later the Jazz would find a color scheme so subtle it was positively catatonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought of purple and sky blue as Utah's main colors to that palette because they were the two colors in the JAZZ letters and the colors inside the roundel, but other than that, there really wasn't a lot of sky blue in the rest of the uniforms or on the court. There was much more teal (which I also took to represent spruces or pines to go with the purple mountains, blue sky, and copper mines). The mind plays tricks.

 

There was nothing wrong with how they sparingly used black in the logo. The black alternates--->de facto roads were too much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.