NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I always liked the way these looked. If the Nuggets chose not to make an entire set based on the modernized skyline uniform, this would be a good starting point.

gettyimages-1093843216_0.jpg?w=756&h=443

The best of all their new sets.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I always liked the way these looked. If the Nuggets chose not to make an entire set based on the modernized skyline uniform, this would be a good starting point.

gettyimages-1093843216_0.jpg?w=756&h=443

I'm not a big fan of "Mile High City" wordmark, but IMO as a design yes this is their best set from primaries uniforms.

4r2eer.png

That set looks okay, but would be a lot better if it just said "DENVER" in a straight line instead of "MILE HIGH CITY" in a circle. They overthought that one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/27/2020 at 10:39 AM, gosioux76 said:

But, aren't they already doing this? Sure, the current Bucks set doesn't incorporate red, but the side paneling is a pretty clear homage to the Irish rainbow era. And that's the primary uniforms. In my mind, the Bucks have already embraced this nod to their past. 

The Nuggets have yet to treat their iconic '80s look as anything other than a throwback alternate. 

The Bucks Irish Rainbow is more an easter egg than anything else.  Just another design element thrown in, among an endless series of terrible colors.  They nod to the past as they turn their back on it.

The problem with the Nuggets is they can't decide on a color palette and the sorta colors they have are an established poor combination in sports.  If you asked the average guy in a sports bar the colors of the Nuggets, he'd have to think for a second.  This puts them solidly with the Bucks, Jazz, Cavs and Pelicans

I like those mile high uniforms, only nitpick is the mountain design they have on the shorts which kinda just looks like a stain since it's just a darker blue. Would have liked to see a white or yellow mountain outline for contrast like what the other jerseys do

also correct me if I'm wrong but I think the nuggets might have the most colors used for a teams branding. Obviously white, along with blue, navy blue, maroon, and yellow. 

IMG-7122.gif

12 hours ago, DavidDunn21 said:

The Bucks Irish Rainbow is more an easter egg than anything else.  Just another design element thrown in, among an endless series of terrible colors.  They nod to the past as they turn their back on it.

The problem with the Nuggets is they can't decide on a color palette and the sorta colors they have are an established poor combination in sports.  If you asked the average guy in a sports bar the colors of the Nuggets, he'd have to think for a second.  This puts them solidly with the Bucks, Jazz, Cavs and Pelicans

I 100% agree with this. The NBA, more than any other league, has the worst history of brand inconsistency. I still can't believe the Pistons had an aqua blue period. Of the ones you mentioned, only the Cavs appear to have embraced a degree of consistency with wine and gold. But the annual onslaught of alternate uniforms just continues to muddy each team's brand story. 

1 hour ago, pelicanfan said:

Most consistent teams I can think of when it comes to colors might be the Spurs, Nets since they moved to Brooklyn, Pelicans since they were created, and Hornets excluding New Orleans and the bobcats. 

Brooklyn did have those Dodger inspired alternates.

usatsi_7822503.jpg?w=1000&h=750

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Pelicans jerseys raise awareness of mental health issues

May 29, 2020 - 20:25 PM

The Class A Advanced Myrtle Beach Pelicans planned to wear specialty jerseys Sunday, May 31, which would been Mental Health Awareness Night. In the absence of actual baseball, the team unveiled the design and used it as a “Wallpaper Wednesday” […]

Read More...

On 5/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, JPDesign said:

I like that uniform too. But I hate nickname jerseys. Mile High City, Buzz City, The Land, etc. All terrible IMO.

I like the ones where the name is actually used and carries some cultural significance for the city, but hate the ones that try too hard to make something up.

In other words... Mile High City works for me, Buzz City is stupid.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Most consistent teams I can think of when it comes to colors might be the Spurs, Nets since they moved to Brooklyn, Pelicans since they were created, and Hornets excluding New Orleans and the bobcats. 

Boston, Lakers, Knicks, anyone?

Then you can add the Suns, Blazers and Magic too, up until the last slate-orange alternate.

4 minutes ago, henburg said:

I like the ones where the name is actually used and carries some cultural significance for the city, but hate the ones that try too hard to make something up.

In other words... Mile High City works for me, Buzz City is stupid.

I still rather teams don't use nicknames on jerseys, but I'd be ok with a Queen City jersey. I don't mind Mile High City, Motor City is not great, things like PHX and ATL are fine with me, but sometimes you just don't need to use a nickname, you know?

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I 100% agree with this. The NBA, more than any other league, has the worst history of brand inconsistency. I still can't believe the Pistons had an aqua blue period. Of the ones you mentioned, only the Cavs appear to have embraced a degree of consistency with wine and gold. But the annual onslaught of alternate uniforms just continues to muddy each team's brand story. 

Just my opinion, but you're either

A. a red team

B. a blue team

C. a red-white and blue team

D. other

The Cavs' identity sucks because they've jumped back and forth from a red team to a blue team.  In addition, Cleveland has been both a red team AND a orange team, another no-no. 

The Bucks identity sucks because they've abandoned their corner of red and green to dabble with cream and blue.  They crossed the red/blue divide and also they have far too many non complimentary colors.

The Jazz identity sucks because they've used every color imaginable including a black and baby blue phase.  They are somehow both a green and purple and navy team.  Some of this can be tolerated due to the team's Mardi Gras roots, but they don't play in New Orleans anymore.

8 hours ago, kimball said:

Brooklyn did have those Dodger inspired alternates.

usatsi_7822503.jpg?w=1000&h=750

If only they didn't have those god damn sleeves.

It also would have been nice if they got permission to use the Brooklyn script or red front numbers to "complete" the look.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:35 PM, DavidDunn21 said:

Just my opinion, but you're either

A. a red team

B. a blue team

C. a red-white and blue team

D. other

The Cavs' identity sucks because they've jumped back and forth from a red team to a blue team.  In addition, Cleveland has been both a red team AND a orange team, another no-no. 

The Bucks identity sucks because they've abandoned their corner of red and green to dabble with cream and blue.  They crossed the red/blue divide and also they have far too many non complimentary colors.

The Jazz identity sucks because they've used every color imaginable including a black and baby blue phase.  They are somehow both a green and purple and navy team.  Some of this can be tolerated due to the team's Mardi Gras roots, but they don't play in New Orleans anymore.

I can't tell you how much I hate that they've done this. 

So it's been mentioned by several teams that they can only wear throwbacks during anniversary or significant moment seasons. It's apparently a league rule. 

This has to be a new rule correct? I remember when the Kings debuted their adidas version of their current uniforms prior to the 16/17 season. They brought back the powder blue set and court from the previous anniversary / final season at Arco. 

The next year they were gone which coincided with Nike takeover/ruining league. Coincidentally we start hearing about this rule on throwbacks. 

3 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

So it's been mentioned by several teams that they can only wear throwbacks during anniversary or significant moment seasons. It's apparently a league rule. 

This has to be a new rule correct? I remember when the Kings debuted their adidas version of their current uniforms prior to the 16/17 season. They brought back the powder blue set and court from the previous anniversary / final season at Arco. 

The next year they were gone which coincided with Nike takeover/ruining league. Coincidentally we start hearing about this rule on throwbacks. 

I don’t think it’s a rule, just highly correlated. Teams with anniversaries are more likely to have classics. 

The Hornets and Pacers have worn throwbacks multiple years in a row with no anniversary mark. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived