NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

In my opinion, an abbreviation should only be used if it’s functional to help fit a name, such as “PHILA” and maaaaybe “OKC” (though I’m very borderline on that because the Thunder could just have “OKLAHOMA” over the numbers and “CITY” under them and it’d fit fine). Others like “ATL”, “PHX”, “NOLA”, “BKLYN”, etc. are not functionally necessary and don’t need to be on any uniforms whatsoever. Put abbreviations/shorthand on alternate logos or fashion items if you want to tie into to any local significance, but not on the jersey front. The full city name suffices for those teams just fine. 

And I’m hardline on nicknames, I don’t think any of them should be used whatsoever. Trotting out in a uniform that says “Rip City” or “North” among others is almost Brandiose level corny. There’s plenty of other things you can do to help your alternates stand out without having to go that route.

I'm from Atlanta,  and the city is commonly known as "The ATL"... You see it in movies, hear it in music,  and so on. So that's more than acceptable to me that its on the uniforms. I can say that PHX seems forced on a uniform,  as does Buzz/Rip city. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for nola I can confirm it is the nickname for New Orleans. Everyone here puts nola in their social media bios. Street art everywhere says it. Every clothing store sells shirts that says nola on it. Thought I’d put my input on that topic of nicknames.

IMG-7122.gif

I totally understand the significance of some abbreviations and nicknames and don’t mean to downplay that. And like I said in my earlier post, if a team wants to include alternate logos or merchandise with those abbreviations or nicknames to tie into that local significance, I think that’s fine. I just don’t think it belongs on a jersey is all, it comes across as more gimmicky than professional. That’s just my opinion. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, Satomiblood said:

ATL is a little too ubiquitous to not be used on a sports jersey. Also, I've seen NOLA a fair bit to at least warrant some use. Not so sure on the likes of PHX and BKLYN, though.

The Bklyn abbreviation is pretty widespread (not just in my avatar). Our public library even uses it in their logo:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgcAfiEf34K7r2SYMcnwn

the-chi.jpg

I never ever ever ever ever ever ever...want to see "Chi" on a Bulls jersey!! Rip city, Buzz City, etc.. Windy City would make me barf. Keep those names for Tshirts

Phx, ATL, Sac, and EVEN Phila.. shortened names has always looked dumb and out of place. .

I understand in the 50s or so..Back in the day it made sense for Philadelphia (too long). Growing up 80s/90s always had Sixers so i never had a problem. But now it makes me cringe..cause all I see is "Phila" and pronounce it as "Filaaaay"

Deuce_brand_and_filayyyy_basketball_wris

shado_logo.gif

I think the worst of all the nickname jerseys is Buzz City. Didn’t grow out of a title run — Clutch City & Rip City. Or grow from a non-sport city nickname — Motor City & The Land. It grew from a marketing firm trying to capitalize on the return of the Hornets nickname.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

55 minutes ago, kimball said:

I think the worst of all the nickname jerseys is Buzz City. Didn’t grow out of a title run — Clutch City & Rip City. Or grow from a non-sport city nickname — Motor City & The Land. It grew from a marketing firm trying to capitalize on the return of the Hornets nickname.

Charlotte should use Queen City, especially since Cincy doesn’t have an NBA team 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Safe to say the Utah alt court confirms they’re getting a classic set?

6 of 12 ...

Rockets

Kings

Grizzlies

Warriors

76ers

Jazz

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

I can't think of any significant anniversary they would be celebrating by throwing back to those jerseys though, 97 and 98 were the years they won the Western Conference and went to the finals. It almost makes me think they're giving those jerseys a newer, updated version and  those will be the City set and alt court

55 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

I can't think of any significant anniversary they would be celebrating by throwing back to those jerseys though, 97 and 98 were the years they won the Western Conference and went to the finals. It almost makes me think they're giving those jerseys a newer, updated version and  those will be the City set and alt court

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Classic editions don’t have to celebrate anniversaries, to my recollection the Kings and Rockets aren’t this year and there’s been others who haven’t.

This potential Jazz throwback has me stoked. The mountain set is certainly not the best they’ve ever looked, but there’s a whole lot of good nostalgia and memories to it for me as a 90’s kid Jazz fan. I’ve been wanting to see it come back as an alt for a while now.

I’m also excited to see what the Social Media team cooks up to go along with it. They had late 80’s themed stuff for last year’s throwback so I anticipate the possibility they’d do some 90’s stuff for this one.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived