College Football 2019

29texan

Oregon would create a lot of better looks if they focused more on highlighting the colors and logos of their branding. Instead, especially in marquee games, they spend too much time simply being a canvas for Nike tomfoolery.

But I enjoy their various looks and I like when they try new things and being an ever-changing modern looking over-hyped team is a cool niche. Their classic green and gold stripes look is not that good looking and fairly uninspired. Perhaps if I was a Duck myself I'd yearn for a return to normalcy, but I'm not and I don't need EVERY team to fit into some boxed idea of what I think is good design.

EDIT: FTR this and most of their stuff through the aughts is uglier than anything I've seen out of Oregon in the last ten years.

yWjrL5l.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Observation from channel flipping between two games.

Maryland vs Howard: Maryland is wearing those airbrushed flag helmets. Disappointing after seeing the white helmets with flag stripes they wore in their spring game. Howard's white uniforms have light gray stripes on them which can barely be seen at a distance. Howard's helmets are actually pretty nice.

Seconded on both points.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but it looks like the Iowa Hawkeyes made their logo a little bigger this year, or perhaps just thicker around the edges.  Seems like a pretty random change, but here is a comparison between this year and last.

spacer.png

spacer.png

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

This is not ugly. 

spacer.png

It ain't pretty either.  

Looks like a green crayon. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

36 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

It ain't pretty either.  

Looks like a green crayon. 

i'm just starting to think nothing they do can please some of you, it will always be something. Here they are in school colors, with the standard green shell and O logo, sublimated wing pattern and there is still an issue with the set because the color is a "crayon" LOL

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

If I were an Oregon fan I'd be pissed over them using generic numbers instead of those unique square ones.  Those numbers look like they're from UA.

I actually really like their current font, and I think most other Oregon fans agree. The Mariota-era font was better, but not by much IMO. The current font is more of a progression of the Mariota-era font, and the entire athletic department has adopted it now (the basketball programs have continued to use the font that matches the contours of the ‘O’ logo on their uniforms, but do use the new typeface in marketing materials and the like). The best thing about the new font IMO is that it looks like they’re gonna be sticking with it for quite a while. They’re using the new font on the updated turf, and the entire athletic department has really committed to using it in as many different ways as possible, which is something that didn’t even happen with the Mariota-era font. And I’m not really sure how it looks generic or like something from UA. Like I said, it’s more of a progression of the Mariota-era font than anything. There are actually quite a few similarities between the two if you look at them. In any case, the new font is worlds better than the clunky typeface they used from ‘16-‘17, and it’s nice to see them pick something and stick with it for a while.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Rose Bowl set is one of their better looks and could easily be built off of. That said, the kelly green pictured looks a bit washed out for whatever reason under the Rose Bowl lights -- maybe due to lighting, photography settings, etc. I prefer Oregon's primary look to be more of a forest green anyway. I like kelly as an alternate green for them, but when paired with bright yellow, there isn't enough contrast going on for me. I like their kelly as a stand-alone with their neutral palette -- white/silver/chrome/black/etc. 

ECMgg8FVAAATTYU.jpeg

29906170001_3767989630001_AP-South-Dakot

For me, the best part of the Rose Bowl look is the sublimated wing pattern on the shoulders. I wish a simple version of that remained for the new set. (There is nothing worth noting on the new shoulders/sleeves -- at least give us TV numbers?) The contrasting-colored wings can be a bit over the top, but I think the subtlety worked well to allow them to dress up or down depending on the helmet they use. They can look more traditional as pictured in the Rose Bowl by wearing school colors and a simple O helmet, or they can be the flashy Oregon we are used to with a chrome winged helmet, for example.

e19548a9e70b1d1918601f4e3514a9da.jpg

Also, I really liked the Mariota number font for the most part, with the main exception being Mariota's number. Not sure why Oregon can't seem to get an 8 looking right lately. The new 8 is somehow even worse. Thought it might look better being flipped the other way, but then quickly realized that would become a slashed 0. 

e4c_ecmbrtueaelun.jpeg

All that to say the Rose Bowl set was good, but maybe not quite ideal for me. :)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

13 hours ago, jsr862 said:

Can we just make a yearly Oregon unis thread,  I'm so over year to year seeing them popup hundreds of times per page with there trash. We know we get it you have 182739839293838 combos take it elsewhere.  More than half the college football world can care less about you. I actually stopped following this thread as much as I used to just because I'm so over seeing this Oregon trash.

They are polarizing by design, which leads to opposing opinions, and ultimately what they want -- discussion and attention. The fact that they've been pushing the envelope for 20 years has made them the poster child for CFB uniform design. It's hard not to discuss them here since that's what this thread is all about. I get your point, as these discussions can quickly become circular and repetitive when there isn't much else to talk about. But to be fair, if we weren't talking about Oregon, we'd be talking about the 182,739,839,293,838 uniform combinations worn by everyone else in CFB. Except none of them really grind our gears quite like Oregon. :)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I think that Oregon's best uniforms came from the Rose Bowl ear up until 2017/18. I loved the wing/feather pattern on the shoulders and it was unique to them. While I do think their current set is nice, it just feels too plain for a school that prided itself on having hundreds of different combos. There were definitely some duds from this set including the Mascot themed one and the Lewis and Clark set, but I think that until they debuted the Big Number set, they've lost something.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Needs gold pants because monochrome is always ugly. 

I think gold socks and a different facemask color would help more, and maybe not hide the stripes, the sublimated wings are some of the dumbest ideas Bc you can’t see them. Maybe them gold or white or something.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, j'villejags said:

ECMgg8FVAAATTYU.jpeg

29906170001_3767989630001_AP-South-Dakot

These look great, but they don't look like Oregon. They look like a modern take on the UNT Mean Green. Kelly green and white, wing patterns that call to mind UNT's eagle logo? It doesn't read as an Oregon Ducks uniform without their yellow/athletic gold. 

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

These look great, but they don't look like Oregon. They look like a modern take on the UNT Mean Green. Kelly green and white, wing patterns that call to mind UNT's eagle logo? It doesn't read as an Oregon Ducks uniform without their yellow/athletic gold. 

No doubt, I can't argue with that. It doesn't help that the Mean Green have copped Oregon's style a bit.

SoMiss_vs_UNT_20161119-5150.jpg

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't agree at all. Anyone that has followed college football or is aware of Oregon's branding with Nike (for 20 years now) would tell you that these looks exactly like an Oregon uniform. And while I wouldn't endorse the design choice, the yellow is present in the Nike logo and on the accessory equipment (at least in the bottom one).

I wouldn't bemoan anyone that wants a traditional look for Oregon, especially if you're a Ducks fan, but MOST people would associate the various elements in those jerseys, including the use of color, with the Oregon brand more strongly than the previous retro looks.

EDIT: Also, Oregon is a far more recognizable brand, especially within this context, than UNT. You might as well say that Michigan's winged helmet makes people think of Princeton.

23 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I don't agree at all. Anyone that has followed college football or is aware of Oregon's branding with Nike (for 20 years now) would tell you that these looks exactly like an Oregon uniform. And while I wouldn't endorse the design choice, the yellow is present in the Nike logo and on the accessory equipment (at least in the bottom one).

I wouldn't bemoan anyone that wants a traditional look for Oregon, especially if you're a Ducks fan, but MOST people would associate the various elements in those jerseys, including the use of color, with the Oregon brand more strongly than the previous retro looks.

EDIT: Also, Oregon is a far more recognizable brand, especially within this context, than UNT. You might as well say that Michigan's winged helmet makes people think of Princeton.

Great point. They do look similar in my examples but I also don't think a 'trend-setting' school like Oregon should make their design decisions based on what a school like UNT is doing. Especially when that school is imitating Oregon. UNT looks its best in those clean, Mean Joe Green throwbacks. 

Screen+Shot+2018-09-26+at+9.20.22+AM.png

5 hours ago, Cianfrocco said:

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but it looks like the Iowa Hawkeyes made their logo a little bigger this year, or perhaps just thicker around the edges.  Seems like a pretty random change, but here is a comparison between this year and last.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great catch!

56 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I have a very limited knowledge of college football compared to most and my first thought looking at those white, green, and silver unis was "that looks like a UNT uniform." 

19 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

examples but I also don't think a 'trend-setting' school like Oregon

Not wearing school colours and losing in nationally televised games is a trend? 🙃

4 hours ago, djam2410 said:

i'm just starting to think nothing they do can please some of you, it will always be something. Here they are in school colors, with the standard green shell and O logo, sublimated wing pattern and there is still an issue with the set because the color is a "crayon" LOL

It's not the color.  It's the monochrome, head-to-toe look that's completely devoid of any character.  

Oregon went from a Jackson Pollack painting to whatever this is.  The right answer lies somewhere in the middle.  

4829550_orig.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived