College Football 2019

29texan

Georgia and LSU will square off in the third SEC title game to take place at Mercedes Benz Stadium. I’ve documented these quirks before but this year marks another strange decision regarding the field.

2017: both teams use their regular home stadium end zone designs resulting in both teams with a natural turf background, Georgia in white, Auburn in blue. I’ve never liked this design choice because it feels weird to emphasize one team’s school colors whereas one team is only white. Also, there have been the odd years where one team’s entire end zone is colored and the other team’s is grass green.

spacer.png

2018: this year was my ideal design choice. Both teams got equal treatment. They did not do home stadium end zone designs but rather the school’s normal word marks using their primary colors for the text and a natural turf background.

spacer.png

2019: Georgia is back to using its home stadium end zone design with white text. LSU gets a similar treatment to Auburn in 2017 with their word mark in primary colors, however, this is not LSU’s home stadium end zone design. They use the contrasting purple and yellow end zones at Death Valley. I would have liked this much better if Georgia was in red or if both end zones had a color background. Both 2017 and 2019 feel unbalanced. Also of note: 1) the 50 yard line bears the CFB150 logo, 2) the SEC Championship and school logos have now been moved outside the yard markers closer to the sidelines, and 3) it looks like the yard markers are located a bit further inside the sidelines.

spacer.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Georgia and LSU will square off in the third SEC title game to take place at Mercedes Benz Stadium. I’ve documented these quirks before but this year marks another strange decision regarding the field.

2017: both teams use their regular home stadium end zone designs resulting in both teams with a natural turf background, Georgia in white, Auburn in blue. I’ve never liked this design choice because it feels weird to emphasize one team’s school colors whereas one team is only white. Also, there have been the odd years where one team’s entire end zone is colored and the other team’s is grass green.

spacer.png

2018: this year was my ideal design choice. Both teams got equal treatment. They did not do home stadium end zone designs but rather the school’s normal word marks using their primary colors for the text and a natural turf background.

spacer.png

2019: Georgia is back to using its home stadium end zone design with white text. LSU gets a similar treatment to Auburn in 2017 with their word mark in primary colors, however, this is not LSU’s home stadium end zone design. They use the contrasting purple and yellow end zones at Death Valley. I would have liked this much better if Georgia was in red or if both end zones had a color background. Both 2017 and 2019 feel unbalanced. Also of note: 1) the 50 yard line bears the CFB150 logo, 2) the SEC Championship and school logos have now been moved outside the yard markers closer to the sidelines, and 3) it looks like the yard markers are located a bit further inside the sidelines.

spacer.png

I get all of that about the details...but if I go back and watch the last two SECCGs, I'm definitely paying much more attention to the game. As long as you know which endzone is which, it really doesn't matter. 

9 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

I get all of that about the details...but if I go back and watch the last two SECCGs, I'm definitely paying much more attention to the game. As long as you know which endzone is which, it really doesn't matter. 

I’m right there with you. I’m a big Georgia guy and I’ll be there tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll be sweating too much to worry about it during the game. But pregame, this is just one of those quirks that bugs me.

15 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I’m right there with you. I’m a big Georgia guy and I’ll be there tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll be sweating too much to worry about it during the game. But pregame, this is just one of those quirks that bugs me.

Me too...Red&Black faithful! I totally understand your position as well. I would've personally liked a black endzone, with a red Georgia wordmark, and white outlines, and a yellow endzone, with purple wordmark for LSU. 

2 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Me too...Red&Black faithful! I totally understand your position as well. I would've personally liked a black endzone, with a red Georgia wordmark, and white outlines, and a yellow endzone, with purple wordmark for LSU. 

yeah. The MAC Championship is generic fonts on a Honolulu blue turf. 

17 hours ago, walkerws said:

yeah. The MAC Championship is generic fonts on a Honolulu blue turf. 

And they can't spell out Central Michigan. 

Sun Belt Championship is color vs color and Conference USA has FAU wearing those ugly grey pants.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

37 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

Georgia vs LSU is an EXCELLENT looking game. Could not ask for a better matchup in the SEC IMO 

Since nitpicking is what we do here, I will add that both teams need new number designs. Georgia especially, but LSU’s wonky block numbers aren’t good either. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Since nitpicking is what we do here, I will add that both teams need new number designs. Georgia especially, but LSU’s wonky block numbers aren’t good either. 

Nah, both number fonts are perfect. They’re unique without looking stupid (@Tampa Bay) and they’re simple enough that they work well with traditional uniforms. A traditional basic block font would definitely look fine, but I prefer the current fonts for both teams. It’s a pleasant touch of modernity to a pair of classic uniforms

18 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Nah, both number fonts are perfect. They’re unique without looking stupid (@Tampa Bay) and they’re simple enough that they work well with traditional uniforms. A traditional basic block font would definitely look fine, but I prefer the current fonts for both teams. It’s a pleasant touch of modernity to a pair of classic uniforms

Georgia’s number font suffers from being a bit too heavy and has weird width issues at the curves. It’s just a bad font. 

notre-dame-georgia-football-13981.jpg

LSU font is too narrow, causing some weird angles on the corners. The angle of the cutout on the top of the 8 seems different that those in the middle the 8.

jarvis-landry-ncaa-football-outback-bowl

They are just not as good as a more standard block. 

david-pollack-uga.jpg

pg-43-40u40-best-event-Getty.ashx?la=en&

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Georgia’s number font suffers from being a bit too heavy and has weird width issues at the curves. It’s just a bad font. 

notre-dame-georgia-football-13981.jpg

LSU font is too narrow, causing some weird angles on the corners. The angle of the cutout on the top of the 8 seems different that those in the middle the 8.

jarvis-landry-ncaa-football-outback-bowl

They are just not as good as a more standard block. 

david-pollack-uga.jpg

pg-43-40u40-best-event-Getty.ashx?la=en&

Both are slightly altered regular fonts though, which, even as the stickler I am for traditional designs, I like, their different and tasteful, unlike Oregon’s, the Titans, or the Bucs. I especially like Georgia’s I wouldn’t touch their uniform, even for something this small, for 100 years.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived