San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

2 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

I was a fan in the 80s and it didn't seem to be an issue back then when the Cubs, Indians, Mets, Athletics, Pirates, Padres, Giants and Rangers all used a colored road jersey

Oh, it's always been an issue to me. I'm of the mind that when Major League Baseball teams take the field they shouldn't be attired as though they're competing in a local men's slow-pitch softball league.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Went by the Padres store today and I’d bet my youngest child the other camo is the Navy’s new green digital camo pattern. They have it along with the marine one above on a bunch of merch like magnets and beer coozies. And it features the Padres word mark in the exact color of the secondary cap above (that sandy brown color). 

Here’s what the alt cap looks like next to the green camo. I guess it works. 

spacer.png

On another note, I haven’t seen that they officially announced the alt cap yet. 

1 minute ago, larrypep said:

Here’s what the alt cap looks like next to the green camo. I guess it works. 

spacer.png

On another note, I haven’t seen that they officially announced the alt cap yet. 

Not sure why the guy above thought that new alt cap doesn’t work with the green camo. There’s plenty of brown in that uni not including the word mark for it to match with. Same for the cap logo and the camo pattern. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

We exited baseball aesthetics' dark night of the soul circa 1993 when the last of the powder blues and pullovers were retired. From there, we should be sticking to buttoned white/grey orthodoxy but some teams have to ruin it, I guess. We even have teams re-installing plastic grass. It's a real problem.

Except teams have been wearing non-white and grey uniforms dating back to 1901. You could argue non white or grey jerseys are just as traditional to be quite honest. Trends change, styles change, people change, times change. It's what sets different eras apart and makes each decade unique. It would be a boring world if it was just white and grey every year from 1901-2020. Wouldn't you say? 

17 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Not sure why the guy above thought that new alt cap doesn’t work with the green camo. There’s plenty of brown in that uni not including the word mark for it to match with. Same for the cap logo and the camo pattern. 

I don’t know either, he was sort of hedging though, and he kept saying he wasn’t at liberty to describe the uniform, but two hours later they reveal it. It obviously works and given the amount of work the team put into designing everything I was thinking all along they wouldn’t have designed that unique alt cap if it didn’t match both alt uniforms.  

8 minutes ago, larrypep said:

I don’t know either, he was sort of hedging though, and he kept saying he wasn’t at liberty to describe the uniform, but two hours later they reveal it. It obviously works and given the amount of work the team put into designing everything I was thinking all along they wouldn’t have designed that unique alt cap if it didn’t match both alt uniforms.  

I mean I’d say the new brown alt cap works better with the USMC camo than its sandy colored predecessor. Also kinda cool now that they can have a single Sunday military cap that works with both USMC and USN style uniforms rather than the previous sandy cap for USMC and home blue for USN. 

Ok like everyone else I'l go ahead and put my 2 cents in ..  I love the return to Brown and Gold  just like just about everyone else. I believe that this is the best rebrand/ update  to a teams identity that we've seen in quite some time , all you have to do is look at the overwhelmingly positive responses on this board . I love the home Uni , would've like to have seen what front numbers with a little smaller wordmark might have looked like. I see what everyone is saying about the pinstripes with the sleeve and collar trim , but for me it works here. Now I haven't heard anyone mention this , but  a note to Derek Jeter and the rest of the Miami Marlins brass this is what a fresh rebrand is all about , no brown on brown , no unnecessary black and no redundancy with the hat logo on the sleeve ,that's not aimed at the Marlins, more so the Angels , Dodgers and other teams that have abandoned a secondary logo on the sleeve for the repetitive hat logo, love that they used the swingin Friar as the sleeve logo. I like the pinstripes on the road, I'm not sure where the "Cant have pinstripes on a road uni comes from but I guess I'm not necessarily a subscriber. I also like the Brown road,  but  like others I prefer it to be an alternate.  Overall great job Padres, you went from being a team without a real Identity of your own, to having one of the better ones in Baseball  A- 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, daveindc said:

IMG_20191109_191511-590x770.jpgpadres-new-uniform-compare-brown-gold-colours-590x551.jpg

13 hours ago, larrypep said:

spacer.png

I done let everybody else say what they had to say about this, and more may come after me, but for my two rusted Lincolns'worth...

Wow. Just...just...wow.

THIS is how you refresh a brand, and in so doing, the Padres just vaulted themselves to at least the (okay, my) top-2 looks in the league (the other being the Toronto Blue Jays). Amazing what attention to detail can do--and now, for the first time in ages, San Diego actually has a certifiably unique identity, and one they can own for a long, long time. There's nothing about this that I don't like or even have a question mark about (other than them designating brown over pinstripeless sand the primary road, but that's a small beef). Guess the Pirates now have some company in the primary colored-top world, now.

Sidebar: to those who make the correlation of these to UPS uniforms, you see in that correlation just how deep the impact of successful--and enduring--branding can go. In the case of UPS, it's such that anytime you see brown (if not brown and yellow) "out in the wild", your brain automatically connects that to UPS. So it's no surprise to me, then, that some people correlate this now-new brand of the Padres to UPS. However, this is now San Diego's look, so the more people warm up to the Padres, it's possible that increasingly more people will correlate brown and yellow to the Padres as well, in the same fashion that so many correlate pinstripes to the Yankees (I saw that discussion a few pages back, but I ain't even finna reignite it here 😁). That's how successful branding works, folks. Take notes.

And, off the heels of that, and due to the overwhelmingly positive response to this new set, I'm going to go ahead and issue this statement: watch how quickly brown catches on in other realms of pro sports--I'll go so far as to say brown will become the new black. (Or probably more accurately for the present day, brown will become the new anthracite.) It may only be a flavor of the moment, much like pink was for a spell there (see Sounders, Seattle and Madison, Forward for the latest examples in addition to CF Miami and my own hometown's Pensacola Blue Wahoos among others), but I believe we'll begin to see it more. To date, I think only three top-level pro teams employ/have employed it--the Cleveland Browns (duh), these Padres, and, should they ever revive them as a change kit, the Vancouver Whitecaps. I believe somehow, somewhere, some way, we'll begin to see brown become more prominent in the pro sports landscape--and should that happen, one can point right back to this moment in time right here and throw a nod of thanks to the San Diego Padres.

(I'm legit interested to see which NBA team will try it first...my money is on either the Wizards or the Hawks, but it may well end up being Memphis for all we know or some other wild card.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To come back to this thread, and say something I didn't get to last night: Anyone whose complaining about the fact the Padres opted to go with both Pinstripes & Trim..... yeah, no. The fact they decided to do both is unique to them now, as they become the 1st team to do it with a button-down & they nailed the thickness of it as well. 

Also, if any other team brings back road pinstripes, it should be the Twins IMO. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I’d love to see the Bucks add brown to their palette; it would be appropriately woodsy. 

Ooh, that's a good one. They'd probably have to make a decision on the Great Lake blue color that they have--and brighten up the green--but I can see brown working very well with green and cream--as well as give the deer the distinction of being the first top- level pro team to employ green and brown together. It occurs in nature all the time--why not the hardwood???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In case anyone missed it, here’s the official unveiling photo of the Padres 4th and 5th unis, the camo Military home Sunday unis. Left is the only real holdover from recent years, the USMC uni, which remains largely unchanged through now a 4th home/away uniform transition since it entered the rotation in 2011. Right is the new US Navy uni replacing the now defunct USN blueberry camo. 

spacer.png

7 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I mean I’d say the new brown alt cap works better with the USMC camo than its sandy colored predecessor. Also kinda cool now that they can have a single Sunday military cap that works with both USMC and USN style uniforms rather than the previous sandy cap for USMC and home blue for USN. 

They are both USMC camos, one is just desert and the other is jungle

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

In case anyone missed it, here’s the official unveiling photo of the Padres 4th and 5th unis, the camo Military home Sunday unis. Left is the only real holdover from recent years, the USMC uni, which remains largely unchanged through now a 4th home/away uniform transition since it entered the rotation in 2011. Right is the new US Navy uni replacing the now defunct USN blueberry camo. 

spacer.png

That’s not navy camo, navy’s newest camo is puke green, a lighter puke green, black, and sand

Archived