San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah. This is beautiful. Other than the return of Camo Jerseys and the Sand Uni being the Road Alt rather than the Primary Road Uniform, I have no complaints. It tries to be modern, with the Pinstripes+Piping combo, while actualy being traditional at the same time! Now THIS is how you do a rebrand! Trying something new while keeping it nice and good-looking at the same time. Trying to make a look that will last many years rather than an eyesore that will get 🔥 🔥 emojis for 5 minutes and then be hated on Opening Day.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Man, those are some nice Stirrups...

da0Lbhs.png

2 hours ago, Ark said:

Yes they would. There's a reason why men's fashion has turned from this

to this

You realize it's all cyclical, right? Baggy was "in" until it wasn't, then fitted and tight became "in." Give it five-ten years and baggy will be in again. This stuff all cycles out.

Anyway the Padres nailed this look. Everything works. I'm not 100% sold on the brown tops being the official road uniforms, but that sand pinstripe set is so nice I'll overlook the official designations.

Well done Padres. Now just never change.

I fully expect them to be in red, white, and blue in five years

It's an improvement for sure, but I'm not as in love with it as the majority seems to be. I don't care for the shade of brown. It's too dark and too desaturated, too close to black. As I'vesaid before, I'm tired of the 2004 font sticking around through redesigns and recolors -- go back to the drawing board once, please. I don't like road pinstripes and like them less when they intersect with cuff and collar trim. The scripts all look about 10% too big.

But it's the Padres, they're in their correct colors, you take what you can get.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

They'd look so much better without the pinstripes.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm tired of the 2004 font sticking around through redesigns and recolors

This is my biggest flaw w/ the rebrand.  The brown is too dark, also, but as admiral said, take what we can get.  This is the best they've looked in years.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Padres font is far from my most favorite thing in the world, but I have to say it hasn't aged nearly as bad as most of its late 90s/early 2000s contemporaries. And if there's one thing it's hard to crap on the Padres for, it's keeping some modicum of brand consistency.

Frankly, I can't think to equate the complaints here to anything but when Washington's NFL team brought back yellow pants. Sure, you could gripe about the striping inconsistencies. Or you could step back and recognize how much greater the whole is than the sum of its parts.

The pinstripe road alt is my favorite look. Road pinstriped uniforms look good. Not sure why you need an unstriped version of the sand pants for the brown top. I think pinstripes and colored tops look fine. Looking at you too Rockies. 

I have never been team brown, but this was very well done. 

This all looks incredible. I agree the PADRES word mark is big on the homes but aside from that, these are amazing. If I were a Padres fan I’d be snagging that Road Alt jersey immediately. I think the pinstripes on the sand are great! I agree the road pants are sorta bland compared to how alive the home and alts look but hopefully they’ll designate the pinstripes as the away look full time. My hope is that these look as great under the midday sun as they did in the artificial light.

can’t believe I’m saying this: well done Padres

9 hours ago, daveindc said:

IMG_20191109_191511-590x770.jpg

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God... it even has a watermark.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived