MLB Changes 2020

kimball

There are eight powder blue uniforms in the majors right now if you include the Ray's alt.  Of those, seven are paired with a cap that has a darker crown on it.   Seven have either a darker wordmark or a darker front number.   The Rangers are wearing powder blue uniforms with powder blue pants, a cap with a powder blue crown, and a white wordmark.   It's all pale and light and it all just looks... bleh.   No contrast.   All too light.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like the Brewers uniforms, I simply can't stand the gold panelled hats... Considering that their navy alts seem like the go-to away uniform, these caps are worn way too much. This feels like the Pirates ugly and unnecessary gold and white outlined P hats that shouldn't see the light of the day more than once a week (or never but I know this won't happen).

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

There was a big fight over the Nike logo competing with the interlocking NY and thus dominating the identity, seemingly going off that the swoosh's area is a certain percentage of the logo and thus is taking up that percentage of the identity.   But, perhaps from being here for so many years and being so intensely interested in uniform design and team identity and culture, the monogram isn't the identity.   The pinstripes, the raglan sleeves, every inch of that uniform is the identity.   And not just this uniform.   The thick 70's striping on the away grays that call back to the Bronx Zoo teams.   The bubble numbers on the sleeves of the Phillies' uniforms.   The double piping on the Braves' uniforms.   The red numbers on the Dodgers' uniforms.   The white/black/white piping that was sadly taken off of the White Sox's (how the crap do I plural possessive that one!?) uniforms that we all mourned the last off.   All of the uniform is part of the identity, so the swoosh in the large picture takes up a tiny percentage of it.   And I kinda already stopped noticing it until I saw the discussion here.   It's definitely obtrusive on some larger script uniforms (Reds, Rangers) but it's not the worst.

Personally, I only ever notice the swoosh if Im REALLY trying to notice it.  Just watching a game mindlessly, I never notice it.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

54 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

The Nationals are the road team tonight against the Blue Jays due to the Jays stadium issues, and I believe this is the first time they've worn the new matte road helmets.

God matte helmets look like crap (in my opinion).

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'd bet that the ones who hate the Rangers mono blues are younger people. It's nostalgic for older ones.

Same people who enjoy the Blue Jays light blue throwbacks.

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Personally, I only ever notice the swoosh if Im REALLY trying to notice it.  Just watching a game mindlessly, I never notice it.

Oh!   Jeez.   I wrote my big ol' reply earlier in the day and have watched parts of seven games since then and only noticed now after reading this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

15 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'd bet that the ones who hate the Rangers mono blues are younger people. It's nostalgic for older ones.

I know Im just one person, but im 22, love the Cardinals, Jays, and Twins powder blues, was clamoring for the Brewers to get a powder uni moreso than probably anyone else on this board... And I dont like the Rangers' powder uniform.

When you look at every other team to use powder blue, they really just used it as a base color similar to white, cream, gray, sand, etc.  Each team had a different color cap that left powder to just the base color on the jersey and pants. 

The Rangers are so close to a clean looking uniform, but the hat really throws it off.  Powder blue hats dont look good the same way white hats with white uniforms dont look good; there needs to be contrast.  Wear the blue cap with the powder uniform and you have a great uniform.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

13 hours ago, jp1409 said:

As much as I like the Brewers uniforms, I simply can't stand the gold panelled hats... Considering that their navy alts seem like the go-to away uniform, these caps are worn way too much. This feels like the Pirates ugly and unnecessary gold and white outlined P hats that shouldn't see the light of the day more than once a week (or never but I know this won't happen).

I think I agree with you here. 

It's better than the Pirates' alts, since the difference is more distinct than a couple outlines around the logo, but even so.   The gold panels are just a little too much.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think I agree with you here. 

It's better than the Pirates' alts, since the difference is more distinct than a couple outlines around the logo, but even so.   The gold panels are just a little too much.

Yeah, the Pirates (both alt caps) and the Mets (home alt cap) are the two teams on the "unnecessary alt cap due to the very little difference from the primary cap" list.

The Brewers panel cap is unnecessary because it looks bad and is far inferior to their primary cap.

Pirates have one cap, and should only have one cap.

Yellow P on a solid black cap. Nothing else is needed. Yes, this included the black P on mustard and the pillbox caps. All unnecessary.

(that said, I am a sucker for the old BP hats having the yellow brim/ black P outlined in yellow. But BP is different, not a game hat)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 7/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:
On 12/22/2019 at 2:35 AM, tp49 said:

Point of order, the Coliseum is in Uniondale, not (The Incorporated Village of) Hempstead.  I agree with the greater point even though I don’t remember a point in my lifetime where they made a major effort to market themselves in the city and that includes after the Brooklyn debacle.  Any Islander fan I know who’s from the city for the most part became a fan during the 80’s dynasty or moved to the city after growing up a fan on the Island.

Given the strong Long Island identity and fanbase in their history, I always thought the "New York" in the name was for New York State, not New York City.   I mean, their logo lops the outer boroughs (Queens and Brooklyn) off of the Island, ditching the City.

Uniondale is located in the Town of Hempstead, which is one of the three towns that make up Nassau County (the other two being North Hempstead and Oyster Bay).  Within the Town of Hempstead there is a Village of Hempstead that is adjacent to Uniondale.  In practice, a reference to "Hempstead" (unmodified) usually refers to the village.

And the supposition that the "New York" bit in the Islanders' name indicates the state makes a lot of sense.  I thought that for a long time.  But the historical fact is that the name was chosen in order to reflect the metropolitan area, so as to maximise the team's value and its television appeal around North America. 

But I am pleased that you know that the parts of New York City that lie on geographical Long Island are not included in the Islanders' logo.  And here we have to say "geographical Long Island", because a reference to "Long Island" (unmodified) denotes Nassau and Suffolk Counties.  This was not always the case; the default meaning of "Long Island" had been geographical for most of American history, hence the Battle of Long Island, fought in Brooklyn during the war for independence.  This meaning lingered even after Brooklyn and Queens became part of New York City in 1898, as can be seen in Long Island University, which was founded in Brooklyn in the 1920s. Through as late as the 1950s, Queens locations tended to be referred to as "Jamaica, Long Island", and so forth. That usage died out by the mid-1960s, by which time the default meaning of "Long Island" had shifted from the geographical to the socio-political, and the term came to be defined in contradistinction to New York City. So when the Islanders debuted in 1972 with a logo depicting Long Island, that depiction naturally showed only Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:
On 12/21/2019 at 1:52 AM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

This might just be me, but as someone who speaks Spanish regularly, through school and social rounds alike, Los Angeles Angels, is grammatically awkward. Angeles, is spanish for Angels (obviously). So at least for me, Anaheim or California is better than The Angels Angels.

Even In spanish, Los Angeles de Los Angeles is weird. Like people know what your talking about and so it makes sense. But it’s just... weird. Los Angeles de California, or de Anaheim sound much better.

Anaheim looks like it would be a pain to pronounce in Spanish.  "ah-nah-EH-eem"?

In my experience, people talking in Spanish refer to the team as the Serafines.  This is also reflected in the team's website: "Anaheim Stadium ha sido la casa de los Serafines desde que se mudaron desde Los Ángeles después de la temporada del 1965."

I absolutely love the observation about the pronunciation of "Anaheim"!  The letter H is mute in Spanish; so the word "Anaheim" appears to have three vowels in a row, creating a rather formidible pronunciation challenge. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Uniondale is located in the Town of Hempstead, which is one of the three towns that make up Nassau County (the other two being North Hempstead and Oyster Bay).  Within the Town of Hempstead there is a Village of Hempstead that is adjacent to Uniondale.  In practice, a reference to "Hempstead" (unmodified) usually refers to the village.

You forgot the two cities that also make up Nassau County, Long Beach and Glen Cove.  The reason a reference to Hempstead refers to Hempstead Village is because all of the unincorporated areas with TOH (and North Hempstead and the Town of Oyster Bay as well) have their own names be it Uniondale, East Meadow, Levittown, Roosevelt, Baldwin, etc. Don't get me started on the 64 incorporated villages that also makes up Nassau County, and yes I'm the weirdo who would know them all...Nassau County government layers, fun for the whole family.

Archived