NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Way worse than the Burger King jerseys. Yes, the Burger King jerseys are the one of worst alternates in NHL, but least the Burger King had better striping and numbers. That SS jersey’s numbers are so hard to read especially if you sat in the furthest seat section. Least Colorado had more colour, but the mountain looks more a bib or a tucked napkin and of course it’s awful too. Reminds me of MLB’s Turn Ahead the Clock, where most of teams wear “future” uniforms. Yes, they’re all horrible.  

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chrome helmet is the only good thing about this uniform and it’s barely a good thing. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The socks stripe pattern is really great for the Kings, but that’s about it. And while the chrome helmet is cool and looks decent, I can just see this being an actual trend which is pretty bad...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'll save everyone a read.  The full-time switch to the retros is something they're "still thinking about."  I don't know what's to think about.  The retros are universally lauded, the current set is universally hated, even by people who don't frequent this message board or follow uniform design in the slightest.

They're also looking for a way to reintroduce the horse-head or "blasty."

This team is so out of touch its unbelievable.

What I gathered from it is that the team is all but guaranteed to be going with the retros full time at some point, he just can't openly say it to the media. It's the most popular choice not just among the fans, but also the players & hockey ops department, which he mentions actually means a lot. 

As for the Blasty comments, he openly states that he enjoys it purely because of nostalgia to the early Iginla days. It doesn't sound like they have many plans for the logo besides throwing it on the odd t-shirt or hat.

20 hours ago, Morgo said:

The full-time switch to the retros is something they're "still thinking about."  I don't know what's to think about.  The retros are universally lauded, the current set is universally hated, even by people who don't frequent this message board or follow uniform design in the slightest.

They're likely thinking about it instead of just doing it because black has been a part of their look for a good chunk of the team's history at this point, including being worn by some of the franchises's most iconic players (Iginla, Gelinas, Kipprusoff, etc.) and moments (the Cup Final run in 2004).

I honestly would not at all be shocked if the team was considering updating the retros to the modern colors and using that as a primary set as much as they are considering going full-on throwback.

11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

What I gathered from it is that the team is all but guaranteed to be going with the retros full time at some point, he just can't openly say it to the media. It's the most popular choice not just among the fans, but also the players & hockey ops department, which he mentions actually means a lot.

I gathered that it's being considered, but nothing reads to me as saying "they're definitely doing it". It's the common "it may happen, but it may not" thing that teams say to cover their asses if something isn't decided upon but is being considered.

7 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

They're likely thinking about it instead of just doing it because black has been a part of their look for a good chunk of the team's history at this point, including being worn by some of the franchises's most iconic players (Iginla, Gelinas, Kipprusoff, etc.) and moments (the Cup Final run in 2004).

If the 2004 cup run was really that important to the team, they would have fixed what was ruined by RBK in 2007.  The current jerseys look nothing like what they used during that Cinderella run.  This looks like a serious hockey uniform and I don't think it'd be a stretch to call it a modern classic.

lzPelTl.jpg

This, on the other hand, doesn't get enough recognition for being one of the worst uniforms in the history of the sport.

TT1HK1A.jpg

I honestly would not at all be shocked if the team was considering updating the retros to the modern colors and using that as a primary set as much as they are considering going full-on throwback.

I don't care what they do at this point if it means we never have to look at the clash patch, the non-matching socks and those striped pant shells that never line up with the hideous side panels again.  It's mind blowing how the worst uniform of the Edge rollout was actually reconfigured to fit on a new template by a different company.  It should have been buried back in 2011 with all the other side panelled, piping-laden trash.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, McCarthy said:

Wow. Impressive leap to the straw man there, Bayney. No F****** obviously I wouldn’t want to see every team in the same template because what was the 2 goals in uniform design? Having 32 distinctive/recognizable brands and looking good. It wouldn’t look good if every team was in the same template and it wouldn’t help each team be distinctive or recognizable. Duh. If two out of the 70 something jerseys in this league using very different color schemes use kind of a similar template - no that’s not a problem. 

this is really telling on yourself. Nice work. 

I think it’s weird that you’re arguing for diversity of template, but when that same notion is applied to colors you, unprompted, brought up forced diversity. Quite curious that you’d go there. 

It's telling how? You think that my opinion on jersey colours is some sort of Freudian slip that uncovers my inherent racism? Lmao

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

20 minutes ago, Bayne said:

It's telling how? You think that my opinion on jersey colours is some sort of Freudian slip that uncovers my inherent racism? Lmao

your words, not mine. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

your words, not mine. 

So that is what you were implying. Wow ok. I don't know if you're trying to be funny or something so I'll just ignore it.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:09 AM, McCarthy said:

I think it’s weird that you’re arguing for diversity of template, but when that same notion is applied to colors you, unprompted, brought up forced diversity. Quite curious that you’d go there.

So now uniform opinions are an indicator of racism?  :lol:  Please tell me this was a self-aware bit lampooning the current state of outrage culture.

14 minutes ago, Morgo said:

So now uniform opinions are an indicator of racism?  

No. When someone outwardly says "That sounds awful to me. Its like forced diversity. "Oh look, we all the colours for all the teams, isn't it pretty?" :censored: that.", though? 

51 minutes ago, Bayne said:

So that is what you were implying. Wow ok. I don't know if you're trying to be funny or something so I'll just ignore it.

I wasn't trying to be funny. You couched it in the middle of an absurd straw man argument. I simply pointed it out. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

56 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

No. When someone outwardly says "That sounds awful to me. Its like forced diversity. "Oh look, we all the colours for all the teams, isn't it pretty?" :censored: that.", though? 

I wasn't trying to be funny. You couched it in the middle of an absurd straw man argument. I simply pointed it out. 

Yeah ok I made a ridiculous straw man argument. But then to suggest my jersey colour diversity statement has racist undertones is one of the more absurd things I've read about one of my opinions. Is 'diversity' a trigger word for you or something? 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I don't agree with his stance on this subject but he was clearly talking about the colour of uniforms.

12 hours ago, Bayne said:

Yeah ok I made a ridiculous straw man argument. But then to suggest my jersey colour diversity statement has racist undertones is one of the more absurd things I've read about one of my opinions. Is 'diversity' a trigger word for you or something? 

When the word follows the word "forced" within the context of a complaint about the idea of that very concept, yes. If that's not what you meant, then choose better words. This still isn't on me for pointing it out. 

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't agree with his stance on this subject but he was clearly talking about the colour of uniforms.

It really wasn't. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

When the word follows the word "forced" within the context of a complaint about the idea of that very concept, yes. If that's not what you meant, then choose better words. This still isn't on me for pointing it out. 

It really wasn't. 

I wasn't even talking about race and yet you're still trying to call me out on it. Just because I used a couple of words that you decided to misconstrue. "Forced diversity" is a legitimate criticism that does not automatically make someone racist by the way.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

I wasn't even talking about race and yet you're still trying to call me out on it. Just because I used a couple of words that you decided to misconstrue. "Forced diversity" is a legitimate criticism that does not automatically make someone racist by the way.

Maybe it's my location (upper Midwest) or my profession (legal), but "forced diversity" has a fairly strong race-related connotation for me as well. It definitely wouldn't have been my choice of words.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived