New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That pointed line is showing up everywhere in these teases.  It would be weird to not have it be part of the uniform.

Here's where I remind us all that in the off-season leading up to the Snatit's rebranding unveiling, the team utilized a lot of Greek pattern artwork in much of their promotional materials--but none of it showed up on the uniforms themselves. (Thankfully.)

Just offering a counterpoint.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

44 minutes ago, Buc said:

Here's where I remind us all that in the off-season leading up to the Snatit's rebranding unveiling, the team utilized a lot of Greek pattern artwork in much of their promotional materials--but none of it showed up on the uniforms themselves. (Thankfully.)

Just offering a counterpoint.

You think that Greek pattern would've somehow been worse than what they ended up with? 😁

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

It is a bit perplexing why the designers didn't push the elements a bit to make it just right. Granted, it is a very tricky problem to solve. That being said, I'd have rather they reduce the NEW YORK to make it more visually centered, or simply remove it. 

JetsLogo2019.jpg

‘Or went with this..

spacer.png

On 4/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Here's a quick Paint edit of what it could of looked like if the ball was lower and not covering the E and T, vs the actual logo:

jets-2.png  vs jets-3.png

That kinda looks like Stewie Griffin wearing NYE glasses that say JETS instead of spelling out the year.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:14 AM, BJ Sands said:

I was hoping the Jets would fix the JETS word mark. It's italicized (angular) and the E and T have sharp corners which work with the orientation. But the J and S have rounded corners, which really sticks out when next to the angular letters, like where the J and E meet on the bottom and the T and S meet on top.

99% of typefaces are a mix of curved and angular pieces. In fact, italic letterforms are traditionally more curvy and elegant because the design cues are meant to evoke handwriting. Rarely, if ever, does the fact that they are slanted dictate that they should be made more angular. Not that angular typefaces look bad as italic or oblique styles, but curved typefaces certainly look fine as italics and are much more common.

Truth be told, though, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets kept this typeface around simply because they commissioned a well-known type designer to create it specifically for them back in 1998 or whenever they launched it (Tobias Frere-Jones if I’m not mistaken). Personally, I don’t think it’s distinctive enough, nor do I think it’s exceptional enough to warrant keeping it around through an identity overhaul, but it was likely a big investment at the time and it’s quite possible they feel it’s a substantial part of their brand. As we can see, though, it’s very difficult to kern well and it’s damn near impossible to center words, especially with a J playing such an important role.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What is the official name of the Green used in the Jets' Color Rush uniforms?  Looks like an awful lot like this gentleman's tie.  And a likely color to go with full-time, since, you know, they've already proven they can use it.

"Apple Green" is a name they use in place of Kelly Green in some instances.  They have also use "Classic Green" in their golf line, which I would say lands between Kelly & Dark ("Gorge") Green. 

29 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Truth be told, though, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets kept this typeface around simply because they commissioned a well-known type designer to create it specifically for them back in 1998 or whenever they launched it (Tobias Frere-Jones if I’m not mistaken).

I thought it was done by Pentagram. Was TFJ working or commissioned by them at the time?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Though we’ve only seen a small fraction of the overall rebrand (and I’d like to hold off on making any real judgements until the uniforms are revealed), I have to say this logo leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping the Jets would go in a completely new direction rather than modifying a logo that’s already in the bottom half of the league. Moving to the color of that gentleman’s tie would be a positive step, though. (Then again, that would probably look different on matte fabric vs his silk tie)

1 hour ago, BearW17hNoName said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

It's probably just the lighting of the picture, but the green on the Jets draft caps almost looks like midnight green.

Either the lighting, or the Eagles' draft caps are actual green instead of midnight teal.

The logo is definitely a lighter green than the brim, though that could be just a material or lighting or whatever thing.

26 minutes ago, jayzcat said:

So I am one of those hoping this logo is a bad joke.  Take a look @ this link regarding SI posting info re: 2019 NFL Draft Hats.  No Jets hat and note regarding them being unveiled on Thursday.  Maybe just wishful thinking . . . maybe not: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/02/nfl-draft-hats-2019-new-era

I dunno. Are the other hats in line with the ones the German guys showed us? If so, I'd expect the Jets' hat is too and they just somehow happened to get hold of it before the rest of us. Plus, the logo closely matches what we saw on the leaked branding guide photo; same design, just the branding guide had a lighter shade of green, which could be caused by a very glossy paper.

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’m thinking the logo is just a main logo but they’ll use the NY underscored by that angle mark thing.

I think it'll be the team name underscored by the angle. The NY hasn't appeared in any of the new branding, has it? Either way, I guess we'll see.

For real though, how on earth do people genuinely think that this logo is somehow a "placeholder"? If they wanted a placeholder, wouldn't they use their current logo with a lighter green? Seriously, it's been seen on at least 2 separate instances of the draft hat, and also coupled with ALL THE OTHER DRAFT HATS IN THE GERMAN VIDEO, it seems like wishful thinking/the first stage of grief to think that a placeholder logo got all the way through production and shipping with all the other official hats. Some people really out here wildin'.

2 hours ago, slapshot said:

I thought it was done by Pentagram. Was TFJ working or commissioned by them at the time?

It’s possible. I know I’ve read an interview where he mentioned it. I’ll see if I can find.

EDIT: Found an old article that mentions it. Looks like Pentagram contracted custom type work to H&FJ back then:

https://www.commarts.com/features/hoefler-frere-jones

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, slapshot said:

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s possible. I know I’ve read an interview where he mentioned it. I’ll see if I can find.

omlllllllll

via typography.com on the "turbo & nitro" font page, aka Fonts by Hoefler & Co.:

We designed Nitro for Pentagram’s Michael Bierut, as part of a new identity for the New York Jets football team.

(link) https://www.typography.com/fonts/nitro-turbo/overview/

Archived