Montreal/Tampa Bay Rays name speculation

3 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

The Ex-Rays? It’s a double pun. Combining team names, and for the Rays leaving Florida for half their home games.

The fact that this possibility even exists makes me think that the Universe is in favour of this arrangement happening.

1 minute ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Split branding that's still similar. When they play in Tampa they still call themselves the Rays, in Montreal they tweak the name and become the Rois (Kings). Make the logo an R with a starburst. On the road they could just have the R as the chest logo to avoid favoritism.

Exceptionnel!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

IF this scenario makes it to frutition, call the team The Rays (no location identifier) and shift the cap logo to the burst logo.

But the burst logo is soooo bad. I'd prefer a new "R" logo for the cap.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

33 minutes ago, bowld said:

Just move them to Seattle, Portland, Nashville, Charlotte or Montreal and call it a day

Seattle? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Tampa Bay Rays Exploring Partial Relocation to Montreal

June 20, 2019 - 19:33 PM

The Tampa Bay Rays are seriously exploring the possibility of moving up to Montreal… but just for three months out of the year. According to a report this afternoon from ESPN’s Jeff Passan, the Rays have received permission from Major […]

Read More...

what would their abbreviation be? Phillies are PHI, yankees are NYY, giants are SF, you get the point... what would it be if they played in both cities? I assume 3 letter max, 4 if were getting bold?

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

5 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

what would their abbreviation be? Phillies are PHI, yankees are NYY, giants are SF, you get the point... what would it be if they played in both cities? I assume 3 letter max, 4 if were getting bold?

If it's a split branding situation (as in they're the Rays in TB and the Expos in Montreal), we'll probably see TB in Tampa and MTL in Montreal. If they combine the names, like Tampa Bay-Montreal, it could be TBM, or MTB if they do the reverse.

I'm personally for a split branding, but if they don't, then combining the Rays' logos with the Expos, as seen above, is the best option, with the team being the Tampa Bay-Montreal Rays, I guess.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Just now, QueenCitySwarm said:

If it's a split branding situation (as in they're the Rays in TB and the Expos in Montreal), we'll probably see TB in Tampa and MTL in Montreal. If they combine the names, like Tampa Bay-Montreal, it could be TBM, or MTB if they do the reverse.

I'm personally for a split branding, but if they don't, then combining the Rays' logos with the Expos, as seen above, is the best option, with the team being the Tampa Bay-Montreal Rays, I guess.

Im thinking it will be crazy confusing when you look at the standings, and look at standings over time. im iffy on the split branding, but TBM seems to be the best option id guess

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Yeah this ain’t happening and if it somehow does they’re not changing the team name. Though living in the region I wish this team would just gtfoh.

What's crazy is, what if the team is winning and doing very very well. And then they just move for the next three months to another city? That does not bode well for the fans and having them gain any sense of security or fandom. 

How did it work for any of the other split organizations in the past? You almost have to go two weeks on/two weeks off. 

6 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

I'm imagining a really lazy execution until they inevitably move to Montreal full time. Like, they'll remain the Rays, but just change their away jerseys to say Montreal when they're up there, similar to the OKC Hornets

The Hornets didn't even do that...they just slapped an OKC patch on their jerseys and changed their whites to read Hornets.  The Oklahoma City jerseys were a twice only affair, only worn for their home finale in both OKC seasons (unless you count those Valentine's Day reds)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

4 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Going by precedent in the two NBA cases, the Kings used KCO, while the Hornets were indicated by NOK.

And while all abbreviations are unofficial, a three-letter is preferable, because many out-of-town scoreboards in ballparks can accommodate only three letters. That's why you see the Nationals listed as WSH

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived