2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Lol, fire everyone. Garrett should be fired before the players hit the showers. 

It'd be great if they did that, and then the Eagles blow it against the Giants and the new coach gets Dallas into the playoffs and goes on a run.

It'd be even better if they don't fire him, then the Eagles blow it against the Giants, and then he manages to blow it against Washington, putting the Eagles in the playoffs as an 8-8 division winner.

It'd be really better if that 8-8 division winner signed some more construction workers and went on an improbable championship run, beating that waste of skin and air Andy Reid in the SB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It'd be great if they did that, and then the Eagles blow it against the Giants and the new coach gets Dallas into the playoffs and goes on a run.

It'd be even better if they don't fire him, then the Eagles blow it against the Giants, and then he manages to blow it against Washington, putting the Eagles in the playoffs as an 8-8 division winner.

It'd be really better if that 8-8 division winner signed some more construction workers and went on an improbable championship run, beating that waste of skin and air Andy Reid in the SB.

I had a discussion with my Dad about this, if it would happen and I told him I'd quite frankly be po'ed that Dallas played like [censored] during the regular season, only to actually show up and play and win their way to the Super Bowl at 8-8.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

No you wouldn't.  You'd be happy about the Super Bowl, and would be gloating in this very thread... just like I would be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No you wouldn't.  You'd be happy about the Super Bowl, and would be gloating in this very thread... just like I would be.

Well yeah, but I'd still feel some anger. Like, I know a team can get hot at the right time. But, all I want is consistency.

Is that too much to ask?

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

It really doesn't matter.  I'm in it for the fun, and winning the division on the last week is fun, having a home playoff game is fun (winning it is even more fun), winning a divisional round game on the road is fun, winning an NFC Championship game is fun, winning a Super Bowl is fun, and having a parade through the middle of the city is really fun.

I wouldn't care if they somehow made it in at 6-10 if they were able to win playoff games.  Once you're in the playoffs, the regular season means less-than nothing.  Forget it even happened.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It really doesn't matter.  I'm in it for the fun, and winning the division on the last week is fun, having a home playoff game is fun (winning it is even more fun), winning a divisional round game on the road is fun, winning an NFC Championship game is fun, winning a Super Bowl is fun, and having a parade through the middle of the city is really fun.

I wouldn't care if they somehow made it in at 6-10 if they were able to win playoff games.  Once you're in the playoffs, the regular season means less-than nothing.  Forget it even happened.

I totally get where you're coming from. This was a discussion I had with my Dad after the stinker on Thanksgiving, so I guess I was still sour on the recent defeat and was thinking and speaking in the heat of the moment.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Everyone needs to go. 

I still want want to see a Kellen Moore offense without Garrett’s influence, and Colombo can stay, but everyone else needs to be fired. 

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I think Moore does deserve one chance to really be able to fully run the offense; something I don't think he was completely able to do this season. A lot of these people are good guys (like Marinelli), and that's nice and all; but being a nice guy isn't going to help win you football games.

I don't.  They have $40+M invested in a RB over the next three seasons and Moore only gives him 13 carries and on the most important play of the game he was off the field. 

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

I don't.  They have $40+M invested in a RB over the next three seasons and Moore only gives him 13 carries and on the most important play of the game he was off the field. 

C’mon man. The score dictated the carries Zeke had. Once Zeke got going (after starting going 9 carries for 10 yards), the Cowboys were down 17-6 in the 4th and pretty much had to throw. 

And Zeke took himself off, not the coaches. 

Kellen will probably be fired too. It’s pretty common when a new HC takes over to bring on his own guys. And all seriousness, the Cowboys need to keep Jon Kitna, Marc Colombo and Gary Brown. The position coaches for Dak, O-Line and RB’s. 

Kitna especially. He’s done wonders for Dak this season. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The score is 7-6 Ravens. Lamar Jackson just made two ridiculous throws in a row to get the Ravens their first TD of the day after the Browns defense has kept them in check all day.  The Ravens will receive the ball to start the second half. There is 1:18 left in the half. The Ravens have zero timeouts. 

Freddie Kitchens threw the ball three times. All three were tipped and incomplete. 

The Ravens got the ball back, Lamar makes more magic happen with a sneaky contender for one of his best TD throws of the season, 14-6 at half in a game where the Ravens really didn’t show up until 28 minutes in. Ravens get a TD on the drive after the half and that was that. 

Hiring Freddie Kitchens is one of the dumbest things the Browns have done in recent memory, which is saying something. Had they kept Gregg Williams that team may have actually had some swagger (the good kind) and discipline. 

Death, taxes, and Browns gonna Brown. 

spacer.png

Are you talking about a different Gregg Williams than the one who was best buds with Jeff Fisher?  Because if not, SON.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

19 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

So are Cowboy fans cheering for a Win to add to Garrett's illustrious record of 1st round playoff exits? Or a loss in the vain hope the Jerruh Jones FINALLY  fires his favorite clapper? 

I think the players have at least picked Door #2 based on today's performance. 

13 hours ago, Buc said:

Neither will mean a thing if they don't build a O-line in front of [insert QB here] to keep whichever they draft upright (and doubly so if they go with Tua, what with the whole hip thing and all). And I also continue to be dumbfounded at how SOOOOO many personnel execs--you know, the people who are supposed to kinda be good at this stuff--keep thinking that drafting the latest hot college QB is gonna solve all their problems and turn around their fortunes all in one shot. News flash, personnel exec people: no QB in the world, I don't care how physically gifted, will survive long-term without a DECENT O-LINE TO PROTECT HIM! When will teams figure this out?

Okay, they want a case study? Take a good look at the Tennessee NFL franchise. For years they trotted Marcus Mariota out there behind subpar O-lines (two seasons ago was pretty much an aberration for the better, but still), and look what it's done to him. Yes some of that is Marcus' own doing, but still...can't well protect your 295-quazillion-dollar investment when you got swiss cheese and turnstiles "protecting" him.

Want a case study part two? Look how the Jacksonville Jaguars built their team from scratch (I'm talking back in 1995). Someone was smart...they built both O-line and D-line FIRST, then stuck role players in behind them. (Remember, Tony Boselli was that franchise's first ever draft pick out of college.) Many remember Mark Brunell having all kinds of success behind that line, especially with the aforementioned Boselli protecting his front side*, but remember Steve Beuerlein started out that gate as their #1 QB that first season before Brunell took over.

But then, who am I? Just some schmuck writing from a truck in the cornplains of BFE northwest Ohio, so whatevs... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

/rant

*Funny how things turn out...the Jaguars drafted Boselli to protect their QB's blind side, not realizing it'd end up being a lefty who would lead them for so many years.

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Bengals almost blew it by going to overtime but officially clinched the number one draft pick falling to the Dolphins in OT. Knowing how incompetent Mike Brown is instead of picking Joe Burrow he will likely do something stupid like trade the number one pick for Mr Irrelevant. Either way Merry Clinchmas everyone!

I think they really are going to take Joe Burrow because he actually fits the Bengals preferred draft criteria - The Bengals love SEC and OSU players. Joe Burrow is both. The Bengals love players with stories. Joe Burrow definitely has one. The Bengals need their next QB. Joe Burrow plays QB. The Bengals basically don't have a scouting department so they make their coaches do the scouting and they essentially crowdsource their scouting - the new head coach is a QB guy. Joe Burrow plays QB. The last one year wonder Heisman winner they drafted worked out pretty well. The most Bengalsy thing that could happen now is Joe Burrow gets seriously injured in one of LSU's playoff games. 

As for the O-line, yes it's in need of work, but they drafted the highest ranked left tackle in the draft last year (Joe Burrow is right-handed), and the rest of the O-line (save the Bust Billy Price) has gotten better PFF grades in the second half of the season. If Jonah Williams is as good as Nick Saban thinks then there's your Tony Boselli, Buc. If he's half as good as Andrew Whitworth then I think the Bengals line is on the way to being fine. The offense is closer to being good than the defense so I say finish that and then work on the defense. 

That game yesterday WHY AND WHAT WAS THAT? The Tank Bowl did not disappoint. The Bengals were down 23 in the fourth quarter with 11 minutes left. The Bengals were down 16 with like a minute left, and I was chilling on my couch thinking the Miami Dolphins actually did something for me and then I watched in horror as the Bengals proceeded to score 16 points in the final 29 seconds on the following plays: TD pass on 4th and goal, converted the 2 point conversion to Tyler Eifert, recovered an onside kick, which is basically impossible in the NFL now, two more darts from Dalton and a touchdown with no time on the clock, Andy Dalton booted right and ran in the 2 point conversion to tie. I was losing my GD mind. OF COURSE OF COURSE OF COURSE. Best comeback in team history and I hated every single second of it. When the Dolphins lined up for the game winning field goal with 3 seconds left my wife said "either they make it or if they miss then they'll tie and we still get the pick." and at that moment I was certain the Bengals were going to block the kick and return it for a TD. That this didn't happen is the most shocking of all those crazy improbable events. In a way it's good because the team got a shot of confidence while also taking the L. I feel like they're going to beat Cleveland next week and it'll be nice to root for them again. 

EDIT: 

Here's some stats about this comeback pulled from this article: https://theathletic.com/1482482/2019/12/23/anatomy-of-the-biggest-comeback-in-bengals-history/

A Bengals offense that hadn’t scored more than two touchdowns in a game all year scored three in the final 6:11.

They hadn’t scored a second-half touchdown on 42 consecutive drives and then strung together three in a row.

They successfully executed an onside kick for the first time since 2010, and just the 12th leaguewide on 112 attempts since the kickoff rules changed prior to the start of the 2018 season.

They were 3 for 3 on fourth down.

They had no timeouts to use during the final 3:59.

Quarterback Andy Dalton was 15 of 25 for 184 yards and three touchdowns in the fourth quarter alone.

They scored 16 points in the final 29 seconds.

The final eight points came with no time on the clock when Dalton threw a truncated, 25-yard Hail Mary to tight end Tyler Eifert, who was surrounded by four defenders, on the final snap of regulation. Dalton then scrambled for the two-point conversion when all of his passing targets were blanketed.

They had one successful two-point conversion in their last 74 games before converting two in the final 29 seconds.

RIDICULOUS!

PvO6ZWJ.png

55 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I think they really are going to take Joe Burrow because he actually fits the Bengals preferred draft criteria - The Bengals love SEC and OSU players. Joe Burrow is both. The Bengals love players with stories. Joe Burrow definitely has one. The Bengals need their next QB. Joe Burrow plays QB. The Bengals basically don't have a scouting department so they make their coaches do the scouting and they essentially crowdsource their scouting - the new head coach is a QB guy. Joe Burrow plays QB. The last one year wonder Heisman winner they drafted worked out pretty well. The most Bengalsy thing that could happen now is Joe Burrow gets seriously injured in one of LSU's playoff games. 

As for the O-line, yes it's in need of work, but they drafted the highest ranked left tackle in the draft last year (Joe Burrow is right-handed), and the rest of the O-line (save the Bust Billy Price) has gotten better PFF grades in the second half of the season. If Jonah Williams is as good as Nick Saban thinks then there's your Tony Boselli, Buc. If he's half as good as Andrew Whitworth then I think the Bengals line is on the way to being fine. The offense is closer to being good than the defense so I say finish that and then work on the defense. 

That game yesterday WHY AND WHAT WAS THAT? The Tank Bowl did not disappoint. The Bengals were down 23 in the fourth quarter with 11 minutes left. The Bengals were down 16 with like a minute left, and I was chilling on my couch thinking the Miami Dolphins actually did something for me and then I watched in horror as the Bengals proceeded to score 16 points in the final 29 seconds on the following plays: TD pass on 4th and goal, converted the 2 point conversion to Tyler Eifert, recovered an onside kick, which is basically impossible in the NFL now, two more darts from Dalton and a touchdown with no time on the clock, Andy Dalton booted right and ran in the 2 point conversion to tie. I was losing my GD mind. OF COURSE OF COURSE OF COURSE. Best comeback in team history and I hated every single second of it. When the Dolphins lined up for the game winning field goal with 3 seconds left my wife said "either they make it or if they miss then they'll tie and we still get the pick." and at that moment I was certain the Bengals were going to block the kick and return it for a TD. That this didn't happen is the most shocking of all those crazy improbable events. In a way it's good because the team got a shot of confidence while also taking the L. I feel like they're going to beat Cleveland next week and it'll be nice to root for them again. 

EDIT: 

Here's some stats about this comeback pulled from this article: https://theathletic.com/1482482/2019/12/23/anatomy-of-the-biggest-comeback-in-bengals-history/

A Bengals offense that hadn’t scored more than two touchdowns in a game all year scored three in the final 6:11.

They hadn’t scored a second-half touchdown on 42 consecutive drives and then strung together three in a row.

They successfully executed an onside kick for the first time since 2010, and just the 12th leaguewide on 112 attempts since the kickoff rules changed prior to the start of the 2018 season.

They were 3 for 3 on fourth down.

They had no timeouts to use during the final 3:59.

Quarterback Andy Dalton was 15 of 25 for 184 yards and three touchdowns in the fourth quarter alone.

They scored 16 points in the final 29 seconds.

The final eight points came with no time on the clock when Dalton threw a truncated, 25-yard Hail Mary to tight end Tyler Eifert, who was surrounded by four defenders, on the final snap of regulation. Dalton then scrambled for the two-point conversion when all of his passing targets were blanketed.

They had one successful two-point conversion in their last 74 games before converting two in the final 29 seconds.

RIDICULOUS!

That's a pretty in-depth analysis from someone who's professed to quit paying attention to his team! Lol (just playin', man...I know how that goes. And btw, my rant wasn't directed toward the Bengals in particular, but the league as a whole.)

That's interesting that the Bengals tend to favor SEC and tOSU guys...at least on one level it's pretty smart from a marketing standpoint. (Tony Dungy had a penchant for this in Tampa Bay as well; he stayed picking both UF and FSU guys for a lot of his time down there.) Now am I to assume the reason the Bengals don't have a scouting department is because the owner's too frugal to pay for one, or is there something else to that?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived