2019 NFL Season: Super Bowl LIV

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

With a marijuana test, can you tell how long it was since it was used?

Yeah, you play a Joe Rogan podcast, see how long they can sit through it, and calculate from there

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

When there was talk of the NFL returning to LA, people said that Angelinos might have some reverence for the Rams but by and large wouldn't be bothered to waste an entire Sunday driving to the Coliseum because there are way better things to do.

Maybe the new stadium solves some of those problems. But, fundamentally, the issue is the market has more entertainment options than any other market in the US, even New York. If you like sports, there are two basketball teams, two baseball teams, two hockey teams, two soccer teams, major college football and basketball, and more that I'm forgetting. Plus the beach. And cocaine. And movies and theater. And Disneyland and Universal.

If you're in a smaller market like Seattle, there's stuff to do on a Sunday, but NFL football is an obvious regional draw not in competition with anything else. In LA, it's a different story. And something talked to death before the Rams and Chargers moved "home."

At the same time, it's cathartic to watch billionaires and millionaires lose their money. So eff 'em.

Yeah, I have a friend who's a big Green Bay bandwago... oops, I mean fan, and whenever he brags about how long the wait list is for Packer tickets, this is what I tell him. These people live in Green Bay. It's either go to the Packer game, or watch cows chew. Anybody from LA who dresses up in blue and yellow, and paints their face?  In LA?  That's a friggin' fan.

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I think there's no such thing as a true home game these days. Heinz Field had whole lot of Buffalo fans in the seats last night. When the Bills got those two late interceptions, the crowd sounded like the game was being played in Buffalo. Obviously, it's worse at some stadiums than others (See Chargers, LA) but most games seem to have at least a 70-30 mix of home and road fans. I can't remember who they were playing earlier this season, but there was a Cowboys home game in which the vast majority of the crowd were fans of the opposing team. If it's happening in the frontrunner capitols of Dallas and Pittsburgh, it's probably happening everywhere. There's lots of money to be made in selling tickets to out of market fans. (except for hockey in Nashville, apparently) I've heard that a lot of season ticket holders cover the cost of their tickets by selling half their games to opposing fans. It's the world we live in. 

I think that was the Packers, but I'm not sure.

I generally agree with you on this.  There have always been cities where this was an issue, but it has become more pronounced across the board.  It doesn't help when you are struggling on the field and have alienated your fans (See Redskins, Washington).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Opiates are a real problem here in Ohio. We have 16 year old kids that are hooked on Fentanyl. Fentanyl is a pain drug for terminal cancer patients. I guess it's a patch and people have taken to putting the patch in their mouths and chewing it to get the drugs faster which has led to a lot of overdoses and deaths. Smoke weed, it's harmless and you won't be knocking off gas stations to buy your next bag. 

Yea fentanyl is super bad stuff, in Florida they’ve been lacing heroin and even marijuana with the stuff and have had so many overdoses.  That stuff can kill you with the smallest of doses and the chemical is so small that it can penetrate your skin just from touching it and kill you. That’s part of the reason why all cops here wear gloves now.

9 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Regardless of whatever ethical concerns are there, let's be honest: Josh Gordon is pretty flipping stupid to not put down the bong during football season. Yes, he's an addict (even though weed is apparently not addictive?) but he actually needs to follow through on getting himself help. Otherwise, I find any sympathy towards him thoroughly wasted.

He's also had a history of abusing more than just marijuana. This is like chance number 8 or 9 and he hasn't been able to find a way to avoid multiple types of drugs, not just weed. I hope he can stay clean but if it's pain that's causing him to turn to marijuana time and again, he amy need to just stop playing football and take care of himself away from the field. 

9 hours ago, alxy8s said:

I don’t know what the CBA allows for, but the only way the time frame can be narrowed that specifically would require the player showing up high to/during a game and being subjected to a breath test on the spot. 

I’m assuming that the random tests they do are urinalyses, which wouldn’t be nearly that accurate. 

9 hours ago, Buc said:

There are ways to test for it, yes--but its actually one particular substance in general that the tests look for, and it can stay in one's system for up to seven days. (This is kind of a lightning rod issue in the trucking biz these days.)

Now, not that any of this is likely to make a dent, but let me help clear something up about that seven-leafed controversial plant--which may actually help make @infrared41's point above depending on what viewpoint he takes on that.

Naturally-occurring, organically-grown marijuana is perfectly fine. It has trace amounts of THC in it--the main substance they look for--but nowhere near enough to cause an addiction.  Weed on the other hand--or kush, ganja, wood, dank, hydro, Mary Jane, Pittsburgh Courier or whatever else you wanna call it--is the lab- or street-engineered stuff that's laced with THC (along with some other stuff, depending on who's selling it) and so often crossbred with a bunch of other stuff. That's what'll end up getting ya.

Not that I'm a cannabis expert or anything like that, just throwing that out there for what it's worth.

Weed can be found in the body up to two weeks after use. Other drugs can last in the system over a month. The Army tests for this and other recreational drugs so they make a point of hammering these into our domes when I was in. 

11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Opiods are a problem everywhere. It's like the worst representations of the 80s crack epidemic, but not focused on urban cities but instead on everyone with limited economic opportunity throughout the United States. Or professional athletes restricted from more responsible pain management options.

It's terrifying. It's a pretty straight line from opiod abuse to homelessness and worse.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee seem to be the epicenter of the epidemic. Four states make a pretty big epicenter. But it's everywhere to some extent and it all started with legal prescription drugs.

I've resolved not to take anything stronger than ibuprofen. I don't even trust myself to drink, I can't get hooked on pills. Point is, let football players use cannabis, omg who cares.

It's also been allowed to expand as a result of drug cartels trafficking in those areas as well. They saw an opportunity and moved right on in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, alxy8s said:

I swear every time Drew Brees is up to break a record, it’s a prime time game against a defense that’s somehow more desperate to see it happen than the announcing crew. 

Anyhow, congrats to him. Don’t quite understand how the Saints are locked into the 3 seed, but hoping it sorts out. 

It was also his third career "Dawson"

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

He's also had a history of abusing more than just marijuana. This is like chance number 8 or 9 and he hasn't been able to find a way to avoid multiple types of drugs, not just weed. I hope he can stay clean but if it's pain that's causing him to turn to marijuana time and again, he amy need to just stop playing football and take care of himself away from the field. 

Weed can be found in the body up to two weeks after use. Other drugs can last in the system over a month. The Army tests for this and other recreational drugs so they make a point of hammering these into our domes when I was in. 

It's also been allowed to expand as a result of drug cartels trafficking in those areas as well. They saw an opportunity and moved right on in. 

30 days if you use regularly. But still if you are in season it’s just best to not use it at all.

21 hours ago, Buc said:

There are ways to test for it, yes--but its actually one particular substance in general that the tests look for, and it can stay in one's system for up to seven days. (This is kind of a lightning rod issue in the trucking biz these days.)

Now, not that any of this is likely to make a dent, but let me help clear something up about that seven-leafed controversial plant--which may actually help make @infrared41's point above depending on what viewpoint he takes on that.

Naturally-occurring, organically-grown marijuana is perfectly fine. It has trace amounts of THC in it--the main substance they look for--but nowhere near enough to cause an addiction.  Weed on the other hand--or kush, ganja, wood, dank, hydro, Mary Jane, Pittsburgh Courier or whatever else you wanna call it--is the lab- or street-engineered stuff that's laced with THC (along with some other stuff, depending on who's selling it) and so often crossbred with a bunch of other stuff. That's what'll end up getting ya.

Not that I'm a cannabis expert or anything like that, just throwing that out there for what it's worth.

This is like saying Bud Light isn't alcohol but hard liquor is. Yeah, the stuff people would typically smoke in the 60s and 70s (disregarding strains like Acapulco Gold that were around back then) did have a lower THC amount but it wasn't trace. It was more like 5-8% compared to the average strain I've come across having 15-20% THC. This is pretty much due to relaxed legal and social standards towards marijuana that have led to an arms race with THC content. Society has just yet to catch up to this but the old stuff would've still caused Hash Gordon to piss dirty.

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Tom Brady has not been selected for the Pro Bowl.

Declining performance. Is the end of his football career approaching?

People still care about Pro Bowl selections? 

Also? People were saying Tom Brady and the Pats were cooked this time last year and look at what happened. 

I'll believe they're dead when I see it for myself. 

my original point was that it would be unsafe for a player to take the field if high, and there’s no way to detect for that. Then I realized that there’s currently no way to tell if a guy did 6 shots of cheap whiskey to calm his nerves before the game, or popped some Xanax, or anything else. Maybe they should just stop testing for legal things that aren’t legit enhancers, and do cognitive tests before each game to Try to ensure the players aren’t impaired in any way. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

my original point was that it would be unsafe for a player to take the field if high, and there’s no way to detect for that. Then I realized that there’s currently no way to tell if a guy did 6 shots of cheap whiskey to calm his nerves before the game, or popped some Xanax, or anything else. Maybe they should just stop testing for legal things that aren’t legit enhancers, and do cognitive tests before each game to Try to ensure the players aren’t impaired in any way. 

What legal things are you talking about? Also with all that teams got to do on game day it would be impossible to also do a “cognitive test” on 120 individuals before every game. And they can most certainly tell if someone drank before a game that would just take a breathalyzer which can be done much quicker. 

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

People still care about Pro Bowl selections? 

Also? People were saying Tom Brady and the Pats were cooked this time last year and look at what happened. 

I'll believe they're dead when I see it for myself. 

The Patriots have been doomed so many times before that Brady could retire and I'd just assume it's some plot for him to somehow comeback and win another Lombardi.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

What legal things are you talking about? Also with all that teams got to do on game day it would be impossible to also do a “cognitive test” on 120 individuals before every game. And they can most certainly tell if someone drank before a game that would just take a breathalyzer which can be done much quicker. 

While preparing an answer, I decided I'd search to see what they currently do test for.  Might need a while to digest this:

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

One thing I noticed - there's apparently some treatments for male-pattern baldness that would get you suspended, so you need to let them know of your condition.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wellp...look for another rebrand in about five years (!).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Wellp...look for another rebrand in about five years (!).

It’s like Goldilocks. 2013-17 was “too hot” and 2018-present is “too cold.” Will the next one be “just right?”

This is why I’m glad that the Eagles didn’t “go Oregon” for Chip Kelly.

Archived