MLB 2019 Changes

12 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I really miss the show that MLBN had called Prime 9. Great countdown show that helped me learn a lot about the history of the game. Baseball Seasons was also another good one. 

Do those shows not air anymore? I could swear I remember watching Prime 9 highlights from 2017 last offseason.

ClAFLDa.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, msu said:

By this logic, MLB should make bats aluminum so we have more awesome hits or the NBA should lower the hoop to 9 feet so we can get more awesome dunks. If more entertaining is better then let's go for it!

But seriously, I'm just not that impressed that players are using these advanced gloves to make one-handed catches that probably wouldn't even be possible without the modern materials on gloves. The gloves have altered the game too much in my opinion. Stickum was giving an advantage and was banned, so i don't see why these modern gloves are allowed either.

Or the NHL should have unlimited stick technology to make shots quicker and more accurate while reducing goalie pads to the size of a thimble that can break a clavicle.....

Oh wait.

F*&#&#&!

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019

January 3, 2019 - 16:53 PM

According to a Tweet by New Era, the Philadelphia Phillies will be wearing an alternate throwback cap on the field in 2019. The Tweet, posted this morning, shows the retro burgundy Phillies lid featuring the white “P” with a baseball […]

Read More...

Not sure that this is news, unless the news is just that they’re wearing that uniform as a regular alt again in 2019. 

I think it’s just their Thursday home day game uni. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 2019 hat has a maroon/light blue batterman on the back, whereas the last two years the hat was more of a true throwback with no batterman.

?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MjQ2NTczfGltYWd

https://www.neweracap.com/SPORTS/MLB/TEAMS/Philadelphia-Phillies/PHILADELPHIA-PHILLIES-AUTHENTIC-COLLECTION-LOW-PROFILE-ALT2-59FIFTY-FITTED/p/70490541

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For a long time, people used to call the football Giants' classic "ny" logo the best mark that is not currently in use.  Nowadays, this Phillies logo holds that title.

Eh. It's a good logo, but I'm more about the maroon. And the light blue roads, even though a lot of people on here (you included IIRC) hate all light blue roads. The Phils could totally be maroon and light blue (with the latter as an accent color and maybe alternate road) and have their own unique look, much like the Padres with brown.

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:
4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For a long time, people used to call the football Giants' classic "ny" logo the best mark that is not currently in use.  Nowadays, this Phillies logo holds that title.

Eh. It's a good logo, but I'm more about the maroon. And the light blue roads, even though a lot of people on here (you included IIRC) hate all light blue roads. The Phils could totally be maroon and light blue (with the latter as an accent color and maybe alternate road) and have their own unique look, much like the Padres with brown.

The comparison to the Padres does not work because powder blue was never a Phillies team colour; neither was it a team colour of the Cardinals or the Texas Rangers or the Twins or any other team that used it.  Powder blue was just one of the standard road uni colours, alongside grey, of the period.  (Powder blue happened to dovetail with the name and the overall look of the Royals, which is why they were the only team to wear it well.)

You can have the classic P in maroon without the powder blue.

Image result for phillies 1989   thon.jpg

This is how the Phillies should look on the road.  The maroon looks gorgeous next to the grey. And the maroon alone would be enough to give the Phils something unique.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Wait - they did not have a batterman last year?  Considering it was a full-fledged alt that was in the regular rotation and not a one-off, that would really surprise me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wait - they did not have a batterman last year?  Considering it was a full-fledged alt that was in the regular rotation and not a one-off, that would really surprise me.

I suppose it's possible that the angle of Kingery's head could be obscuring the batterman, but this photo seems to verify the lack of batterman.

phils.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The comparison to the Padres does not work because powder blue was never a Phillies team colour; neither was it a team colour of the Cardinals or the Texas Rangers or the Twins or any other team that used it.  Powder blue was just one of the standard road uni colours, alongside grey, of the period.  (Powder blue happened to dovetail with the name and the overall look of the Royals, which is why they were the only team to wear it well.)

You can have the classic P in maroon without the powder blue.

Image result for phillies 1989   thon.jpg

This is how the Phillies should look on the road.  The maroon looks gorgeous next to the grey. And the maroon alone would be enough to give the Phils something unique.

I know it wasn't an official team color. But one could certainly argue, by virtue of Schmidt and the 1980 World Series winners, and Steve Carlton, and Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, etc., that the Phillies' powder blues are among the best-known of their period. I'd have the Royals, Cardinals, and Phillies as the only really iconic powder blue looks, myself. That's why I think it would be cool if they MADE it a secondary color, if they were to switch back to maroon as their primary. They go together well, and Philadelphia's powder blues always looked livelier to me than the grey roads that followed them (and which you posted).

Hey Phillies, take a look at Washington State sports. 

Scarlet/Maroon and Gray can be stunning. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

28 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I know it wasn't an official team color. But one could certainly argue, by virtue of Schmidt and the 1980 World Series winners, and Steve Carlton, and Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, etc., that the Phillies' powder blues are among the best-known of their period. I'd have the Royals, Cardinals, and Phillies as the only really iconic powder blue looks, myself. 

Ahem...

rollie-fingers.jpg

On TV (especially the TVs of the 80s) the Phillies powder blue definitely worked better than gray.  After growing up with the blue, the switch to gray just made them look boring to me.

HOWEVER, in person, the gray is far superior.  Those colors - gray and maroon - were made for each other.  I think in HD they'd look fantastic.  It irks me that they've never worn them in any throwback game.  Certainly some team they're visiting has a reason to throw back to one of the seasons between 89 and 91.

Archived