2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Icethetics has posted some great predictions based on the previews we've seen so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I feel like the Flames & Rangers should be doing more than just a straight throwback. Maybe more white & less red in the striping for both of them. I also wouldn't mind the sharks putting the old fin logo on the front.

I think the Flames will make some changes.  The C was red on the original, but white here, so either the yellow and red will be flipped around or there's going to be a whole lot of white.

9 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

This recent trend of the Pens dropping the triangle from the logo stinks. Put the proper mark on that jersey and it’s a 10/10. 

Honestly, I think I might have preferred the triangle alone. Keeps the spirit of the original, but without using the robopen at all(Which, for what they're doing, they should use but different story)

EDIT: If they do another one of these, I wouldnt mind seeing a double blue version of their current homes.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, _J_ said:

Honestly, I think I might have preferred the triangle alone. Keeps the spirit of the original, but without using the robopen at all(Which, for what they're doing, they should use but different story)

EDIT: If they do another one of these, I wouldnt mind seeing a double blue version of their current homes.

The triangle is a bit esoteric to work on it's own I think. I can get behind the double blue though.

I've never really thought much of it before, but is it kind of weird that there are two NHL logos with animals doing something with a hockey stick in a triangle in Pittsburgh and San Jose and there was a time when there were three with Anaheim?

Though I vaguely remember something about the Sharks logo supposedly being in the process of eating the Penguins logo, but that's probably just one of those urban legend things.

IbjBaeE.png

As expected, the Preds are rolling with a yellow version of the original uniforms, likely with updated logos.

Personally, I've always thought that it would be good to see silver brought back into the scheme, but I don't know about this color balance. This is also a case where the dazzle fabric made the silver look much better than this modern matte does. 

spacer.png

Interesting that the Avalanche don't have a picture of the shoulder patch like everyone else does. Pretty sure that confirms it's the Nordiques, if there was still any doubt. They don't want to ruin the surprise by showing a fleur-de-lis in the preview.

ExJworW.png

9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Interesting that the Avalanche don't have a picture of the shoulder patch like everyone else does. Pretty sure that confirms it's the Nordiques, if there was still any doubt. They don't want to ruin the surprise by showing a fleur-de-lis in the preview.

At the same time, they deliberately picked 1979 for a reason. That was one of the years the Rockies coincided with the Nordiques, so it could be either one and they omitted the patch for that reason; to drive up more speculation prior to their reveal.

Which makes more sense from a selling perspective; using the Nordiques for the Reverse Retro or using the Rockies for the Reverse Retro and having a proper Nordiques throwback jersey?

3 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Some teams have their shoulder patches previewed, while some have gone with showing the sleeve stripe/number shown instead which seems to indicate they have nothing on the shoulder. The only ones that seem to be hiding shoulder patches are Columbus (potentially Stinger), and Colorado (a fleur-de-lis maybe, or possibly a foot).

I guess the sleeve numbers on Chicago mean they won't be going with the football-style front numbers. It's a bit disappointing considering the amount of throwback/fauxback looks we've gotten from them over the years. It was a chance to do something different. The tomahawk C on the chest would be a nice change of pace.

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

At the same time, they deliberately picked 1979 for a reason. That was one of the years the Rockies coincided with the Nordiques, so it could be either one and they omitted the patch for that reason; to drive up more speculation prior to their reveal.

Which makes more sense from a selling perspective; using the Nordiques for the Reverse Retro or using the Rockies for the Reverse Retro and having a proper Nordiques throwback jersey?

The Nordiques first year in the NHL was 1979. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Interesting that the Stars collar is all white. Maybe we're looking at a minimalised version of that uniform?

Yea...idk I think something is weird about it. I feel like they might just go with the outline of the star and it will be a mostly white jersey (someone did a mockup earlier in this thread)

Archived