2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'd rather they not get so bright as to become garish, thanks. 

I don't think if they went to 287 C, it would be garish. That's all I'm saying. I just feel when the Leafs are in white, it's a very bland (but fine, I suppose) look. 

Maybe if they had chosen to do a shoulder yoke, it would have given the jersey some oomph, but with the striping pattern they chose and how the blue "plays," you get a pretty dull look for half their games.

Their homes do look good, in my opinion. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NYRFan said:

I don't think if they went to 287 C, it would be garish. That's all I'm saying. I just feel when the Leafs are in white, it's a very bland (but fine, I suppose) look. 

Maybe if they had chosen to do a shoulder yoke, it would have given the jersey some oomph, but with the striping pattern they chose and how the blue "plays," you get a pretty dull look for half their games.

I do think lighting and context make a big difference. I was in a sports merch shop the other day and I thought the 281c on away jerseys "popped" just fine.

The other thing to keep in mind is that with a team like the Leafs the only colours they're wearing are Blue and White, so on the aways I think the white should really be taking focus and the blue simply acting as ballast. Its the other half of their scheme afterall, its not quite a supporting colour like it is for many other teams. The Lightning have black and silver to add weight so a lighter electric blue makes sense. The Canucks have a fairly vibrant green so the medium blue contrasts well with it. With the leafs white is as important as blue.

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

What do you mean? It’s literally the road jersey with the gold and white flipped. It couldn’t be any more formulaic.

It might be formulaic with the other jerseys in the set, but that red arm stripe make absolutely no sense on that gold sweater:

Men's Vegas Golden Knights Marc-Andre Fleury Fanatics Branded Gold 2020/21 Alternate Premier Breakaway Player Jersey

I'll go a step further and say that i think the color red doesn't need to be on any of their sweaters. No need

On 2/14/2021 at 5:40 PM, njdevs7 said:

The Panthers jersey is beautiful but there is something about large white striping that bothers me. I still prefer the original striping 

spacer.png

The original navy Panthers look was incredibly lazy. They just took their white jersey and used the fill tool on the torso & arms. Didn't even bother getting rid of the thin white stripe on the hem & sleeves.

spacer.png

Florida should always be a red-first team, so I wouldn't want to see the reverse retro promoted to home status, but it looks so much better now that the shade of gold actually matches the logo.

43 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

It might be formulaic with the other jerseys in the set, but that red arm stripe make absolutely no sense on that gold sweater:

Men's Vegas Golden Knights Marc-Andre Fleury Fanatics Branded Gold 2020/21 Alternate Premier Breakaway Player Jersey

I'll go a step further and say that i think the color red doesn't need to be on any of their sweaters. No need

Oohh..I see where you're coming from, but without any red the Vegas brand would veer pretty close to drab territory. They need a strong accent colour to make something pop. Especially if their gold is basically mustard (excluding the helmets that we've seen lately of course. If that was their gold for everything, then yeah absolutely no need for red lol). I mean I do think Vegas without red could look good, I just don't think it's Vegas enough without the extra splash of colour.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

5 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Red is absolutely needed or they would be the most drab and lifeless looking team in the league by far without that little splash of color

11 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Not a big hockey watcher, but came across some highlights from the Canucks vs Flames game tonight online and can I just say how gorgeous the Flames new uniforms are? Perfect matchup against Vancouver too.

8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Yeah it really feels like the perfect matchup of opposites, the hot coloured team vs the cool coloured one.

medium_Yellow-canucks_yellowjersey.jpg_cf.jpg.c3ff34d456dc6d9c0244dda2c752c9e8.jpg

543540d4f13feead94476a433aed29d1.jpg_cf.jpg.fdffc81bce79fadbe3e8a79d89416bb2.jpg6000834_zps3vj7h76m.jpg_cf.jpg.d5255fa4236f5a222b2fc54bf91b2c56.jpg

With the exception of the Canucks' logo and their bland Agency font, the uniform matchup between the Canucks and Flames is definitely gorgeous. The 80's and early 90's hot-coloured Canucks-Flames matchup was also very beautiful 

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

medium_Yellow-canucks_yellowjersey.jpg_cf.jpg.c3ff34d456dc6d9c0244dda2c752c9e8.jpg

543540d4f13feead94476a433aed29d1.jpg_cf.jpg.fdffc81bce79fadbe3e8a79d89416bb2.jpg6000834_zps3vj7h76m.jpg_cf.jpg.d5255fa4236f5a222b2fc54bf91b2c56.jpg

With the exception of the Canucks' logo and their bland Agency font, the uniform matchup between the Canucks and Flames is definitely gorgeous. The 80's and early 90's hot-coloured Canucks-Flames matchup was also very beautiful 

"Cheese and crackers go well together"

"Yeah, crackers and crackers go well together too" 

8 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

the Canucks' logo

I still maintain that the single biggest problem with the Canucks' logo was the wordmark being included with it and that problem has been resolved.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The leaping Panther is up there with some the most iconic sporting logos and it is criminal that it's not being used full time. I honestly think it is a fantastic, dynamic logo that has just enough character quirks and 90's influences to it that makes it interesting and not a perfect logo designed in a 21st century lab. And despite the detail as well - which I would normally say is too much - in this case for some reason it just works. 

5 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I still maintain that the single biggest problem with the Canucks' logo was the wordmark being included with it and that problem has been resolved.

Agreed. As someone who is still an Orca hater I was blown away by how much the look improved by dropping the wordmark. 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:43 AM, NYRFan said:

The Leafs need to do exactly one thing with their uniforms

c11gv1te4sg31.jpg

wear the correct socks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

The Leafs need to do exactly one thing with their uniforms

c11gv1te4sg31.jpg

wear the correct socks. 

Those are the best Leafs uniform they ever wore. Put the modern leaf on the front and its perfect! 

The Penguins wore their gold helmet (and alternate jersey) for the first time last night and used the black and white decal. Now please put that decal on the white helmet.

1BxPu5s.png

7sVx9od.png

aFw3Ddn.png

qCCHA23.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

18 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Red is absolutely needed or they would be the most drab and lifeless looking team in the league by far without that little splash of color

Ok, i think you convinced me of the need for the splash of red. I see that now.

But, I'm still not liking the way its used. Just basically a super random stripe on the arm. Its not duplicated at the hem or the collar. Just feels awkward to me for some reason. And now i can't stop seeing it on the home and away set. I didn't notice it until that gold alt came out and now i can't unsee it. Oh well, could just be me, but it bothers me for some reason LOL

19 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

The Penguins wore their gold helmet (and alternate jersey) for the first time last night and used the black and white decal. Now please put that decal on the white helmet.

1BxPu5s.png

7sVx9od.png

aFw3Ddn.png

qCCHA23.png

The black and white PPG logo almost looks like it stands for Pittsburgh Penguins Group, so that's a small blessing. Its a lot more bearable in black and white.

40 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Ok, i think you convinced me of the need for the splash of red. I see that now.

But, I'm still not liking the way its used. Just basically a super random stripe on the arm. Its not duplicated at the hem or the collar. Just feels awkward to me for some reason. And now i can't stop seeing it on the home and away set. I didn't notice it until that gold alt came out and now i can't unsee it. Oh well, could just be me, but it bothers me for some reason LOL

I think it was Bill Foley or George McPhee who confirmed that the red was a last minute addition to the uniforms. The plan was to simply go with grey, gold, & black, and after seeing mockups of the uniforms someone in the front office thought they needed a splash of colour.

I'm guessing that the red stripes were probably black on the original designs, and they were set on the template so didn't feel like doing a complete redesign incorporating the red more cohesively.

Archived