2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

You might be on the wrong message board then

I mean, it is barely different. They had options if they didn't want to do a Fisherman jersey, Lou just didn't allow any of them in all likelihood.

53 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

You might be on the wrong message board then

Oh brother.  Yes, that’s the point.  Sorry I didn’t have the years memorized where the orange stripe was on bottom and when white was on bottom.  They only flip flopped throughout their history.  

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Oh brother.  Yes, that’s the point.  Sorry I didn’t have the years memorized where the orange stripe was on bottom and when white was on bottom.  They only flip flopped throughout their history.  

I know lol. I was more or less making fun of all of us for obsessing over details like that to the point that it’s brought us all together here.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, but the entire point of Reverse Retro was to be unique spins on retro designs. This is just their normal home with a change of blue and a flipped stripe order.

To be fair, there are several other teams that made only token changes to old jerseys and released those as their Reverse Retros.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

To be fair, there are several other teams that made only token changes to old jerseys and released those as their Reverse Retros.

They all had the courtesy of at least using designs not already on the Adidas template. The Islanders just essentially did their 2000's home jersey with a slightly different stripe arrangement, there's even less effort in that than the slight tweaks those teams did.

5 hours ago, insert name said:

The only thing the Islanders got right in the RR are the collars actually being filled in all the way. Why can't they do that with the regular jerseys?

the leafs are like this. Their RR jersey and the throwbacks they wore for their centennial a few years ago had full collars but their home and road have that hideous halfway thing. why do so many teams have it like that? was that adidas trying to make it their 'signature look' or some dumb s**t?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I don’t mind the navy base for the Islanders RR, and the collar is better than the home sweaters, but I think there’s a little too much orange. I’m not sure why it bothers me more than the toad jerseys. I also think it’s the gloves. They should have been solid navy for that. 

Also with Adidas making collars, I would have to imagine that they have the ability to make a normal looking collar on a hockey jersey but choose not too for whatever reason. There’s no reason that any of the collars in the league need to be half, toilet bowl collars.

Teams also should have played around with the color combos. The Hawks should have gone with solid black collars, so that they don’t have to have their current trash collar. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

No, the Islanders colors are exactly where they need to be. The RR that they have now sort of got them back to respectability on the uniform front separating from the Fisherman years(and Islander logo/fisherman jersey). It was a sigh of relief to look "normal" again. Then came the Reebok 2007 fiasco and now back to the original colors. There was also a lot of NFNS at the time, just look at the Oilers. they looked so much better prior to going to navy and a strange shade of orange.

I still maintain that a teal Fisherman or some form of LI Ducks homage could've looked pretty nice for an alternate jersey only worn a few times this season. Certainly more distinguishable from the normal home than the one the team ended up with.

Like, if a franchise as stodgy, old-fashioned and alternate-timid as the Habs were willing to do something unique for their franchise for their Reverse Retro, the Islanders should've easily been able to do something similar. We're not exactly asking for a neon Dallas-level departure here, just give people who want the Fisherman a teal Fisherman to appease that demographic. Or hell, pull a Vegas and do a Long Island Ducks fauxback if you don't want to do the Fisherman.

It's not nearly as much of a problem as Lou seems to think it is; after all, everybody else in the league did one willingly and put effort into them, even if the designs were simple. Only team that completely flunked the assignment of "do something bold" was the Islanders, who made a 5-second MS Paint recolor of their home jersey and called it a day.

He gets results, but Lou is a dinosaur when it comes to the stuff beyond just the game itself.

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Good on Lou and I hope the fisherman never sees the ice ever again

I mean, there's a reason they only lasted 2 years. They looked horrible in the late 90's, and they would look horrible now

5 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I mean, there's a reason they only lasted 2 years. They looked horrible in the late 90's, and they would look horrible now

They'd be ok for 3 games. Pretty sure they'd sell well, too...which is the whole point. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Peyote "looked horrible in the late 90's" and was brought back. The Wild Wing "looked horrible in the late 90's" and was brought back. If Arizona and Anaheim are willing to own up to what are commonly considered two of the biggest jersey faux-pas of all time, why can't the Islanders do a Fisherman for a few games just to shut up the people clamoring for it?

It's not like they're asking the Fisherman to come back full time, it's a :censored:ing specialty jersey, have some fun. Even if not the Fisherman, at LEAST pull a Vegas and do a Long Island Ducks fauxback in Isles colors to have something interesting beyond a 5-second MS Paint color job. When you make the friggin' HABS look bold with a jersey program, you've :censored:ed up.

Archived