2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Peyote "looked horrible in the late 90's" and was brought back. The Wild Wing "looked horrible in the late 90's" and was brought back. If Arizona and Anaheim are willing to own up to what are commonly considered two of the biggest jersey faux-pas, why can't the Islanders do a Fisherman for a few games just to shut up the people clamoring for it? It's not like they're asking the Fisherman to come back full time, it's a :censored:ing specialty jersey, have some fun. Even if not the Fisherman, at LEAST pull a Vegas and do a Long Island Ducks fauxback in Isles colors to have something.

Even the Habs had more fun with the program then the Islanders did, and all they did was flip blue and red on their home jersey!

But Peyote and Wild Wing are at the same level as the fisherman

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

But Peyote and Wild Wing are at the same level as the fisherman

And those teams didn't go "ooooh noooo, we can't bring those back, they're uuuuuglyyyyyy!!!". They just :censored:ing did it. Rather a team bring back a brash and ugly design straight-up than pussyfoot around with merch when everybody wants it as an alternate jersey like the Isles love doing.

And again, they had options for a non-Fisherman unique-looking fauxback. They just chose the MS Paint option because Lou is a :censored:ing dinosaur who won't accept anything else.

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And again, they had options for a non-Fisherman unique-looking fauxback. They just chose the MS Paint option because Lou is a :censored:ing dinosaur who won't accept anything else.

Now would've been an option yes. But my point is those jerseys were hated when they first appeared for a reason, it's like asking for the Sabres to bring back the Buffaslug for the sake of nostalgia

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Fun for me is never seeing those abominations mentioned again, let alone worn. I don't know why you're taking this so personally, it's simply a jersey many people don't want to see again.

And for the record, the new Wild Wing is somehow even worse than the trash they wore in the 90's. I don't think the Peyote jersey is in the same ballpark as the other two.

10 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Now would've been an option yes. But my point is those jerseys were hated when they first appeared for a reason, it's like asking for the Sabres To bring back the Buffaslug for the same of nostalgia

You say that, but I have seen some Sabres fans openly embracing the Slug recently. This is the standard cycle of weird hockey designs; something starts out hated, then becomes beloved over time as the team moves away from it and it gets to be more old-school. Nostalgia crops up and people begin to ask for that design again, it eventually is brought back as an alternate, rinse and repeat.

7 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Fun for me is never seeing those abominations mentioned again, let alone worn. I don't know why you're taking this so personally, it's simply a jersey many people don't want to see again.

And many Islanders fans disagree with you about the Fisherman; I've seen plenty of Isles fans express interest in seeing it come back as an alternate jersey to their main set. Their mistake wasn't the idea, it was the fact it was a complete rebrand. Had it been a Wild Wing or Peyote "crazy-ass third" situation, things go differently for it.

They're weird, but they're hardly "abominations" as alternate jerseys. Hell, the Islanders have had worse already as far as alternates go, unless you think their multiple BFBS jerseys are better than the Fisherman.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

And many Islanders fans disagree with you about the Fisherman. I've seen plenty of Isles fans express interest in seeing it come back as an alternate jersey.

Yeah and a lot of Rams fans like their new uniforms too. I don't really see your point here, people disagree about sports jerseys and I'll keep holding my opinion while they hold theirs

Whatdaya work for Lou Lamoriello?

Who cares for whatever handful of games if they wore some version of the fisherman? Sports are fun. You're allowed to have fun sometimes. I saw that Barzal goal several times on instagram and I didn't even realize until opening this thread that they were wearing different uniforms. The only people who are going to feel arsed to buy that are the Islanders fans who are jersey completists. Now, if it had been an orange fisherman jersey, which would've been true to the RR concept - yeah you'd get a lot of sticks in the mud who'd hate it, but they'd sell to all those Islanders jerseys completists, but also sell a non-insignificant amount more to people who want something a little kooky. Nobody's going to be inspired by this barely different navy blue sweater. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The thing is its a mandatory league-wide promotion, so I don't understand why some people would be upset about their team having to wear something kooky. Its not like they randomly decided to debut yet another of their awful BFBS alts of their own volition.

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They'd be ok for 3 games. Pretty sure they'd sell well, too...which is the whole point. 

That's the thing though, I'm not against wacky designs, I've always wanted a Mighty Ducks Wild Wing jersey and I love the Coyotes Kachina uniforms. I even like the Fishermen jerseys myself. But do people actually wanna see them again? This board doesn't represent the general population, far from it. It doesn't even accurately represents die hard fans. Not many people care about jerseys beyond "this looks fresh" or "this looks like :censored:". I'm not sure the Fishermen jerseys in teal would have pleased a lot of people, let alone Islanders fans who were around in the mid 90s or Lou. I'm just saying the navy RR may look boring to you, but in a nutshell, they actually look great. It's a solid jersey and it makes sense for a team run by Lou Lamoriello

spacer.png

How many people would have bought these, realistically? Even on this board, most of us I assume would have been amused to watch game highlights but I think the novelty would wear out fast. Sure, they could have worn them for two games only, but they can wear the navy RR 6 times and look good and the only ones complaining are jerseys nerds on the internet (no offense, I'm one of those nerds and I'm proud of it lol)

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

How many people would have bought these, realistically? Even on this board, most of us I assume would have been amused to watch game highlights but I think the novelty would wear out fast. Sure, they could have worn them for two games only, but they can wear the navy RR 6 times and look good and the only ones complaining are jerseys nerds on the internet (no offense, I'm one of those nerds and I'm proud of it lol)

The same kinds of people who made the Peyote and Wild Wing two of the very best selling Reverse Retros of them all? Funny how those two wacky designs are huge sellers but apparently this one would be an awful seller despite how :censored:ing infamous it is and how many people were demanding it when the RR program was initially leaked.

People love kitschy :censored: and nostalgia, and these are both; it could have easily been a huge seller.

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The same kinds of people who made the Peyote and Wild Wing two of the very best selling Reverse Retros of them all? I have to imagine the Isles' RR is not gonna sell particularly well because of just how damned similar it is to their home.

I dunno. You could be right, I don't think it's fair to assume that people hold the Fishermen jerseys in the same regard as the Wild Wing or Peyote jerseys but I could be wrong. I did find this list https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/12/07/the-washington-capitals-had-the-top-selling-reverse-retro-jersey/ and the only thing those 5 best selling jerseys have in common is they they were all worn at some point in the 90s, so maybe you're onto something. Then again, the RR version of the Lady Liberty jersey was pretty damn lazy too and it sold well so I'm not sure what that means exactly

I'd be curious to see who were in the bottom 5 though lol

7 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I'd be curious to see who were in the bottom 5 though lol

I'm assuming Detroit, Dallas, the Isles, Winnipeg and Toronto are down there with how universally they've been considered disappointments.

The RR designs the NHL says sold the best are Washington, the Rangers, Anaheim, the Avs and the Coyotes. Outside of the Avs, all of them are 90's designs.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

I'm assuming Detroit, the Isles, Winnipeg and Toronto are down there with how universally they've been considered a dissapointment.

Those are all teams with huge fanbases though. Well except maybe NYI. But fans will buy anything. So who knows? If I had to guess I'd say Nashville and Columbus are also near the bottom. Maybe St Louis? I'm assuming most people who loved the 90s jerseys already bought the blue one recently so the red one probably feels a bit redundant

4 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

If you think these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRccLbB2L92VT65uoMPo0

are on the "same level" as either of these:

AFTER LOOSING TAVARES, ISLANDERS GO INSANE AND BRING BACK FISH STICKS  JERSEY : hockeycirclejerkimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmKEM1bj2CKyat08U28Xp

well... you and I see things very differently, friend.

Well, not sure who you were quoting but those are all very corny and awesome in the same heavy 90s nostalgia way. The Mighty Ducks jersey is probably ranked a bit higher for a lot people because Kariya and Selanne were absolute superstars and made them iconic. Those were dark days for Islanders fan and the Coyotes were just as irrelevant back then as they are now. Context is important in this case I think. Nostalgia can cloud judgement and good taste lol. Not sure what you meant by "same level". You're implying the Ducks jerseys are better or worse than the other two?

44 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

If you think these:

You know...this jersey has really nice parts (the jade, the yoke, shoulder patches and the sleeve stripes) 

Replace Wild Wing with the script “Anaheim” (in eggplant, black, and white) and add a nice hem stripe or two and it’d be a nice jersey, I think. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, _RH_ said:

If you think these:

AFTER LOOSING TAVARES, ISLANDERS GO INSANE AND BRING BACK FISH STICKS  JERSEY : hockeycirclejerkimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmKEM1bj2CKyat08U28Xp

What I see in that Ducks jersey that I don't in the other two is.... a hall of fame player. 🙃

I saw, I came, I left.

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

That's the thing though, I'm not against wacky designs, I've always wanted a Mighty Ducks Wild Wing jersey and I love the Coyotes Kachina uniforms. I even like the Fishermen jerseys myself. But do people actually wanna see them again? This board doesn't represent the general population, far from it. It doesn't even accurately represents die hard fans. Not many people care about jerseys beyond "this looks fresh" or "this looks like :censored:". I'm not sure the Fishermen jerseys in teal would have pleased a lot of people, let alone Islanders fans who were around in the mid 90s or Lou. I'm just saying the navy RR may look boring to you, but in a nutshell, they actually look great. It's a solid jersey and it makes sense for a team run by Lou Lamoriello

spacer.png

Not to be nitpicky, but I'd like a little credit for my own concept.

And to toss my hat in the ring - the Isles' RR look gorgeous, but they are still boring. Teal fishsticks would've been much better.

The only crime the Fisherman committed was replacing the Dynasty set...  If they'd released it in 1995 as an alternate, it'd be looked back on as fondly as the other New York's Liberty jersey.

Archived