2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From that video post, the Isles RR's look like they're royal blue (ish).

The cuffs looks better in orange. They flip flopped the orange and white, the subtle change is better than the original jerseys.

33 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

Given the nature of Reverse Retro, is it boring? Sure. But that is a really clean look

Yeah they look good

27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, but the entire point of Reverse Retro was to be unique spins on retro designs. This is just their normal home with a change of blue and a flipped stripe order.

Well, since their normal jerseys are already retros, I'd say they didn't miss the point. What did you want them to do? Teal or orange Fisherman jerseys? lol

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Well, since their normal jerseys are already retros, I'd say they didn't miss the point. What did you want them to do? Teal or orange Fisherman jerseys? lol

aaf.png

the user formerly known as cdclt

15 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

You mean like how Anaheim and Arizona brought back their incredibly kitschy 90's jerseys in full sincerity for theirs and how the team seems perfectly fine using the fisherman logo for merch and everything else? Yeah, actually. 

A fisherman in their current blue could've been a nice Reverse Retro. This is uninspired. It'd be like Toronto changing the shade of blue on their home jersey and saying "it's Reverse Retro now"; like sure, you reversed something, but the program kinda dictated bringing back older designs, y'know? When teams like Arizona, Buffalo, Anaheim and the like are all doing entirely new designs never done on the Adidas template, the least the Isles could have done is a Calgary or New York where they only change the Fisherman's color scheme.

Like sure, it's not bad. But it's dissapointing, which is arguably worse. This looks nigh-identical to their home jersey as it stands, what was even the :censored:ing point of making it if you were going to make it so similar? At least the Leafs and Jets, disappointing though their jerseys are, showed some thought in bringing back older designs and logos. The Isles forgot to make a design until 5 minutes before the deadline, quickly slapped a recolor up and submitted it as their final design.

Hell, they could've pulled a Vegas and done a fauxback to the Long Island Ducks if they were so insistent against using the Fisherman design for it and it would've gone better because it would at least be unique in their jersey set from a design perspective.

I just get the sense the Islanders were vehemently opposed to the RR idea and only succumbed due to it being a league wide mandate. However they relented by doing it in the most acerbic way possible almost in protest.

On the one hand I understand where they're coming from. The team has been unstable for years and the brand has taken a beating, especially with the terrible alternates they've introduced and now that the team has finally turned a corner wearing the classic design it seems prudent not to make any changes with yet another wacky third. But if Montreal of all teams can join in and give people the blue alternate they've been crying for forever, you'd think the Isles could too. I guess you can blame/thank Lamoriello for this.

20 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I just get the sense the Islanders were vehemently opposed to the RR idea and only succumbed due to it being a league wide mandate. However they relented by doing it in the most acerbic way possible almost in protest.

On the one hand I understand where they're coming from. The team has been unstable for years and the brand has taken a beating, especially with the terrible alternates they've introduced and now that the team has finally turned a corner wearing the classic design it seems prudent not to make any changes with yet another wacky third. But if Montreal of all teams can join in and give people the blue alternate they've been crying for forever, you'd think the Isles could too. I guess you can blame/thank Lamoriello for this.

They didn't even have to do the Fisherman is the stupid thing, though. If Lou's that against the Fisherman as an alt, there's always an Islanders-colored version of the jersey of the team that paved the way for their existence;

spacer.png

This in Islanders colors would've been a perfect Reverse Retro design for them; embraces the history of Long Island hockey, isn't outlandish-looking and is visually-unique from the rest of their jerseys. Instead, we get a barely-changed Islanders home jersey.

42 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

They didn't even have to do the Fisherman is the stupid thing, though. If Lou's that against the Fisherman as an alt, there's always an Islanders-colored version of the jersey of the team that paved the way for their existence;

spacer.png

This in Islanders colors would've been a perfect Reverse Retro design for them; embraces the history of Long Island hockey, isn't outlandish-looking and is visually-unique from the rest of their jerseys. Instead, we get a barely-changed Islanders home jersey.

Yeah but you're talking about a guy who let the Devils go forever without a third and won't even let his hockey players wear facial hair. They had plenty of options but deliberately went with the most indistinguishable option possible.

3 minutes ago, Ark said:

The Islanders Reverse Retros are better than their regular uniforms.

They're the same thing with a darker blue and flipped stripes. Personally, I prefer the dynasty Isles colors over the 2000's Isles colors; one is associated with one of the most historically-dominant teams of all time, the other is associated with mediocre-to-bad teams on the precipice of moving to Kansas City, Hartford or wherever had an open NHL-quality rink.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

They're the same thing with a darker blue and flipped stripes. Personally, I prefer the dynasty Isles colors over the 2000's Isles colors; one is associated with one of the most historically-dominant teams of all time, the other is associated with mediocre-to-bad teams on the precipice of moving to Kansas City, Hartford or wherever had an open NHL-quality rink.

Yes it's a simple change but the design and look is just better.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

i would love to see teams embrace some of the local hockey history of there State or City too.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

5 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

i would love to see teams embrace some of the local hockey history of there State or City too.

NHL City Edition Uniforms, coming to a court arena near you in 2022...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived