2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

The Red Wings looked like they wanted to do "What if Red Wings in SPACE????'", but chickened out halfway and wound up with whatever this is. Took me a half period to notice that they weren't wearing their usual white striped pants until I saw that Jonathan Bernier was wearing his regular pants. 

During the game Jody Shelley asked Jeff Rimer if the uniforms reminded him of anything and Rimer said "I was gonna say practice jerseys". Shelly said they looked like Ohio State uniforms and then that's all I could see for the rest of the game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sport said:

During the game Jody Shelley asked Jeff Rimer if the uniforms reminded him of anything and Rimer said "I was gonna say practice jerseys". Shelly said they looked like Ohio State uniforms and then that's all I could see for the rest of the game. 

And when you're reminding people of your state's mortal college rival, that's probably not a smart move. 😛

It's great seeing even casual fans trashing the Red Wings RR. Reactions like this will hopefully cause teams to put more effort into jersey design in the future. They could've salvaged it by changing the silver stripes to red & using this logo instead:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's great seeing even casual fans trashing the Red Wings RR. Reactions like this will hopefully cause teams to put more effort into jersey design in the future. They could've salvaged it by changing the silver stripes to red & using this logo instead:

spacer.png

Couldn't agree more. I actually prefer this inverted version of the logo. This is what they should have went with. I have no idea how to post instagram links on here, hope it works lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7oqEyAUTa/

Hell they could have flip flopped red and white on either of these:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/RedWings/SpecialImages/RedWings01.png

http://www.nhluniforms.com/RedWings/SpecialImages/RedWings03.png

Not sure why the images aren't posting, sorry.

Hell, I kept the same jersey, scrapped the silver, used an old logo and early 80s number font.

Took me more time to upload to photobucket than to design it. 

DRW_RR.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Nordiques

Whalers

Oilers

Rangers (except for the collar)

Islanders

Capitals

Sabres

Panthers

Lightning

Coyotes

Canucks

Flames

Senators

Canadiens

Red Wings (color swap x 2 of home red jerseys)

Blue Jackets (change in shoulder patch)

Predators (change in shoulder patch)

Kings

Ducks

Sharks

Devils

Penguins (change in shoulder patch)

Flyers

et al

These were all color swaps from the original jersey. 

Seriously...take another look at them 

Whalers - I thought there were distinct differences in the design, but whatever maybe I'm wrong.

Sabres - I think there are differences in this one, maybe not.

Panthers - Totally unique striping design, don't know what youre talking about.

Blue Jackets - totally new design, striping template has no basis in their history

Predators - I'm pretty sure this design has taken liberties in how faithful it is to the original. 

Sharks - Again, it's a unique template design

Devils - I don't recall ever seeing that many hem stripes on any of their uniforms

Flyers - I think the template is a bit different to anything they've used before, but ok it's probably fairly close.

So there are at least half a dozen, maybe more examples

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Blue Jackets - totally new design, striping template has no basis in their history

what are you talking about, literally the exact same striping template as the original white uniform. Only change is the shoulder patch

Just now, dannykraft said:

what are you talking about, literally the exact same striping template as the original white uniform. Only change is the shoulder patch

Is it actually? Ok I'm wrong then.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

Whalers - I thought there were distinct differences in the design, but whatever maybe I'm wrong.

Predators - I'm pretty sure this design has taken liberties in how faithful it is to the original. 

Devils - I don't recall ever seeing that many hem stripes on any of their uniforms

Flyers - I think the template is a bit different to anything they've used before, but ok it's probably fairly close.

I don't mean to be a dick or nothing, but you're wrong about every single one of these lol. Even the Panthers. It's just a recolored version of the original red jerseys

On 3/1/2021 at 1:41 AM, Bayne said:

As I've said a couple of times already, these RR jerseys for the most part just feel a bit cheap and slapped together quickly.

14 hours ago, Bayne said:

It's just a starting point - there's clear evidence of creative choices being made for these jersey designs to end up with something that 'works'. Almost non of these were simply a strict colour swap job. 

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

The first two posts of yours here are just confusing...."They feel really cheap but there's clear evidence of creative choices..." 

The second and third post see you claim that "almost non are colour swaps" then "at least half a dozen are not" color swaps (out of 31) but there are only 1 or 2 in your own list that aren't color swaps...so it's not even half a dozen...

You're all over the place.

How can you not recall seeing the Devils with "that many hem stripes"?

1989-90 New Jersey Devils - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "NHL and adidas announce teams will be wearing Reverse  Retro Jerseys. My top four include: Devils, Wild, Hurricanes (Whalers!) and  Ducks.… https://t.co/QlxGQ2kE8b"

The Sharks have a unique template design? The RR is the modern adidas template, but the design is 99% similar to the 90s unis. 

1999-00 Jeff Friesen San Jose Sharks Game Worn Jersey: GAMEWORNAUCTIONS.NET

San Jose Sharks' Reverse Retro Harkens Back to the Beginning

The Panthers have a "totally unique striping design"? I mean the RR changed up the color order...but the striping design looks really familiar.

1999-00 Mike Sillinger Florida Panthers Game Worn Jersey:  GAMEWORNAUCTIONS.NET

adidas Panthers Adizero Reverse Retro Authentic Pro Jersey - Multi | adidas  US

The point of the RRs was to use old jerseys as inspiration and switch up the colors. That's why each of them have a " '96" on the inside collar or whatever.

Some aren't great, but we've talked about that. IMO, the RR program is overwhelmingly a success. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, BigBubba said:

Haven't really followed this thread--and major changes announced/rumoured for next season?

I'd expect the Coyotes to bring back the white Kachina and go with the throwbacks full time. Beyond that, I don't see any other teams making major changes to their home/away looks.

I'm not sure what the plan is with the reverse retros. I hope they don't go the NBA route and force every team to come up with a new RR design every season. There are definitely some teams that will want to bring back this year's as a full-time alternate (Panthers, Yotes, Capitals).

9 hours ago, BigBubba said:

Haven't really followed this thread--and major changes announced/rumoured for next season?

I haven't seen anything listed. I'm wondering if we see a mostly status-quo year due to COVID and teams wanting to give their new unis from this shortened season another look? I'm sure there were intended matchups that didn't get to happen due to the temporary realignment. 

But that's just my conjecture. I feel like I haven't seen or heard any movement or rumors for the upcoming October season. Believe in MLB, no new uniforms are being introduced this season...

52 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'd expect the Coyotes to bring back the white Kachina and go with the throwbacks full time. Beyond that, I don't see any other teams making major changes to their home/away looks.

I'm not sure what the plan is with the reverse retros. I hope they don't go the NBA route and force every team to come up with a new RR design every season. There are definitely some teams that will want to bring back this year's as a full-time alternate (Panthers, Yotes, Capitals).

Hopefully Colorado switches to blue numbers on away jerseys, but I guess that's not really a major change

Oilers Honour Walter Gretzky, Canada’s Hockey Dad

March 5, 2021 - 20:25 PM

“Canada’s Hockey Dad”, Walter Gretzky died this past Thursday. The father of National Hockey League legend Wayne Gretzky was 82 years old. A common sight at hockey arenas and charity events throughout Canada over the past 40 years, Walter was certainly the most visible “hockey dad” the game has ever

Read More...

Archived