2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

5 hours ago, cityhockeyfever said:

Again, just because an NHL team goes with their alternate jersey for the playoffs, it does not mean they are switching to it full time.

You've got to imagine that they will be going back to the Katchina jersey full time at some point soon. If not next season then the one after. I'd be very surprised if they stayed with the howling Coyote. I mean, almost everyone doesn't think much of it, whereas most people seem to love the original. It's sports marketing 101.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when Pittsburgh went home throwbacks through the playoffs and then revealed a white jersey to completely retire the Vegas gold set that offseason?

That's what I imagine is probably happening with the Kachinas; everything social media is using it if possible, they're purposefully using it as a home jersey in the playoffs, it's undoubtedly the most popular look for Coyotes fans, Meruelo is supposedly pretty high on them from what we've heard and this is right about the time when they can switch their uniforms around.

Pretty much everything is pointing towards it.

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

You've got to imagine that they will be going back to the Katchina jersey full time at some point soon. If not next season then the one after. I'd be very surprised if they stayed with the howling Coyote. I mean, almost everyone doesn't think much of it, whereas most people seem to love the original. It's sports marketing 101.

I agree, but it is crazy the amount of franchises that seemed to have failed that Marketing 101 class. LA Rams, Atlanta Falcons in the NFL. The Sabres and the Senators are FINALLY about to pass. All of those teams seem so easy to brand from a fan perspective, but management continues to overthink it. 

11 hours ago, cityhockeyfever said:

Again, just because an NHL team goes with their alternate jersey for the playoffs, it does not mean they are switching to it full time.

Actually, a team emphasizing their alternates historically has been a good indicator of permanent change. The Pens did it several times (the gradient Robo-pen replaced the diagonal Pittsburgh, the alternate Vegas gold became permanent, then the alternate/throwbacks became permanent). So have the Flyers (the black alt became permanent, then the orange alternate/throwbacks became permanent). Off the top of my head, other teams that made an alternate look permanent include the Wild, the Senators, the Flames, the Caps, the Blues, the Oilers (with slight modification), and the Canucks (with a logo change).

With the way the Coyotes are emphasizing the alternate, I'd be more surprised if they didn't switch to it full time.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

5 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Actually, a team emphasizing their alternates historically has been a good indicator of permanent change. The Pens did it several times (the gradient Robo-pen replaced the diagonal Pittsburgh, the alternate Vegas gold became permanent, then the alternate/throwbacks became permanent). So have the Flyers (the black alt became permanent, then the orange alternate/throwbacks became permanent). Off the top of my head, other teams that made an alternate look permanent include the Wild, the Senators, the Flames, the Caps, the Blues, the Oilers (with slight modification), and the Canucks (with a logo change).

With the way the Coyotes are emphasizing the alternate, I'd be more surprised if they didn't switch to it full time.

The Wild also used the popularity of their green alternative as a basis for their new green home when the Adizero template change happened...

It makes a lot of sense that the coyotes would possibly be going back to the Kachina look. And it would probably be in their best interest to make a little modification to them too, as they are a little dark right now. They need a little more emphasis on the red and black rather than the dark green and black.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 hours ago, Mingjai said:

LA wore their black alternates in the 2010 and 2011 playoffs before promoting them to primary status in 2011-12 and Anaheim did the same thing 3 years later.

Thanks to NHL Uniforms, Dallas (1999), Columbus (2007), Atlanta (2007), and the Islanders (2010) all also promoted an alternate look. Not a stretch to think the Coyotes, and Flames again for that matter, will too.

That Dallas one is kind of funny because they just yoinked the All-Star jerseys and then put the star pattern on the back.

I think those are still my favourite Stars jerseys, but I never liked how the socks didn't have any black on them/match the jersey striping pattern.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

That Dallas one is kind of funny because they just yoinked the All-Star jerseys and then put the star pattern on the back.

I think those are still my favourite Stars jerseys, but I never liked how the socks didn't have any black on them/match the jersey striping pattern.

The socks did match better and had black when the jersey was strictly their alternate.  When it became the regular dark jersey, the socks changed.

spacer.png

On 8/15/2020 at 1:03 AM, Morgan33 said:

I like what Minnesota has now but that jersey definitely makes better use of their unique colour palette.

Their expansion cousins pretty much use that same template now.

Also, on a random note, it's very strange that the Wild have never used green numbers on any of their jerseys.

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Their expansion cousins pretty much use that same template now.

Also, on a random note, it's very strange that the Wild have never used green numbers on any of their jerseys.

That’s a fun quirk that I really like about the Wild. It keeps the color balanced on the road jerseys. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Just now, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, it's not really necessary when cream has always been a team color.

True, I just find it to be a fun related quirk. Wild and Boston are the only current teams to not do so, and Seattle is likely to join them(per NHL Uniforms).

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 minutes ago, _J_ said:

True, I just find it to be a fun related quirk. Wild and Boston are the only current teams to not do so, and Seattle is likely to join them(per NHL Uniforms).

Except that’s not true either, per NHL Uniforms. Boston’s inaugural jerseys had white numbers, as did a black jersey in the early 60’s. 

29 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Except that’s not true either, per NHL Uniforms. Boston’s inaugural jerseys had white numbers, as did a black jersey in the early 60’s. 

And looks like I have to admit my mistake on that. Glossed over it I suppose. 

so yeah, just Minnesota for now. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 8/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Wade Heidt said:

The socks did match better and had black when the jersey was strictly their alternate.  When it became the regular dark jersey, the socks changed.

spacer.png

The Mooterus jersey design was also lifted from the 2002-03 All Star 

4 hours ago, Ark said:

Speaking of taking from All Star Game uniforms, the Wild should totally do that

a3e2c47a86df958170d920e5f2b62cd7

Perfect! Use the “Minnesota” wordmark on both jerseys (maybe a stylized “M” on the shoulders) and you no longer have a “Wild” problem. If you treat the team as the MHT (Minnesota Hockey Team), you buy time to rebrand as a North Stars-inspired club (because Dallas will never give the name up).

On 8/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, Wade Heidt said:

spacer.png

Back when the Stars looked mean. This is a far better look than what they use now IMO

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

7 hours ago, Ark said:

Speaking of taking from All Star Game uniforms, the Wild should totally do that

a3e2c47a86df958170d920e5f2b62cd7

But they already did with their 2009-2017 alternate jerseys. And those inspired the current road jersey back in 2013 and then the current home in 2017. So in a way, these inspired the Wild’s current look. 

Archived