College Football 2020

Kevin W.

32 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

Getting back on uniform talk,  As much as I like the UNC throwbacks I hope they don’t change from their current look anytime soon. The argyle is unbelievably good looking AND unique, one of the best modern uniforms do date IMO

Honestly there should be a way to combine elements from both UNC's current uniforms and their throwbacks if they wanted to make a change. 

• Like 6

Hotter Than July > Thriller

59 minutes ago, reb_fan_23 said:

Ole Miss went powder blue over all white for the final game of this season, meaning they wore the traditional gray pants a total of one game this season.  As I've said before, the white pants aren't awful, but are not great.  Really curious to see what direction the uniforms go in the future.  I could see an entirely new set being unveiled before next season.

spacer.png  

Call me nutso, but the more I look at this, the more I think perhaps Ole Miss should explore a full- scale rebrand around this colorway...if nothing else it'd be unique to CFB, as I believe right now Delaware State is the only college program that pairs light blue with red on a primary basis. 

53 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Honestly there should be a way to combine elements from both UNC's current uniforms and their throwbacks if they wanted to make a change. 

It shouldn't be too difficult...they'd probably need to skinny up their numbers justasmidgebit to accommodate the dropshadows, but I see no reason they couldn't keep those with the argyle pants and helmets...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 hours ago, tBBP said:

Call me nutso, but the more I look at this, the more I think perhaps Ole Miss should explore a full- scale rebrand around this colorway...if nothing else it'd be unique to CFB, as I believe right now Delaware State is the only college program that pairs light blue with red on a primary basis. 

I agree. I think Ole Miss would be well served to lean towards a 60's Oilers color scheme and move away from grey. Powder and Scarlet with white. Unique, distinctive and a call back to one of the best periods of OM football. 

11 hours ago, tBBP said:

It shouldn't be too difficult...they'd probably need to skinny up their numbers justasmidgebit to accommodate the dropshadows, but I see no reason they couldn't keep those with the argyle pants and helmets...

I don't know if you can get those two looks to be harmonious simply because the elements that make them what they are don't work together without feeling overdesigned. The argyle is intricate and fussy compared to the almost overly-large, bold stripes of the throwback. The pants stripes match the sleeve stripes match the helmet stripes in terms of line weight on the throwback. Using argyle on two of those elements (pants and helmet) while having plain stripes that don't match anything else on the sleeves would look disjointed.

Now I say that with it being my understanding of what you're saying above. Two other options you may mean instead are:

1. Add the argyle to the middle portion of the stripes on the various uniform elements. That, however, is what I meant by "overdesigned" above. That's like saying "I like pickles. I also like cake. I will put pickles on my cake." They just don't go together without feeling obviously forced. 
  2. Just adding drop shadows to the current uniform and reducing the weight or width of the numbers. That seems like a lot more doable solution, though it would just be the modern look with drop shadows. 

I'd argue that, besides any nostalgia, what makes the throwback successful is that it includes a fair bit of variation in color because the stripes are so large while still staying within the rough definition of "traditional" stripes. So many college uniforms have plain/solid-color pants sometimes with the addition of (again) fussy, overly-intricate elements that don't necessarily translate well at distance (e.g. team names, piping instead of stripes [though that fad has faded somewhat], logos, patterned stripes, etc.). Seeing big stripes like UNC's (or even just complete waist to knee stripes, generally) is refreshing. And my argument against "fussy" detailed elements isn't even necessarily an indictment of UNC's argyle. I think it works alright for them. I do think argyle is disproportionately viewed as positive on these boards because of so many designers working it into their concepts. But I also don't think it's bad in practice. It's just not the best option for football.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, RayFinkle said:

The Orange Bowl field looks pretty good. Feels like an actual Bowl game. 

T A&M, you don't have maroon/non-white pants??? Or colored socks??

Either Adidas wasnt able to produce maroon pants in time before the start of the season or we just straight up shelved them as every game we wore white pants this year. I dont believe Jimbo is a fan of alternate uniforms and looks so we just stuck with our 2 combos all year. I wish we would have had maroon pants to bust out as M/W/M is my preferred road look.

• Like 1

Ole Miss' uniforms (at least in football) have been a disaster for nearly all of their existence as a program, so I agree, they need a rebrand desperately. As it stands now, they can't even decide whether they want to be a red team or a blue team.

On the increasingly rare occasions when they still wear the traditional silver pants, they look even worse than usual because the jerseys and pants look like they came from two entirely different uniform sets. And that's not even getting into the extra issues that the powder blue helmets add in.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Glenn52-14 said:

I agree. I think Ole Miss would be well served to lean towards a 60's Oilers color scheme and move away from grey. Powder and Scarlet with white. Unique, distinctive and a call back to one of the best periods of OM football. 

I’ll third that. I LOVE powder blue and red as a color scheme, it bugs me how many teams shy away from it (my high school even dropped red in favor of dark blue as a secondary color).

It also provides the added bonus of distancing themselves even further from being the “Confederacy” school. Along those lines, I wish either they would drop the Rebels nickname, or get Disney to license them use of the Star Wars rebel logo as a secondary. The whole land shark secondary thing is kind of lame IMO. 

At the end of the day it isn’t a “PC” thing. The “Rebels” referenced by their nickname fought for slavery and committed treason against the US. It should go along with the other bad nicknames in sports. 

• Like 6

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I don't know if you can get those two looks to be harmonious simply because the elements that make them what they are don't work together without feeling overdesigned. The argyle is intricate and fussy compared to the almost overly-large, bold stripes of the throwback. The pants stripes match the sleeve stripes match the helmet stripes in terms of line weight on the throwback. Using argyle on two of those elements (pants and helmet) while having plain stripes that don't match anything else on the sleeves would look disjointed.

Now I say that with it being my understanding of what you're saying above. Two other options you may mean instead are:

1. Add the argyle to the middle portion of the stripes on the various uniform elements. That, however, is what I meant by "overdesigned" above. That's like saying "I like pickles. I also like cake. I will put pickles on my cake." They just don't go together without feeling obviously forced. 
  2. Just adding drop shadows to the current uniform and reducing the weight or width of the numbers. That seems like a lot more doable solution, though it would just be the modern look with drop shadows. 

I'd argue that, besides any nostalgia, what makes the throwback successful is that it includes a fair bit of variation in color because the stripes are so large while still staying within the rough definition of "traditional" stripes. So many college uniforms have plain/solid-color pants sometimes with the addition of (again) fussy, overly-intricate elements that don't necessarily translate well at distance (e.g. team names, piping instead of stripes [though that fad has faded somewhat], logos, patterned stripes, etc.). Seeing big stripes like UNC's (or even just complete waist to knee stripes, generally) is refreshing. And my argument against "fussy" detailed elements isn't even necessarily an indictment of UNC's argyle. I think it works alright for them. I do think argyle is disproportionately viewed as positive on these boards because of so many designers working it into their concepts. But I also don't think it's bad in practice. It's just not the best option for football.

The unc throwback is completely overrated compared to their current set. It was also short lived and not unique as nike took over a bunch of school contracts at the time from the legacy suppliers (champion, russell etc.) and gave a bunch of schools that drop shadow font (uga, kan, mia etc.) all at the same time. The current block font and argyle is distinctly unc and all they need is to get some more consistency with the argyle application on the helmet stripes and other elements when they are of the same color.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Ole Miss' uniforms (at least in football) have been a disaster for nearly all of their existence as a program, so I agree, they need a rebrand desperately. As it stands now, they can't even decide whether they want to be a red team or a blue team.

On the increasingly rare occasions when they still wear the traditional silver pants, they look even worse than usual because the jerseys and pants look like they came from two entirely different uniform sets. And that's not even getting into the extra issues that the powder blue helmets add in.

I agree that they have a cluttered or lacking identity but unfortunately no matter what work you do via a brand standardization or reinvention you will inevitably have the nostalgia quickly pull them back to their awful decades old look because of tradition. Also they made attemps in the mid 90's to clean up the uniforms by switching the shells to navy and adding navy & red trim to numbers and stripes to create a more uniform look between their various jerseys but ultimately they went back to the old look.

7 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The unc throwback is completely overrated compared to their current set. It was also short lived and not unique as nike took over a bunch of school contracts at the time from the legacy suppliers (champion, russell etc.) and gave a bunch of schools that drop shadow font (uga, kan, mia etc.) all at the same time. The current block font and argyle is distinctly unc and all they need is to get some more consistency with the argyle application on the helmet stripes and other elements when they are of the same color.

This year's UNC throwbacks used the modern font, with the added shadow. 

What's inconsistent about the argyle application on the helmet stripes? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 minutes ago, guest23 said:

foA2nOI.jpg

I think if they placed the argyle on the sleeves, like they are on the pant stripe and helmet here, you can mix in the sleeve stripes with it. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Everything you're complaining about with this uniform is everything I love about it. The disjointed, piecemeal look is 100 percent it's charm, and any attempt to "fix" it ( like the total failure in the 90's) would just result in a boring uniform, indistinguishable from a dozen other teams. If they fix what's "wrong" with Ole Miss's look, I'd never bother to look at them again.

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The helmet stripes mimic the basketball application, but then the collar and pants are just on the base color of those parts. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The helmet stripes mimic the basketball application, but then the collar and pants are just on the base color of those parts. 

57 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Everything you're complaining about with this uniform is everything I love about it. The disjointed, piecemeal look is 100 percent it's charm, and any attempt to "fix" it ( like the total failure in the 90's) would just result in a boring uniform, indistinguishable from a dozen other teams. If they fix what's "wrong" with Ole Miss's look, I'd never bother to look at them again.

To each their own, but in my opinion, the fact that their current brand can only either be boring or a mismatched mess just further proves that they need to start from scratch.

If they were to do what some people in this thread have suggested and undergo a total rebrand that emphasizes powder blue, they could still stand out from the rest of the SEC without dressing like a low-budget high school team.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

12 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Either Adidas wasnt able to produce maroon pants in time before the start of the season or we just straight up shelved them as every game we wore white pants this year. I dont believe Jimbo is a fan of alternate uniforms and looks so we just stuck with our 2 combos all year. I wish we would have had maroon pants to bust out as M/W/M is my preferred road look.

Stripeless Primeknit pants are available as a stock item in maroon. If A&M wanted to wear maroon pants, you’d have seen it.

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Stripeless Primeknit pants are available as a stock item in maroon. If A&M wanted to wear maroon pants, you’d have seen it.

Whats a little odd is when they released the new uniform look, there never was any pictures of the road look and the graphic said there was a maroon pant option for the road, but there has never been any photos of them.