The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

18 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Sucks when you have to get what is effectively some cheaply made piece of physical spyware just to get into a game. Even more so if the last time you were helping out people with tech was adjusting the rabbit ears on the TV and changing the channel for your Dad. There should at least be an option for the less technically/more privacy inclined like, oh I don't know, a physical ticket?

I have a client in his early-mid 60s who successfully insisted on getting paper season tickets from the Ravens for his shared package in 2018 after they had otherwise gone fully digital.  He has a smartphone, but is otherwise kind of a tech moron.*  I don't what he did last year.

He gave me his tickets for the Ravens-Saints game in 2018.  Fortunately, he lives about three minutes from my office, so the paper ticket handoff was pretty simple.

* -- Over 1-2 beers, I can tell the story of my son and I trying to explain to him over the phone how to attach and send a document from his laptop.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m far from a tech moron, and it was a total PiTA for me to figure out how to get my ticket for the Eagles playoff game last year.  Between Ticketmaster app, Eagles app, and I think there was even a third app involved (and multiple password creations and confirms) I’m lucky I got in. I had no idea they did the barcode with the dynamic line that sweeps it, and had no idea from the ticket confirm that so many steps were involved. 

the tic was forwarded from a STH, and I guess if I was a STH I’d have the procedure down pat, but Jesus it was hard. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/14/2020 at 9:17 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I’m far from a tech moron, and it was a total PiTA for me to figure out how to get my ticket for the Eagles playoff game last year.  Between Ticketmaster app, Eagles app, and I think there was even a third app involved (and multiple password creations and confirms) I’m lucky I got in. I had no idea they did the barcode with the dynamic line that sweeps it, and had no idea from the ticket confirm that so many steps were involved. 

the tic was forwarded from a STH, and I guess if I was a STH I’d have the procedure down pat, but Jesus it was hard. 

That happened to me when I went to the Fiserv.Forum grand opening. My phone at the time was a decent yet cheap LG, the memory sucked on it so I had to instal and delete apps at regular intervals until the OS ended up taking up all the memory. So my buddy decided to get the entrance tickets as well so we could get in. The second time for a Bucks game I was able to access them through the e-mail the team sent me. I upgraded my phone to an iPhone for my 3rd and last time there pre COVID for a Tool concert, had both the Bucks app and ticketmaster app, the tickets came through the ticketmaster one, when I thought they came through the Bucks one. Thankfully I did a little research and figured it out beforehand. I also took a screenshot in case something screwy would happen. My friend bought the tickets and dispersed the through texts. Made it easy breezy. 

packchampionslfroh.png

On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 AM, leopard88 said:

Over 1-2 beers, I can tell the story of my son and I trying to explain to him over the phone how to attach and send a document from his laptop.

By God.....

That sounds like a hell of a story.

Has the NFL even thought about what they're going to do about the Super Bowl? 

Florida is already an epicenter, if it still stays that way into January they're screwed. 

Best case is to move it somewhere more stable (like NY or MA). or are they really going to go with having it with reduced (or no) attendance?  

They're obviously better off canceling the Halftime show at least. 

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Has the NFL even thought about what they're going to do about the Super Bowl? 

Florida is already an epicenter, if it still stays that way into January they're screwed. 

Best case is to move it somewhere more stable (like NY or MA). or are they really going to go with having it with reduced (or no) attendance?  

They're obviously better off canceling the Halftime show at least. 

You have no way of knowing how present it will be come February, let alone what the epicenters of infections will be. Just three months ago NY was the epicenter and the South had hardly been hit at all.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

4 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

You have no way of knowing how present it will be come February, let alone what the epicenters of infections will be. Just three months ago NY was the epicenter and the South had hardly been hit at all.

Although this could be wishful thinking we could be by then what Europe is now in regards to the virus.  

9 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Although this could be wishful thinking we could be by then what Europe is now in regards to the virus.  

This is why I get frustrated when I see that cities or states rush to judgment to the cancelation of events well in advance. I know there has to be planning and all but you do not need to be canceling events in the 1st quarter of next year just yet.

In some cases it is warranted as this is a very devastating virus but we don't know how we will be in 6 months, let alone 6 days.

54 minutes ago, JayMac said:

This is why I get frustrated when I see that cities or states rush to judgment to the cancelation of events well in advance. I know there has to be planning and all but you do not need to be canceling events in the 1st quarter of next year just yet.

In some cases it is warranted as this is a very devastating virus but we don't know how we will be in 6 months, let alone 6 days.

It takes time AND money to set up any event, especially one that take months and years of planning. The uncertainty of the virus scares off many planners. If you spend all that time, labour, and money planning for an event, only to decide the event has to be delayed or cancelled a week or month prior, then the planners would have wasted more money than they would have if they made that call earlier. 

I saw, I came, I left.

Wear a mask. Tell your friends and your aunts on Facebook too.

Then you can have fall sports. That's the trade-off.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

42 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wear a mask. Tell your friends and your aunts on Facebook too.

Then you can have fall sports. That's the trade-off.

Why do I have the feeling this is directed at someone specific? 

I saw, I came, I left.

18 hours ago, Red Comet said:

By God.....

That sounds like a hell of a story.

There was a lot of eyerolling on our end of the call.  This came to mind.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the earliest a US Sporting event will have full fans again will be August.....2021.  At that time, Europe will have had fans return en masse to sporting events again already for several months.  

I thought that "wear masks and we'll have football" would have been a really popular winning message back in May. Now we're all just a bunch of losers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I thought that "wear masks and we'll have football" would have been a really popular winning message back in May. Now we're all just a bunch of losers.

Too much conspiracy nonsense, where people believe that facts exist to persecute them.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

This just in from the NFS Department: Americans want sports to play with or without fans despite  the pandemic. 

Uh yeah, after the last few months of nothing on and seeing what happens when nothing is on, I'm not surprised at all.

By, "nothing on" , you mean people wearing masks, right? 

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived