Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this has already been covered (or if this had been done in San Diego too and means nothing regarding LA), but I must admit that I LOVE the advertising designs that have been posted today. This particular gold-to-blue filter(?) does have a very "SoCal sun" look to it:

IMG_5639.PNGIMG_5640.PNG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I find those filters a little annoying.  The yellow is just too much.

I really think the complaining about this logo is harsh even by CCSLC standards.

There's really nothing objectively wrong with it, and for what it is (at most a tertiary mark never intended to go on a helmet) it does its job perfectly.

Even subjectively, unless the color bothers you, or any interlocking LA that isn't the Dodgers bothers you, it's so simple that there's not even much to subjectively dislike.  TBH, the color does kinda bother me, for the exact reason that the Lightning made that tweet.  Solid blue should be avoided unless against a non-white background.  

Not diminishing anyone's opinion - they're all valid - but I'm just really surprised that so many attacked it.  It's almost like it became the "cool" thing to do. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I'm kidna glad they're staying the Chargers, but I think they need to break with tradition if they want to be "LA's team".  The navy/ powder / yellow is not only associated with SD, but it's also extremely similar to their roommate.  

A team with the name "chargers" and bolts as their logos can be a little flashy.  Be bold - do bold chrome-gold (oxymoron?).  Change shade of blue.  Add black.  Or hell - go black and volt.  If there's ever an appropriate time, it's now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No re-brand at all?  How disappointing.  Not advocating throwing out what they have but this was a great opportunity to tweak their identity into something great.  A modernization of the shield with the horse could have been great.

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So I'm kidna glad they're staying the Chargers, but I think they need to break with tradition if they want to be "LA's team".  The navy/ powder / yellow is not only associated with SD, but it's also extremely similar to their roommate. 

I'm happy they're staying as the Chargers only because the new interlocking LA is incredible.

I don't want to read into the motives of people who don't like it (I've also skipped the past 6 or so pages), and I agree that it's bogus that Chargers left SD. But if you want to keep the colors and you want to ingratiate yourself to existing LA sports (Dodgers) fans, that bolt logo is a pretty slick way to do it.

I haven't seen anything as clear and directly tied to Los Angeles from the Rams and they've had a year up on the Chargers. It took the Chargers one day to so much better brand themselves as an LA team.

And, say what you will about StubHub, but the Dodgers will also have a fresh, distinct look next year while the Rams will continue to toil away in a stadium that's at least 20,000 seats too big for them. Lots of people will say StubHub will appear minor league, but it'll also have the benefit of being full and will look different than every other NFL stadium. I'm looking forward to it.

So, in a nutshell: boo on the move. Yay on the branding.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm heartbroken for the San Diego fans, but glad that it looks like the chargers name and colors will remain. I hope they bring back an updated version of the shield with the horse. It was a bitter day, as it is a taste of what is coming just around the corner for the Oakland Raiders. 

32 minutes ago, TJSC said:

Do you think they're going to make another, reworked version of the LA logo after the backlash?

i doubt it, because i'm not sold it's an official logo. it's a secondary at best anyway (surely, the bolt would stay on the helmet). there are some slight craftsmanship issues with the logo, but it's solid enough. if it were 50 years old, it would be tattooed on thousands of fans. my real concern is the color palette.

but what i would hate to see, is if this is an official logo and the team believed in it enough to put it into their identity, then changed it after one day of snarky tweets. you have to weather the storm of initial hate. the people that dont like change are the first and loudest. usually, these things smooth themselves out with time and the logo becomes accepted. it's a fine logo and sure beats the hell out of the crap logos the NFL has pumped out previous to it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I too am dissapointed in the move, but ecstatic that "Chargers" is staying. 

What it it boils down to for me is, I don't want to run the risk of there never being a "Chargers" of any kind ever again. You could leave the name in San Diego, but what if San Diego never gets another team again? Then what does "Chargers" amount to? A nice little section in Mitchell and Ness or NFL Shop as a bygone team with cool snapbacks? 

Old relics like the Oilers or Whalers are nice and all, and believe me, as a sports history geek I love them. But there's still an emptiness to knowing we're not getting those teams ever again that I don't want attached to a team that existed for 55+ years. The only time I'd be fine with the Chargers rebranding is if we were absolutely sure San Diego would get another shot. But where that may not look likely, I'd rather it not be risked.

In short, I'd a million times over rather have the Los Angeles Chargers, or even the St. Louis Chargers, or even the Winnipeg Chargers than no Chargers at all.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

You could leave the name in San Diego, but what if San Diego never gets another team again?

Unless some mad billionaire buys the Chargers and moves them right back, San Diego will never get another team again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As someone who once too had to abandon his local team, let me welcome all disaffected Chargers fans to Raider Nation. FOLLOW ME TO FREEDOM! Unless they move to Las Vegas in the next couple days, in which case, I dunno, mail the NFL dildos or something, s'prolly what I'm gonna do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It doesn't even make sense. Is there really anyone in, say, Maine who's a Patriots fan but not a Celtics, Bruins, or Red Sox fan because the latter three "only" represent Boston?

I don't think the news on the emergence of professional sports leagues has made its way to Maine yet. Give it a few more months, and then we can reconvene on this question.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

29 minutes ago, TJSC said:

these illuminati conspiracies is pure comedy, I really hope he's being sarcastic right now (skip to 1:35 and 2:33)

Synopsis: The Chargers and Rams caused World War III. Seems about right.

Disclaimer: We really shouldn't make fun of people with the level of severe mental illness that this gentleman exhibits.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived