Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Rich people waste money all the time because they can. It's essentially the definition of being rich. 

EDIT: Or, what @oldschoolvikings just said. :)

Well it's a little more nuanced than that. Here is a prioritized source of funds list for where the wealthy prefer to route their expenditures:

• Taxpayer subsidies and other government incentives
  • Activities funded through a money losing side business/tax shelter to offset income
  • Expenses incurred while running a non-profit org
  • Subsidised government loans
  • Private low interest loans/lines of credit
  • Personal expenses that can be categorized as a business expense provided by the company that you own/run
  • Family trust
  • Personal Accounts/out of pocket

39 minutes ago, colortv said:

Rich people don’t get rich by wasting money no matter the amount.

im-41077?width=620&size=1.5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Well it's a little more nuanced than that. Here is a prioritized source of funds list for where the wealthy prefer to route their expenditures:

• Taxpayer subsidies and other government incentives
  • Activities funded through a money losing side business/tax shelter to offset income
  • Expenses incurred while running a non-profit org
  • Subsidised government loans
  • Private low interest loans/lines of credit
  • Personal expenses that can be categorized as a business expense provided by the company that you own/run
  • Family trust
  • Personal Accounts/out of pocket

spacer.png

And it’s not wasting money if it will make you more money. Really any redesign expenses are offset within the first year regardless if the design is good because fans want to have the most updated gear. People bought buffaslug gear like crazy the first year for Christ sake.

13 hours ago, colortv said:

Whoa, someone tell Nike one of the biggest corporations on the planet some people are whining on twitter about their design and while they're at it tell the Rams to drop another hefty sum on a redesign.

Spending a lot to have a design team chasing every possible trend is exactly what put the Rams in this position. An unpaid intern in the marketing department could figure out that most of the fanbase would be happy with the throwback look.

14 hours ago, colortv said:

If the uniforms sell well(which we can't determine yet) then it won't matter.

We don't know yet, but the team certainly has a sense.  There are two important factors in how uniforms sell - the initial rush, and how it ages.  Even terrible uniforms can have a huge initial rush of interest (the Buffaslug reportedly sold remarkably well at first), but longevity separates the good from the bad.

The Rams should now just be starting to see what sales are like when the initial rush wears off.

14 hours ago, colortv said:

If the uniforms sell well(which we can't determine yet) then it won't matter.

We don't know yet, but the team certainly has a sense.  There are two important factors in how uniforms sell - the initial rush, and how it ages.  Even terrible uniforms can have a huge initial rush of interest (the Buffaslug reportedly sold remarkably well at first), but longevity separates the good from the bad.

The Rams should now just be starting to see what sales are like when the initial rush wears off.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Rich people don’t get rich by wasting money no matter the amount.

A rebrand for the Rams isn’t necessarily a waste of money

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:35 PM, dont care said:

I beg to differ, there is plenty of talk about how awful they are in general discussion I’ve had with fans everywhere from die hard to casual. Admittedly none were rams fans but those are hard to find here. Then on Twitter and Facebook their look gets destroyed on a weekly basis.

Totally agree don't care. People who know I'm a uniform nut have asked me about the Rams uniforms a lot this year. The funniest is "Did the trainer forget to wash them?"

On 1/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Are you serious? Rich people waste money constantly. That's pretty much the defining characteristic of the lifestyle.

I'm talking about titans of industry making business decisions, not Paris Hilton spending $5,000 on a purse.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:19 AM, BBTV said:

There's no way the current Rams set is worse than the Bucs alarm-clocks.  "worst of all time" is hyperbole.

You might think it's hyperbole, but a cursory glance at the "NFL Uniform Rankings Thread" shows that almost all the participants in that thread put the Rams' uniforms dead last. LAST in a league that still has the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals!

I will grant that a few of those rankings were probably jokes - but not all of them. Some people really do think that the dishwater means it's the worst of all time, which is crazy. I can watch a Rams game without the uniforms affecting my enjoyment of the game, but it looks like not everyone can.

7 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

You might think it's hyperbole, but a cursory glance at the "NFL Uniform Rankings Thread" shows that almost all the participants in that thread put the Rams' uniforms dead last. LAST in a league that still has the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals!

I will grant that a few of those rankings were probably jokes - but not all of them. Some people really do think that the dishwater means it's the worst of all time, which is crazy. I can watch a Rams game without the uniforms affecting my enjoyment of the game, but it looks like not everyone can.

Mistake number 1 is looking at that thread.  Even still, "worst right now" doesn't mean "worst of all time".  While I'm sure that there are some people that may feel that way, I'm also sure that recency bias plays into at least some of that.  Ranking are subjective, and it's my opinion that they're bad - really bad - but still not in the same territory as the former Browns, Bucs, Jags half/half helmet, early 00s Bills, maybe current Titans, and Falcons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Mistake number 1 is looking at that thread.  Even still, "worst right now" doesn't mean "worst of all time".  While I'm sure that there are some people that may feel that way, I'm also sure that recency bias plays into at least some of that.  Ranking are subjective, and it's my opinion that they're bad - really bad - but still not in the same territory as the former Browns, Bucs, Jags half/half helmet, early 00s Bills, maybe current Titans, and Falcons.

Then what territory would you put them in? Because I think the Rams’ monstrosities fit snuggly with the rest of those.

I'll be honest, I think the mono-bone set might actually be the "worst of all time". It's all subjective so rankings are just sort of stupid. But when you mention all of the teams that are grouped in that bottom tier - Bucs alarm clocks, 00s bills, etc - At least the uniform was kind of cohesive. At least there was an element of the uniform here or there that made sense. I don't think there is one element on the mono-bone set that is worth keeping. Not the color, not the shiny weird numbers, not the white on yellow on bone shoulder stipe that gets lost, not the "los angeles rams" patch... nothing. Nothing on that set looks good from a design or just plain aesthetic view point. What from that set is a good element???

5 hours ago, JustForFun said:

The bone is pretty bad, but I wouldn’t put too much stock in what the board says as far as the general public.People here seem to think every NFL team should stick with their 80s uniforms or some plain Jane designs and never change.

Archived