NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, TGroce said:

Great reminder of how much I loved the 18-19 OKC City Ediitons

spacer.png

This is a great example of the NBA money grab screwing with team identities. If I remember correctly, this uniform was a big hit compared to what they choose as their sets when they moved to OKC. Imagine a white set of this uniform and they would have a pretty solid identity. Now, this jersey is gone but we can only dream. 

8 hours ago, joekono said:

This is a great example of the NBA money grab screwing with team identities. If I remember correctly, this uniform was a big hit compared to what they choose as their sets when they moved to OKC. Imagine a white set of this uniform and they would have a pretty solid identity. Now, this jersey is gone but we can only dream. 

Nothing's stopping OKC from doing that other than themselves. It's not the "NBA money grab," it's the Thunder wanting to look as generic as possible.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm obviously preaching to the choir here, but as someone who doesn't always watch a lot of regular season basketball, I just randomly decided to turn on the Magic/Knicks game because, you know, it's on local television and I had a couple minutes to burn, so why not...

So I turn it on, and I see one team wearing black and another wearing white. Well, the Magic do wear black uniforms regularly, the game is at MSG so white uniforms make sense for the Knicks...it's the Magic and Knicks both wearing their City edition uniforms, which means the Knicks are wearing black again, for some weird reason, and the Magic are wearing white uniforms with orange pinstripes (which...I guess it makes sense given their history with pinstripes? But it's hardly visible from any distance). 

I couldn't care less about whether teams should wear color at home or white at home. Frankly, let that be up to the individual teams; packing uniform equipment in the NBA isn't anywhere near as problematic as it is for NHL teams. But it shouldn't be too hard to be able to turn on a random game and know which team is which when I see their uniform colors. This obviously doesn't compare to that Warriors/Lakers game last season at Staples where it was the Warriors wearing gold uniforms, but it's still not a good reflection on the league.

But, again, preaching to the choir...

spacer.png

Just turned it on and, yep, to the casual viewer it would make no sense. Not only that, but the scorebugs show light blue for the Knicks -- who are in black and dark blue for the Magic -- who are in orange and white.

Ozb5Czc.png

This is dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Just turned it on and, yep, to the casual viewer it would make no sense. Not only that, but the scorebugs show light blue for the Knicks -- who are in black and dark blue for the Magic -- who are in orange and white.

Ozb5Czc.png

This is dumb.

thank you! i just hopped on here to say that.. it’s not even just the casual viewer who finds it confusing; i am a die hard knicks fan of 25 years, i watch a ton of games every season... and several times today it took me a second to realize the knicks were the team in black.

it’s such a joke

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm obviously preaching to the choir here, but as someone who doesn't always watch a lot of regular season basketball, I just randomly decided to turn on the Magic/Knicks game because, you know, it's on local television and I had a couple minutes to burn, so why not...

So I turn it on, and I see one team wearing black and another wearing white. Well, the Magic do wear black uniforms regularly, the game is at MSG so white uniforms make sense for the Knicks...it's the Magic and Knicks both wearing their City edition uniforms, which means the Knicks are wearing black again, for some weird reason, and the Magic are wearing white uniforms with orange pinstripes (which...I guess it makes sense given their history with pinstripes? But it's hardly visible from any distance). 

I couldn't care less about whether teams should wear color at home or white at home. Frankly, let that be up to the individual teams; packing uniform equipment in the NBA isn't anywhere near as problematic as it is for NHL teams. But it shouldn't be too hard to be able to turn on a random game and know which team is which when I see their uniform colors. This obviously doesn't compare to that Warriors/Lakers game last season at Staples where it was the Warriors wearing gold uniforms, but it's still not a good reflection on the league.

But, again, preaching to the choir...

A professional league should have a system, even if only for practical purposes, for the casual viewer to be able to distinguish instantly, who is the home team, and who is the visitor. Not having a home and away uniform designation throws this function out of the window, creating a mess of "we just wear whatever uniform we want whenever we want". What makes the most sense, is the home team wearing a white (or a light) uniform, and having the visiting team wear a colored (dark) uniform, just for the reason that the home team's colors and identity are already prominently displayed on the home court, and the home audience is well familiar with it, whereas the visiting team gets to represent their identity only on their uniforms. Color against color (away vs away) looks also unprofessional and that there's too much going on. Still doesn't look right to me after some time already as being a norm.

Pacers at Golden State in yellow against the Warriors on their yellow court is another example of what you guys are talking about.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Ozb5Czc.png

This is dumb.

On Orlando local TV it had the Magic box in orange and the Knicks box in blue. You know, the exact opposite of what you'd expect them to be.

I like these city uniforms (aside from the mismatching outlines on the front, which is enough to make me not buy it because it's all I'll ever see), but come on, pick better opponents to wear it against. Like, for example, any team that doesn't normally wear white uniforms with orange lettering at home.

Anyway, that's the only notable failure from the Magic in that game. Yep, definitely the only thing worth mentioning. Move along.

ExJworW.png

There is a lot of chatter about how the current NBA Uni scheme, the city stuff especially, takes influence from global soccer clubs’ kit practices ... but generally said clubs have first-choice kit colors and stick to them. It’s not unusual for a soccer team to unveil a third kit and then only wear it twice. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 hours ago, Digby said:

There is a lot of chatter about how the current NBA Uni scheme, the city stuff especially, takes influence from global soccer clubs’ kit practices ... but generally said clubs have first-choice kit colors and stick to them. It’s not unusual for a soccer team to unveil a third kit and then only wear it twice. 

Never found the soccer aesthetics or system that originates from Europe good or cool - starting from the boring and uninspiring generic logos and ending with uniforms with its unrelated colors to the teams brand identity - nor the wearing pattern. Can't see why it should be dragged onto basketball, when the NBA's visual world was one thing that made it so much more attractive and interesting, and had that going for itself.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:27 AM, Ben in LA said:

Just thought this was cool. And to think SOMEONE out there probably has ALL of threes.

This graphic is a visual representation of how every NBA team has at least one WTF uniform. Every row is like a family picture where you can easily identify the drunk uncle.  

i'll make a biased case for the pelicans being the least weirdest. at least in the eyes of someone from here. our jerseys have been either our regular colors or mardi gras which is even more commonly worn around the city. and i know our current city editions are a little iffy but it's quite literally just a copy and pasted new orleans flag so really not anything new feeling

also the spurs and wizards have kept it "quiet" all throughout besides the fiesta jerseys which i think blend in just fine with the spurs since fiesta colors aren't anything new either for the spurs brand

IMG-7122.gif

Other than maybe the Buffalo Braves throwback, I wouldn't say the Clippers have worn any "WTF" uniforms in the Nike era. Nearly all of their alternates have just been recolors of the primary home and road uniforms, while the LA Olympics-inspired City uniform had basic traditional striping.

The Clippers, Spurs, Wizards and Kings have been the least creative/ambitious teams in the Nike era from a branding perspective.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

15 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Other than maybe the Buffalo Braves throwback, I wouldn't say the Clippers have worn any "WTF" uniforms in the Nike era. Nearly all of their alternates have just been recolors of the primary home and road uniforms, while the LA Olympics-inspired City uniform had basic traditional striping.

The Clippers, Spurs, Wizards and Kings have been the least creative/ambitious teams in the Nike era from a branding perspective.

I guess we all have our own definitions of what a WTF uniform would be in this context. A lot of teams have alternates that look good on their own merits, but would better represent some fictional create-a-team rather than the one they're actually attempting to represent.

My definition is admittedly pretty narrow: Any set that makes me wonder, at a glance, what team it represents is a WTF uniform. I can pick at least three out of that Clippers lineup that meet that definition. Of the ones you mentioned, I'll agree that the Wizards and Kings are definitely less muddled.

37 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I guess we all have our own definitions of what a WTF uniform would be in this context. A lot of teams have alternates that look good on their own merits, but would better represent some fictional create-a-team rather than the one they're actually attempting to represent.

My definition is admittedly pretty narrow: Any set that makes me wonder, at a glance, what team it represents is a WTF uniform. I can pick at least three out of that Clippers lineup that meet that definition. Of the ones you mentioned, I'll agree that the Wizards and Kings are definitely less muddled.

That’s because the Clippers, even before the Nike era, have no identity. The went from the Darlings is San Diego to the irrelevant, other LA team, to Compton’s team, within the last 50 years. From powder and orange to red and blue to red, blue, and BLACK. 

4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That’s because the Clippers, even before the Nike era, have no identity. The went from the Darlings is San Diego to the irrelevant, other LA team, to Compton’s team, within the last 50 years. From powder and orange to red and blue to red, blue, and BLACK. 

They aren’t even comptons teams though. They are just trying to pretend that they are.

Archived