NBA Changes 2020/21

SportsLogos.Net News

Seems like those Nets throwbacks were a hit, rare to hear so many people talk about alternate unis on social media and even on the broadcast. Weirdly speaks to the value of being a team that regularly makes significant brand changes rather than goes "timeless" ... the nostalgia hits stronger when it's something like this.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

As for the Hornets, I still contend the changes they made were an overcorrection. I thought the prior set could use fine-tuning, but these new ones have an over-reliance on white and teal. They feel out of balance. The purple is way too underplayed, and the white neck and shoulder trim is way too much. 

I just don't understand, why they didn't use the template of the current City uni, only with their actual colors. It would be so obvious.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, Digby said:

Seems like those Nets throwbacks were a hit, rare to hear so many people talk about alternate unis on social media and even on the broadcast. Weirdly speaks to the value of being a team that regularly makes significant brand changes rather than goes "timeless" ... the nostalgia hits stronger when it's something like this.

I don't see it as being a consequence of a brand that changes frequently. I don’t think you'd see the same reaction with a return of the early 2000s teams that made it to the NBA finals (even though those were pretty nice sets.) I just think the tie-dyed novelty is just enough of an oddity that it strikes a chord. 

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't see it as being a consequence of a brand that changes frequently. I doubt think you'd see the same reaction with a return of the early 2000s teams that made it to the NBA finals (even though those were pretty nice sets.) I just think the tie-dyed novelty is just enough of an oddity that it strikes a chord. 

It also helps when your regular uniforms are literally black and white.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Around the Horn said:

It also helps when your regular uniforms are literally black and white.

To me there's always this thing of black and white teams never being as visually interesting and fascinating, I'm even inclined to watch highlights of colored teams first before the B/W teams. When it's only one team in a league with such a color scheme, it's kinda their thing, and that's why I was a little annoyed when Nets announced they were going B/W, since yeah, there's silver too, but Spurs were the black and white team in the NBA, other than Nets becoming a second colorless team.

On 1/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, Haz_Matt said:

After watching the Jazz games on local broadcasts, I'm curious. Is it weird for anyone else to see local company ads on the courts of opposing teams? Jazz broadcasts have had Vivint (sponsor of their home arena) opposite of the other team's court/arena name/sponsor and locally based banks such as Zions Bank or America First Credit Union inside the 3 point arc opposite of the team's logos.

I really don't like the clutter of logos on the courts

Yea, it’s annoying. The Magic project the Amway logo on the away courts.

spacer.png

On 1/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, WSU151 said:

NBA: Nets' new Classic Edition unis show off their colorful history

Yeah as a uniform nerd I'm not sure why they changed a few details like the outlines and font. Seems like as the official outfitter of the NBA, Nike should be a bit better on the details. 

Yeah I think we all are in our own special way.😃

On 1/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, Haz_Matt said:

After watching the Jazz games on local broadcasts, I'm curious. Is it weird for anyone else to see local company ads on the courts of opposing teams? Jazz broadcasts have had Vivint (sponsor of their home arena) opposite of the other team's court/arena name/sponsor and locally based banks such as Zions Bank or America First Credit Union inside the 3 point arc opposite of the team's logos.

I really don't like the clutter of logos on the courts

its weird, but I’ll take them over having actual ads plastered all over the court.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, kimball said:

But, as great as the Nets' throwback jersey is, they effed up BIG TIME with those numbers! Not only was the #7 and #1 off as noted previously, but the #2 is blocked and not slanted like the originals. I can look past the small differences in the #1 and #7, but if you mess up the #2s in throwbacks ... no, just no. You lose me.

I saw that game and I was like "what?!", all photos from leaks, unveiling etc suggets that they simply use Bulls numbers but they not. Nike really got problems with retro jerseys because is not a first time when they mess things up. Thanks god they didn't f.....d up Mavs numbers like adidas.

4r2eer.png

21 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I saw that game and I was like "what?!", all photos from leaks, unveiling etc suggets that they simply use Bulls numbers but they not. Nike really got problems with retro jerseys because is not a first time when they mess things up. Thanks god they didn't f.....d up Mavs numbers like adidas.

Yeah, I mean I’m glad there is a throwback program at all of course, but it definitely comes across as lazy when very clear and visible details like the Nets’ numbers are mishandled. I’d throw the wide width of the Hornets’ classic edition pinstripes in there too, among others - those were more like tape strips than pinstripes. I don’t know who’s totally responsible for those cases - whether Nike or the teams themselves submitting the wrong details* - but whoever is responsible could have done a whole lot better.

*I suspect it’s actually the teams, as there’s been plenty of other classic editions that didn’t seem to have clear problems. I’m not sure, though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, I mean I’m glad there is a throwback program at all of course, but it definitely comes across as lazy when very clear and visible details like the Nets’ numbers are mishandled. I’d throw the wide width of the Hornets’ classic edition pinstripes in there too, among others - those were more like tape strips than pinstripes. I don’t know who’s totally responsible for those cases - whether Nike or the teams themselves submitting the wrong details* - but whoever is responsible could have done a whole lot better.

*I suspect it’s actually the teams, as there’s been plenty of other classic editions that didn’t seem to have clear problems. I’m not sure, though.

The Nets' numbers are one thing, where the fonts are really similar, and if you haven't paid specific attention to them, or, never saw the unis in action at the time, like me, you won't notice or know the difference. It still is a thing that the design department responsible for the unis should be aware of and taken care that it was done accurately and correctly.

The Hornets' pinstripes, on the other hand, is a thing that sticks out like a sore thumb between the original jerseys and the classic editions, since it's such a prominent element of the design that is a classic, and there's a big difference between wider "tape strips" and thin pinstripes. How they ended up with the wide stripes regardless, is beyond me.

I tried to check every nike classic uniforms (except Pacers because they weren't a real throwbacks) for mistakes and here are results

17/18:

Bucks - Wrong wordmark and #5 + unneeded logo on waistband. Also real jersey didn't had NOB but this is passable (same SFW from 19/20).

Suns - Wrong numbers (I found they used three different versions of numbers font but non of them are Celtics font like Nike used) and NOB + unneeded logo on waistband

Hawks - Wrong NOB + unneeded logo on waistband

Hornets - Wrong NOB + too thick stripes (same thing in 18/19 and 19/20)

Warriors - unneeded logo on waistband

Heat - unneeded logo on waistband

Lakers - Wrong numbers + unneeded logo on waistband

18/19:

Magic - unneeded logo on waistband

Timberwolves - seems to be ok

Hawks - wrong #2 + unneeded logo on waistband

Jazz - seems to be ok

Both Warriors - seems to be ok

19/20:

Cavaliers - seems to be ok

Jazz - seems to be ok

Raptors - seems to be ok

Grizzlies - seems to be ok except different #2 on front and back

76ers - unneeded logo on waistband, btw they had #5 that Bucks should had.

Warriors "The City" - seems to be ok (same with 20/21)

SF Warriors - it look like they should had same numbers font as "The City"

Clippers - wrong stripes pattern, wrong #5

Trail Blazers - seems to be ok

Kings - seems to be ok

Rockets - wrong NOB and #1(they used numbers from "The Twin Towers" days)

20/21:

Lakers - seems to be ok

Nets - wrong numbers + wrong stripes pattern (white stripes should be thinner)

Mavericks - wrong wordmark

Grizzlies - seems to be ok

Of course I didn't count changes resulting from nike cut or from produce techniques (I mean in Orlando jersey only stars should be stitched and rest of wordmark should be sublimated).

4r2eer.png

On 1/9/2021 at 1:44 AM, truepg said:

To me there's always this thing of black and white teams never being as visually interesting and fascinating, I'm even inclined to watch highlights of colored teams first before the B/W teams. When it's only one team in a league with such a color scheme, it's kinda their thing, and that's why I was a little annoyed when Nets announced they were going B/W, since yeah, there's silver too, but Spurs were the black and white team in the NBA, other than Nets becoming a second colorless team.

The Spurs at least have silver. I think Black and Silver is a distinct, striking colour scheme, as the Raiders, White Sox and Kings have also shown. But just Black and White is rather blegh, I agree.

16 hours ago, pepis21 said:

19/20:

Warriors "The City" - seems to be ok (same with 20/21)

SF Warriors - it look like they should had same numbers font as "The City"

I think the original SF Warriors jersey had a wordmark with the same outline+dropshadow treatment of the numbers instead of the outline used on the throwbacks

spacer.png

PS: while looking for the original I came across this... a warmup used as an on court uniform 

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

2 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

I think the original SF Warriors jersey had a wordmark with the same outline+dropshadow treatment of the numbers instead of the outline used on the throwbacks.

Good catch, both adidas (from 09/10) and nike SFW jerseys have only an outline.

4r2eer.png

Archived