NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

Guest darkpiranha

They may be holding it for later, but I find it interesting that except for that tentacle shape, there's nothing that nails down what this Kraken is.  I can see two reasons for that.  One, is that they are never going to establish "THIS is the Kraken!" as a specific monster, but instead let it just be an amorphous mystery with a red eye.  Granted, it's harder to market and sell stuff.  But that leads to my second thought and that's that if they DO nail down a look or a specific monster, it will likely reference, or be visually similar to, some established sea monster.  You can't have it look like either of the actual Clash of the Titans krakens without getting into a licensing deal with Warner Bros.  If you make it look like the kraken from the Pirates movies, Disney will want a fee.  You can make it a generic squid or octopus, but that's pretty dull.   So I think they might just not ever definitively establish what the Kraken looks like.   Third, this opens up tons of fan involvement.  With no definitive look, then fans can dress up as, or create signs for, or buy toys for, any sort of sea monster they can imagine.  The team can have "What do YOU think the Kraken looks like?" contests.   Even so, it'll be a challenge either way.  When you establish "mysterious" as a branding element, you can't just go and reveal the mystery soon after.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's certainly unique. Although, I think it's kind of weird to consider an entire team to be one singular creature. Krakens probably would have been an easier sell for some people.

I dig the logos, and the jerseys look alright. The number outline of the blue jerseys probably should've been red, but it's solid.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Hold up--are the Capitals no longer using the Weagle as their primary? (Or was that script always the primary and I just never paid it any mind until now?)

The script's been the primary since they moved from the Screaming Eagle look. The Weagle's always been a secondary logo.

Personally, I find the Weagle a little unfitting for a primary role; I'd rather Washington lean into the Screaming Eagle as a primary. Just having a wordmark as the logo feels kinda silly, as monkeypower's image pretty obviously shows.

16 minutes ago, bowld said:

Hardly. This is a place to discuss uniforms, logos and brands. Team names are what they are

yeah, the name has nothing to do with the brand and certainly doesn’t inspire the logo or uniform. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As terrible as the name is, I will likely buy this hat eventually.

ff_4014707-9121525a5bb3dc841b09alt1_full

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Kraken was hardly my preference among the names they apparently made sure they owned websites for--but it was far from he worst (Emerald? really)

It would have bene in the top third of names.

So I'm okay with it--it has potential.

Like most here I really like the primary logo & colours & uni.

I lek the negative space tentacle int he S--very nice.

If the shorts were one of the lighter colours that could work as well.

The secondary logo I question other than a way to incorporate the Space Needle into a logo.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

15 hours ago, Bayne said:

Yes that's definitely something I noticed straight away. There's many similarities in the treatment of the home jersey between the two franchises. Curiously, I do think I like the Seattle home more than Vegas', but I prefer Vegas' white roads to Seattle's. I'm not sure how I feel about the Kraken logo on white. Not sure it works anywhere near as well as it does on a dark background.

The blue of the jersey bleeding into the negative space of the S and becoming the "testicle" is what makes the blue work so incredibly well for me.  

2 hours ago, selgy said:

The blue of the jersey bleeding into the negative space of the S and becoming the "testicle" is what makes the blue work so incredibly well for me.  

“Testicle”?  That’s nuts!

I can haz sig?

8 hours ago, Buc said:

If dude only knew...

Hold up--are the Capitals no longer using the Weagle as their primary? (Or was that script always the primary and I just never paid it any mind until now?)

It should be.  It's interesting that the team put it on the floor of the locker room instead of the word mark primary.

Any chance that by the time the Kraken play their first game it will be in a different jersey than what was unveiled? Not 100% different, just enough to set it apart from the China fakes that will flood the market over the next year and a half?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

13 hours ago, Buc said:

according to the mothership, the script was always the primary. 

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/30/washington_capitals/

Archived