NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 9/21/2020 at 8:07 AM, El Scorcho said:

Surely Twitter would have something in it's terms and conditions allowing it to simply change usernames at a whim if it was clear account squatting was taking place.

I know Instagram changed the handle of a Reading FC supporter living in Sussex so they could give the @sussexroyal handle to Harry and Meghan - without even telling him first. I think he ended up with @_sussexroyal_

As sparky chewbarky awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself logged into Twitter as @iloveboobs69420

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

As sparky chewbarky awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself logged into Twitter as @iloveboobs69420

...wondering as to how this could possibly happen, sparky contacted his buddy, the admiral @ilovetheKrakenxoxoxo...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Ok this is a kinda pointless observation but I am currently working on a paper about the Starbucks logo and I found out their logo is based off Norse mythology's Siren, and they were also founded in seattle. 2 norse based logos founded in seattle, I looked it up and couldn't find anything about heavy norse influence there, does anyone know something I dont?

A quick Google revealed this ... https://www.seattlemag.com/news-and-features/new-generation-embracing-seattles-nordic-history-and-culture 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

There’s also Swedish Medical Center - the sign being the famous(?) “Swedish” Tom Green put his bum on.

Lots of descendants of Norwegians and Swedes live in the area. Not a huge number mind you but not insignificant. The Puget Sound is as close as you’ll get to the fjords in the lower 48.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 10/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, dannykraft said:

I actually thought Sirens would have been a really great name given the city’s association with Starbucks and progressive politics.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I actually thought Sirens would have been a really great name given the city’s association with Starbucks and progressive politics.

There's talk of Seattle acquiring a pro women's hockey team.

I've heard "Sirens" being bandied about as a possible name for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to everyone involved in building this brand. Seattle’s bringing home some hardware before they even start playing:

Rising from the Depths: Seattle Kraken—Clio Sports Awards

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wooo! Well deserved.

I know it's the new hot thing in town, but I've been amazed at all the Kraken gear I've seen.  At the airport, at the doctor's office with by a grandma, wine tasting.  

I've seen gear everywhere I turn.  I think people are really excited about the team and also loving the branding.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

38 minutes ago, lilgump said:

Wooo! Well deserved.

I know it's the new hot thing in town, but I've been amazed at all the Kraken gear I've seen.  At the airport, at the doctor's office with by a grandma, wine tasting.  

I've seen gear everywhere I turn.  I think people are really excited about the team and also loving the branding.

Ditto. Again, there's the new team bump, but the only local team I see more gear for is the Seahawks. Otherwise, it's Kraken stuff everywhere. Costco, drug store, gas stations, etc. The brand has been a big hit!

On 10/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, dannykraft said:

This may be helpful to you: https://www.nordicmuseum.org/

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 10/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, dannykraft said:

Washington's no Minnesota or the Dakotas in terms of Nordic influence in the state, but it is in the best of the rest category. It's more or less the same as Wisconsin in both terms of absolute number and of percentage of population claiming Scandinavian roots.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

7 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Washington's no Minnesota or the Dakotas in terms of Nordic influence in the state, but it is in the best of the rest category. It's more or less the same as Wisconsin in both terms of absolute number and of percentage of population claiming Scandinavian roots.

Yeah. Definitely more of a Seattle thing than a Washington thing, and even more specifically, the Ballard neighborhood at the mouth of the canal (where the museum is located) was where these immigrants traditionally settled, many of them responsible for building Seattle’s fishing industry.

According to Wikipedia, these are the only states with at least 10% residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

North Dakota- 36.1%

Minnesota- 32.1%

South Dakota- 21.5%

Utah- 14.9%

Montana- 14.1%

Wisconsin- 13.5%

Washington- 12.5%

Iowa- 11.5%

And these are the only states with at least half a million residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

Minnesota- 1,580,776

California- 1,510,541

Washington- 739,043

Wisconsin- 728,248

Illinois- 575,991

I think we need to stop beating the "Scandinavian heritage" drum for the Kraken. The name was chosen because its le epik win and marketable. Not because of some post hoc rationalization. They were able to carve out a great logo and a solid jersey, we don't need to retcon the naming too.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think we need to stop beating the "Scandinavian heritage" drum for the Kraken. The name was chosen because its le epik win and marketable. Not because of some post hoc rationalization. They were able to carve out a great logo and a solid jersey, we don't need to retcon the naming too.

How about we stop beating the “I have no contextual knowledge of the project but I’m still going to serve up hot takes like I was in all the meetings” drum. Just because you want something to be true doesn’t make it true.

The name was chosen because it was popular with prospective fans. The identity was designed to make sense for Seattle, and the city’s Nordic heritage was very much part of that from the early stages of the design process. End of story.

37 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

How about we stop beating the “I have no contextual knowledge of the project but I’m still going to serve up hot takes like I was in all the meetings” drum. Just because you want something to be true doesn’t make it true.

The name was chosen because it was popular with prospective fans. The identity was designed to make sense for Seattle, and the city’s Nordic heritage was very much part of that from the early stages of the design process. End of story.

Thank you. Before I moved to Seattle, I had no idea there was a scandinavian connection. But now that I've been here a while, it's obvious that Kraken fits the community.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not to mention that it’s exactly where most of these naming processes start - you research the city and build something around what you find.  That’s especially true when the designers come in from elsewhere. 

The local connections aren’t created after the fact, they help drive the earliest stages of the process. 

You know and maybe it's just because I haven't really heard anything about the team in a while since all the reveal hullabaloo died down, but "Kraken" has grown on me, or at least I don't have any strong feelings about it either way any more. I've gone from not liking it to "it's fine I guess".

Part of it I think is that the logos and the jerseys are pretty good, even though I will say the jersey striping still gives me Ducks vibes.

IbjBaeE.png

On 10/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, sportsfan7 said:

According to Wikipedia, these are the only states with at least 10% residents claiming Scandinavian heritage:

North Dakota- 36.1%

Minnesota- 32.1%

South Dakota- 21.5%

Utah- 14.9%

Montana- 14.1%

Wisconsin- 13.5%

Washington- 12.5%

Iowa- 11.5%

Utah is an interesting one because we know about all the Swedes and Norwegians in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa (Iowegia!), but Utah is up there because the really old Mormon stock is almost all English and Danish. Part of the reason Mormons pioneered giving white kids dumbass names like Kaighleigh and Jaxxzyn is that every like tenth family is named Christensen and they need to set everyone apart.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived