NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

4 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

It’s like the opposite of the Red Wings nameplates. They switched to a cheaper looking one at the end of the preseason. 

Maybe they felt that with the outline, the captain letters were taking too much space and getting too close to their comically huge logo lol. It's really bad, in some picture the A looks like it's overlapping the logo. They need to tone it down a bit, it looks ridiculous

spacer.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, Gothamite said:

Looks fine to me. 
spacer.png

Rainier seems to have two peaks from several angles.  Well, three including the little one off to the left. 

Would have been better if they matched the angle you get when you see it on a clear day FROM Seattle, like this one:
rainier-seattle-view.jpg

It is what it is.

The lack of creative C/A patches is so stupid.  The Flyers had the keystone patch for the WC a few years ago and I thought it was brilliant.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The lack of creative C/A patches is so stupid.  The Flyers had the keystone patch for the WC a few years ago and I thought it was brilliant.

That's why I'm so annoyed that the Flames' primary sweaters didn't carry over the Atlanta Flames-styled "A" for the set. Maybe it was a trademark issue with the NHL Heritage Collection?

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's why I'm so annoyed that the Flames' primary sweaters didn't carry over the Atlanta Flames-styled "A" for the set. Maybe it was a trademark issue with the NHL Heritage Collection?

Agreed. In fact, I think they should have kept the font from the adidas set (not italicized) on the 80s jerseys. The retro jerseys had the incorrect then-current font in NHL11 or 12 I think but I thought it looked better than the normal block font. Wish I could find a picture. Is this an unpopular opinion? I think the font looked good and was fitting for a team from Calgary in a way that I can't really put into words lol

29 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The Panthers tried to be a little more creative and it's fine because it's subtle but it's too gimmicky for me. A regular letter is fine. Not everything has to be high-concept

spacer.png

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Agreed. In fact, I think they should have kept the font from the adidas set (not italicized) on the 80s jerseys. The retro jerseys had the incorrect then-current font in NHL11 or 12 I think but I thought it looked better than the normal block font. Wish I could find a picture. Is this an unpopular opinion? I think the font looked good and was fitting for a team from Calgary in a way that I can't really put into words lol

The Panthers tried to be a little more creative and it's fine because it's subtle but it's too gimmicky for me. A regular letter is fine. Not everything has to be high-concept

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whoa...I completely missed that one.  How long have they been doing that? And do the alternates' patches really read "Panthers" while the captain's patches read "Florida"? That's really kinda not smart if that's the case.

Also, just in case there may be someone out there unsure as to the source inspiration behind this setup...

61BQgAyZJWL._AC_UX342_.jpg

original.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Maybe they felt that with the outline, the captain letters were taking too much space and getting too close to their comically huge logo lol. It's really bad, in some picture the A looks like it's overlapping the logo. They need to tone it down a bit, it looks ridiculous

spacer.png

I was waiting for the point about A) the size of the logo, B ) the size of the captain’s patch, and C) the lack of outline on said patch to be mentioned. I think the size of the front logo is the only thing keeping the Kraken identity from being truly on another level. They need to reduce by like 10% and it would be perfect. 

My first though when I saw Giordano with the C patch was “good lord that’s big.” Which is a shame, because the single layer C/A really does look cheap when the numbers on the back are outlined. Toning down the size on both the logo and the patch helps solve both of those problems (hopefully).

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Whoa...I completely missed that one.  How long have they been doing that? And do the alternates' patches really read "Panthers" while the captain's patches read "Florida"? That's really kinda not smart if that's the case.

Also, just in case there may be someone out there unsure as to the source inspiration behind this setup...

original.jpg

Since 2016-2017 when they introduced the new logo and uniforms. And yeah, not surprising that you missed it, I'm sure most people haven't noticed either, like I said it's pretty subtle

The military inspiration was intentional from the beginning

"The Panthers completely redesign their uniforms, featuring a logo inspired by the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. Panthers owner Vincent Viola, a graduate of West Point, was a member of the elite infantry division."

If I'm not mistaken the picture I posted is misleading, "Florida" is worn on the red jersey. It only says "Panthers" on the white away jersey. The opposite would have made more sense but oh well. Nobody liked the rebrand anyway

Just now, AFirestormToPurify said:

Since 2016-2017 when they introduced the new logo and uniforms. And yeah, not surprising that you missed it, I'm sure most people haven't noticed either, like I said it's pretty subtle

The military inspiration was intentional from the beginning

"The Panthers completely redesign their uniforms, featuring a logo inspired by the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. Panthers owner Vincent Viola, a graduate of West Point, was a member of the elite infantry division."

If I'm not mistaken the picture I posted is misleading, "Florida" is worn on the red jersey. It only says "Panthers" on the white away jersey. The opposite would have made more sense but oh well. Nobody liked this rebrand anyway

1.  I totally forgot about the Florida captain stuff.  I actually like that quite a bit. 

2.  I think I'm one of the few who actually liked the Panthers rebrand.  I definitely don't think it's all that interesting, but as far as rebrands go, it was tasteful. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

26 minutes ago, tBBP said:

It reads " Florida" on the home jerseys and "Panthers" on the road jerseys. Basically the opposite of what it says on the front of the jersey. I think it's pretty smart

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 minute ago, CS85 said:

I think I'm one of the few who actually liked the Panthers rebrand.  I definitely don't think it's all that interesting, but as far as rebrands go, it was tasteful. 

It's an okay rebrand, other than the chest stripe that doesn't go around the back, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the jersey. The military theme for a team called the Panthers is a bit unwarranted and slightly corny but it's subtle so I can live with it. The thing is, while it was a huge improvement over the Edge monstrosity it replaced, the OG jerseys were much better. If it was up to me, they'd go with the RR jerseys full time. Make a red third or demote the navy RR to third jersey status, I think both options would be acceptable, make a white version for the road and that's instantly a top 10 look in the league imo. I could also go either way on the beige vs golden yellow, either would be good

spacer.png

I like the military Panthers better than the 90s Panthers.

I think that sports logos should be relatively simple, and the current logo has the 90s identity beat in that regard. I also love seeing little details with meaning in sports uniforms, and the new Panthers have plenty of 'em. Not to mention that the color palette really pops, and feels sleek as all hell.

That being said, I think the RR should definitely become their 3rd jersey. I just like their current identity better.

59 minutes ago, CS85 said:

1.  I totally forgot about the Florida captain stuff.  I actually like that quite a bit. 

2.  I think I'm one of the few who actually liked the Panthers rebrand.  I definitely don't think it's all that interesting, but as far as rebrands go, it was tasteful. 

Am I alone in calling the current logo (which I like) “Steve French,” after the Trailer Park Boys character?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I doubt it considering they have used it since since the pedestal jerseys, so I can't see it being a trademark issue.

I think it's more like what someone said, maybe it was you, where teams are going full throwback and not making any improvements/changes to the throwbacks for the sake of going full throwback. The 1980-1994 jerseys didn't use the Atlanta A for the alternate letter, so the 2021 return can't.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I like the military Panthers better than the 90s Panthers.

I think that sports logos should be relatively simple, and the current logo has the 90s identity beat in that regard. I also love seeing little details with meaning in sports uniforms, and the new Panthers have plenty of 'em. Not to mention that the color palette really pops, and feels sleek as all hell.

That being said, I think the RR should definitely become their 3rd jersey. I just like their current identity better.

Not sure how navy, red and beige(!) is a color palette that "pops". It does feel sleek though lol. And it does feel a bit more mature than their OG jerseys with the big ANGERY panther on the front and the palm tree shoulder patches, I'll give you that

5 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I was waiting for the point about A) the size of the logo, B ) the size of the captain’s patch, and C) the lack of outline on said patch to be mentioned. I think the size of the front logo is the only thing keeping the Kraken identity from being truly on another level. They need to reduce by like 10% and it would be perfect. 

My first though when I saw Giordano with the C patch was “good lord that’s big.” Which is a shame, because the single layer C/A really does look cheap when the numbers on the back are outlined. Toning down the size on both the logo and the patch helps solve both of those problems (hopefully).

are they compensating for the lack of collar contrast with absurdly large logos and captain's letters? like the A in that photo looks bigger than the shoulder numbers 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:04 PM, tBBP said:

Reprehensible. 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:27 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Captain Florida" sounds like the world's sketchiest superhero.

Archived