NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

On 9/28/2021 at 1:09 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Little misunderstanding here. I cut "no red gear" from his post. I wasn't specifically talking about jerseys. I just happen to find solid navy blue gear extremely dull and boring

But you're right, plenty of teams have replaced navy for royal, which in most cases is much better. Still, I would have liked them to make seafoam green their primary color at the very least. Not enough color variety in this league where there isn't even a purple team anymore. We didn't really need another navy team

100% agree. Maybe just as simple as switching the ice blue/seafoam color and navy on the home jersey and boom, you have a winner. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Unis look great on the ice, but they still need something on the collar. The ice blue would look great up there.

Given some of the brutal collars we've gotten since the Adidas switch, we should probably consider ourselves lucky.

And I actually don't mind the lack of a collar because they use such a big logo. It's small, but having that extra bit of white on the away jersey makes the size of the logo less noticable.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:45 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I would go with ice blue(seafoam) as the primary colour with matching helmets for more distinctiveness. The sleeves can be designed like the Metropolitans' jerseys. I would try and merge the Kraken S with the Space Needle anchor secondary for the main logo on a future alt.

every single one of those sounds like a downgrade. 

Seattle's uniforms are fine. Still getting Seagram vibes but it works. 

I'm not opposed to a Metropolitans throwback- and I'd even say it's necessary- but they need to just go with a straight throwback. Don't try to merge the Metros' historical look with the Kraken's identity. It'll be a mess.  

On 9/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, officeglenn said:

If I may...

You beat me to it: barberpole in team colors. Nod to the Metropolitans without diluting the current identity, gets away from solid navy blue without leaning too hard on seafoam green or red, which can't carry the uniform.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, Gothamite said:

Even as a third, it all sounds like a downgrade from their regular look.  

Maybe an ice blue jersey could work as a third, but logo mash-ups rarely work. 

Thankfully, someone’s already done the work and proven your point.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yeah, that ain't it. Those logos obviously weren't designed to work as an interlock and I hate that people are trying to force it, especially when the negative space in the S is very clearly a tentacle and interrupting it hurts the S monogram.

the user formerly known as cdclt

People who think they're being clever by meddling with professionally designed logos make me laugh. They almost always look ugly/miss the idea behind the construction of the original design.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yes, but that poor sea monster has been stabbed right through its belly.

Nah - the tentacles are just wrapped around the anchor.

It's fine. I'd establish the brand first and introduce a third after a few seasons.  You get all the sales of home and away first, then bring on the alt.

It's where I sit.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, PlayGloria said:

100% agree. Maybe just as simple as switching the ice blue/seafoam color and navy on the home jersey and boom, you have a winner. 

Not only would I use the ice blue/seafoam as the primary colour of a 3rd jersey with matching helmets and socks but I would use it as a light colour. That would require visiting teams to wear their darks. Ice blue vs royal blue, green and even the Sharks' teals would make for very beautiful and unique uniform matchups. Like red vs yellow-gold matchups in the 80's.

I got my Kraken sweater this week. I LOVE it. It has a phenomenal color combination, the primary logo looks superb and the secondary fits perfectly on the shoulders. A modern classic.

An interesting thing about the inaugural season patch: it looks like it’s Mount Baker and not Mount Rainier on it. If that’s intentional it’s pretty awesome because while I love Rainier it’s a pretty cliché thing to associate with Seattle. Like Pike Place fish throwing or the needle itself. Baker, on the other hand is further North and more associated with Everett, which is a great WHL hockey town. Plus it’s visible to our rivals up in Vancouver. The only way to get a more obscure volcano on there would be Glacier Peak, but most locals can’t even recognize that.

spacer.png

Another cool thing was on the team store bag “Seattle” is in the Kraken font and not the font they usually have on the wordmark. I kind of like it better that way. (Although the Ts are super basic) Funnily enough “team store” is in the “Seattle” font.

spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived