NFL 2020

FormerLurker

3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Aside from looking worse, it clearly has a huge disadvantage for the player wearing it. I mean, without an undershirt, this play is a 5 yard gain instead of a sack

You’d think the coaching staff would show this film in a team meeting and tell them they’re tucking in their shirts from here on out.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Aside from looking worse, it clearly has a huge disadvantage for the player wearing it. I mean, without an undershirt, this play is a 5 yard gain instead of a sack

I have long suspected that modern jersey style, tighttightTIGHT with no sleeves, had become more about players wanting to look cool than anything else.  The untucked undershirts only confirms that.

16 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I watch a lot of football and I don't feel as if I have ever identified a player by their TV number even one time. You can almost always see either their front or back. The shoulders are fine for TV numbers anyways. I just think it's weird that some NFL jerseys don't have any identifying marks on them at all. No other sport has anything like that. No wordmark, no logo, no nothing. I think in the NFL that shouldn't be the case, except in some instances due to tradition.

Have you ever watched a game from the stands or the press box and couldn't rely on someone to tell you who a player was? I have. TV numbers serve a purpose.  I get that not everyone uses them. The fact that you don't doesn't invalidate their existence. 

By your own words you can almost always see the front or back numbers. I think it is more often than that, but the TV numbers serve their purpose when you can't see the front or back numbers.

It's where I sit.

Possibly the worst example of the stupid t-shirt fad.

SYX5XHUBGFG6TOJ4SQGH3IOWPA.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Possibly the worst example of the stupid t-shirt fad.

SYX5XHUBGFG6TOJ4SQGH3IOWPA.jpg

... and social distancing.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 10/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, Gothamite said:

I have long suspected that modern jersey style, tighttightTIGHT with no sleeves, had become more about players wanting to look cool than anything else.  The untucked undershirts only confirms that.

I don't think that confirms that at all. They have nothing to do with each other. 

Tight jerseys are the result of players requesting tighter jerseys over decades of play. Teams literally had seamstress alter jerseys to players liking to make them less grabbable and less bothersome. Anyone who's played any level of football can tell you that less fabric is much less annoying to play in. 

I'm not a fan of the untucked undershirt, fwiw. 

1 hour ago, shaydre1019 said:

I don't think that confirms that at all. They have nothing to do with each other. 

Tight jerseys are the result of players requesting tighter jerseys over decades of play. Teams literally had seamstress alter jerseys to players liking to make them less grabbable and less bothersome. Anyone who's played any level of football can tell you that less fabric is much less annoying to play in. 

I'm not a fan of the untucked undershirt, fwiw. 

But if the players cared so much to have the jerseys tailored to make them less grabbable, then why would they wear an undershirt that's exponentially more grabbable?  Seems to counteract that argument - which was one that I used to believe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BBTV said:

But if the players cared so much to have the jerseys tailored to make them less grabbable, then why would they wear an undershirt that's exponentially more grabbable?  Seems to counteract that argument - which was one that I used to believe.

Exactly.  Thank you. 

Actions speak louder than words.  And wearing those undershirts speaks particularly loudly. 

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

Bc you're generalizing all players. Not every player does this. And like i stated earlier jerseys have been getting tighter for decades. Those undershirts have only started to appear the last few years. 

And even then, the most important grab parts are the shoulder/sleeve area, and those are the parts that have gotten tighter and tighter. When blocking you're taught to grab at the chest, not the waistband or possible hanging undershirt. If being tackled by your undershirt became a regular occurrence, i promise you players would stop doing it. 

Why wouldn't these same players all wear QB style loose sleeves? 

As soon as one of the clowns loostenes his sleeves, the others will follow.  Hell, maybe they'll start wearing oversized basketball shorts over top of their tights too.

1 hour ago, shaydre1019 said:

Bc you're generalizing all players. Not every player does this. And like i stated earlier jerseys have been getting tighter for decades. Those undershirts have only started to appear the last few years. 

And even then, the most important grab parts are the shoulder/sleeve area, and those are the parts that have gotten tighter and tighter. When blocking you're taught to grab at the chest, not the waistband or possible hanging undershirt. If being tackled by your undershirt became a regular occurrence, i promise you players would stop doing it. 

Why wouldn't these same players all wear QB style loose sleeves? 

Maybe when blocking, but tackling you are taught to get low and wrap around the body. I’ve seen plenty of times people get dragged, or at a minimum held up by getting grabbed by the bottom of the jersey. An undershirt might be able to rip easier but it’s still not something I’d want if I was playing. I remember a time when players would get fined or even no allowed on the field if they didn’t have their jerseys tucked in, and socks at the appropriate height, now players and the NFL don’t care.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

As soon as one of the clowns loostenes his sleeves, the others will follow.  Hell, maybe they'll start wearing oversized basketball shorts over top of their tights too.

I get you’re super passionate about this topic, but it’s not really as deep as what you’re positioning it to be. What it boils down to is comfort 99% of the time. Not every body likes to have their clothes tucked in. Especially for 4+ hours drenched in sweat.

39 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I get you’re super passionate about this topic, but it’s not really as deep as what you’re positioning it to be. What it boils down to is comfort 99% of the time. Not every body likes to have their clothes tucked in. Especially for 4+ hours drenched in sweat.

Players had no issues tucking in jerseys for the 100 years before they started doing this trend

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

But here's the thing - football jerseys haven't been tucked in for nearly 20 years now, and they never looked like this.

Uniwatch had a story about how the mid-aughts Eagles were among the first teams to tailor their jerseys with elastic on the bottom so that they could be untucked but still be tight and present the "tucked appearance.  Pretty much everyone followed that, with the exception of a few linemen here and there.

So it has nothing about not wanting anything tucked, because jerseys don't tuck anyway.  They could easily wear a shorter version of the shirt that's hidden by the jersey, or even have it turned into a liner if they just really like the smooth fabric.  It's just because it's a trend, and some dummies just won't allow themselves to be out clowned by other dummies.  

From what I've heard, the jersey can be tight around the bottom so the undershirt works as a barrier to make the players more comfortable. Does it look a little sloppy? Generally, yes. Is it a big deal? Not in most cases. If it makes the player a bit more comfortable, doesn't extend too far, and is the same color as the jersey or pants, I just don't care. 

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

Ochocinco tried doing that with his sleeves once for the looks. He had the equipment manager alter his sleeves on the sideline mid game bc he kept getting tossed around. 

Archived