Houston Dynamo (MLS) & Houston Dash (NWSL) rebranding.

BrySmalls

The Houston Dynamo are weighing a potential rebrand that could include changes to their crest, team colors and team name, according to a report from The Athletic on Wednesday.

When contacted by MLSsoccer.com, the Dynamo provided the same statement given to The Athletic by the club's chief marketing officer Katie Scallan, who said that the club would continue to explore ways to better connect with the local community.

“From a marketing standpoint, we are always looking for ways to innovate our brand and connect with our fans,” she said. “One way we can do that is by doing a better job of representing the Houston community and tapping into the culture of our city.”

After back-to-back years of failing to make the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, the Dynamo are currently riding high under first-year coach Tab Ramos. Following three straight victories, Houston currently occupy a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

If the changes do take place, the Dynamo will have several examples of MLS rebrands to take inspiration from. Most recently, this past offseason, the Chicago Fire unveiled a new team crest as they embraced a new era with a return to Soldier Field.

Source

Their crest does need an upgrade, but please keep the orange color. Using Chicago Fire's rebrand is not a good source of inspiration.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated in the general thread -- real case of misplaced priorities. The name and colors aren't the problem, the problem is that their stadium bakes in the sun and they've put out garbage teams for a decade and maybe their marketing team needs to get fired.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I've always liked their identity and the colors in particular. I guess that the weakest element of it has always been the name, but I don't see a need for a change. Really though, please don't go Houston FC, Houston SC, Houston United, etc

spacer.png

I really like the colors, I'm apathetic on the name, but that crest is just not good in my opinion. I'd like to see it simplified but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they don't. As others have said this is a major case of misplaced priorities.

the user formerly known as cdclt

If they get rid of Dynamo, you can almost guarantee it will be something along the lines of United, FC, or SC. I don't know what color scheme they would come up with, but I would think of it as a downgrade given the rarity of orange in MLS.

I really like the name. I recall being impressed at the time that the club pulled out a better-than-decent brand after having to shelve its original name and logo, Houston 1836, after a public outcry.

I also like the colors, though I feel any football club draping itself in orange should at least attempt to emulate the Dutch. Seems wrong to see such plodding in those colors. 

The logo, though, could be given a makeover. It's unremarkable at best, and has no real defining character. It's certainly a product of its time, being the same mid- to late-2000s era that produced FC Dallas and Colorado Rapids, among others. 

Dynamo is at least a unique euro-name. And they won two titles with it! How about just doing better community outreach or bring in a well known USMNT or Mexico natl team player.

This sounds like a terrible idea. Probable name: Houston City United SC

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Yeah the colors are unique and need to stay. I don't think the Dynamo name fits particularly well (but I 100% prefer it over FC, SC, United, City, etc.), and I frankly think the crest is not good.

I have a soft spot for the crest that came with the aborted 1836 identity. Obviously they can't use the 1836 name, but a star-shaped badge is a cool idea, especially for a team from Houston.

Houston Dynamo Flashback Series: Houston 1836

The team name isnt the problem with connecting with the community. The :censored:ty product that has been put out there for years is the problem. They were filling the stadium up when they were competitive. No one wants to go sit and bake in BBVA Stadium to watch bad soccer.

I wouldnt mind a redone logo, but please keep the colors. They are unique and well liked here. I'm sure most are indifferent to the name, but they have had it long enough that when you say Dynamo here, people know who you are talking about. Re-naming the team will force them to start from scratch with educating the community on who the team is. Perhaps they have seen the success from new teams entering the league so they got the wild idea of acting like we got a new team will bring people in.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

How about Houston Stolen Team FC?

Maybe move back to San José and dump the Fake Quakes into Houston?

45 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

They should go back to their roots and bring back the San Jose Earthquakes name. 

Y'all, San Jose got the Quakes back 12 years ago, I think we can move on.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

Y'all, San Jose got the Quakes back 12 years ago, I think we can move on.

They're the Fake Quakes, who had titles gifted to them by MLS and are largely terrible. Houston Stolen Team FC won two titles after moving. We can still be bitter and hold it against them.

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Go ahead and rebrand. 

Dynamo Houston

This is what I thought they should have done in the first place.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They're the Fake Quakes, who had titles gifted to them by MLS and are largely terrible. Houston Stolen Team FC won two titles after moving. We can still be bitter and hold it against them.

You sound like someone took your Pokémon cards at recess

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

Archived