NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

38 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

Looks like the NFL numbering system will be changed, allowing WRs and DBs to wear numbers in the single digits among other changes. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1379101684912123910?s=20

Garbage.

• Like 6
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/3/2021 at 5:43 PM, DNAsports said:

Y’all really think this-

spacer.png

looks better than this?

spacer.png

IMO, anytime a helmet and facemask are the same color (outside of white and black), it looks very cheap.

I think the factor making the top helmet look “cheap” compared to the bottom is more the finish of the helmet than the facemask being purple. If the bottom helmet had a satin purple facemask, I think it would look just fine.

I will admit though, this comparison did make me question a bit whether a purple facemask would be better. Personally I think I’d be happy either way for the Vikings.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ssj_homeslice said:

Looks like the NFL numbering system will be changed, allowing WRs and DBs to wear numbers in the single digits among other changes

What's wrong with the NFL's current numbering system? 😶

• Like 5

6uXNWAo.png

If the NFL loosens the number restrictions, what are the odds some players are locked in to their current number due to merchandising? Didn’t we see a problem with LeBron James unable to swap to #6 because Nike had produced too many #23 jerseys?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Cujo said:

What's wrong with the NFL's current numbering system? 😶

Nothing. 

1) with the bigger covid rosters, teams that retired a lot of numbers had issues

2) young WRs don't want to wear "old guy" numbers in the 80s, even if they're available.

Neither of those is the fault of the numbering system... which has already been expanded to give more options to WRs, TEs, and LBs.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

57 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Nothing. 

1) with the bigger covid rosters, teams that retired a lot of numbers had issues

2) young WRs don't want to wear "old guy" numbers in the 80s, even if they're available.

Neither of those is the fault of the numbering system... which has already been expanded to give more options to WRs, TEs, and LBs.

I think the prevalence of the spread offense and the fact that so many players fit into a hybrid skill player mold these days has pretty much made the traditional system obsolete. With that being said, I did appreciate the fact that the nfl over the 20th century brought some additional structure to the pro game that set it apart from college. With the uniform guidelines being heavily relaxed and now this, the visual distinction from college is becoming less and less which is a bit of a disappointment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I think the factor making the top helmet look “cheap” compared to the bottom is more the finish of the helmet than the facemask being purple. If the bottom helmet had a satin purple facemask, I think it would look just fine.

I will admit though, this comparison did make me question a bit whether a purple facemask would be better. Personally I think I’d be happy either way for the Vikings.

Regardless of facemask, the current Vikings helmet with the satin finish is miles ahead of the gloss helmet. When they fixed the color to match the jersey, they made it perfect

• Like 8

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

54 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I think the prevalence of the spread offense and the fact that so many players fit into a hybrid skill player mold these days has pretty much made the traditional system obsolete. With that being said, I did appreciate the fact that the nfl over the 20th century brought some additional structure to the pro game that set it apart from college. With the uniform guidelines being heavily relaxed and now this, the visual distinction from college is becoming less and less which is a bit of a disappointment.

You're not wrong - but players still have "primary" responsibilities, and I liked looking at an athletic-looking chap wearing 56 and just knowing that he was a LB, or a big white guy in the 80s and knowing he was a TE, or a guy wearing 12 and knowing he was a QB. 

Defense is totally a mess and there's tons of hybridity there, but on offense, while you have RBs spreading out, TEs (and sometimes WRs) occasionally in the backfield, and gimmicky crap, it's not that different a game from when the system was devised.

Seeing some giant beast sacking the QB while wearing an iconic QB number like 12 will take a lot of time to get used to.

• Like 5

On 4/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, BBTV said:

2) young WRs don't want to wear "old guy" numbers in the 80s

They also want PI after every play -- so let's just make that happen too

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, ssj_homeslice said:

Looks like the NFL numbering system will be changed, allowing WRs and DBs to wear numbers in the single digits among other changes. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1379101684912123910?s=20

I'm expecting to see a lot of WRs wearing number 1 now.

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

If the NFL loosens the number restrictions, what are the odds some players are locked in to their current number due to merchandising? Didn’t we see a problem with LeBron James unable to swap to #6 because Nike had produced too many #23 jerseys?

I don't know about that. If anything they might be in favour of it because it gives them an opportunity to sell the same jersey again, the ones with the old number would likely just go on sale like when a player is traded.

18 minutes ago, Cujo said:

They also want PI after every play -- so let's just male that happen too

Honestly, that's so annoying that I wish there was some way to penalize it.  I also wish that PI wasn't so subjective and over-called that it's worth it to them to beg for it every play.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Honestly, that's so annoying that I wish there was some way to penalize it.  I also wish that PI wasn't so subjective and over-called that it's worth it to them to beg for it every play.  

Maybe if PI were a 15-yard penalty rather than a spot foul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags