2021-22 NBA Changes

3 hours ago, BigDmo said:

Try telling that to Blazer fans. Bad take

Don't care, still dumb.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

But to call “Rip City” stupid in it of itself is, in my opinion, quite ignorant when it’s something that came about organically in the franchise’s very first season in 1971.

Ok. I don't care how it came about. I think it's dumb. Am I allowed to have that opinion?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yep, so long as I’m allowed to have the opinion that your opinion is dumb. 

Sure. Go ahead.

Thing is...they put it on a jersey. Which is part of a set of jerseys. And I decided to give an opinion on all of them. My opinion was that this "Rip City" thing is dumb. And the Blazers' jersey wasn't even the only one I said I didn't like. Yet the Oregon people are getting up in arms because of a list of opinions I had on jerseys one opinion about their team wasn't nice.

It's a public forum. People will disagree with you. Probably best to not get worked up about it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

NOLA, the Clippers and the Wolves could totally build new identities around these jerseys. They are beautiful.

I think even the Nets could if they'd go back to navy and red.

totally agree. especially on the pelicans part. the fan base has been dying for a new jersey set especially since they teased it a while back. the fan base has been pretty heated about how we keep getting jerseys that could work as a main set but never get jerseys that are actually special 

Spoiler

F3-DAF66-D-FA40-462-A-BA3-B-4-C8-BBF8-E3

id also add the grizzlies to that list. i'm honestly surprised their main two jerseys arent around the same design as the baby blue statement jersey (and this years city jersey)

9 hours ago, sharplcd said:

VAZOU these are gorgeous! Thank you San Antonio! We deserved these after years and years of camo 

spacer.png

edit: first look at Houston & Portland

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Spurs one is my absolute favorite.

Really like the Wolves, Nets, Hawks, Sixers, Lakers and Bucks too.

The only really terrible ones are Miami and OKC.

Don't understand why Orlando used orange and not blue either.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

Sure. Go ahead.

Thing is...they put it on a jersey. Which is part of a set of jerseys. And I decided to give an opinion on all of them. My opinion was that this "Rip City" thing is dumb. And the Blazers' jersey wasn't even the only one I said I didn't like. Yet the Oregon people are getting up in arms because of a list of opinions I had on jerseys one opinion about their team wasn't nice.

It's a public forum. People will disagree with you. Probably best to not get worked up about it.

That’s all fine, and I respect that you and some others on here don’t like the Rip City monicker (whether it’s on a jersey or not). I also realize you were commenting on all of this year’s City uniforms and not just the Blazers, and to be fair I wasn’t the original person to single out that part of your comment.

My main issue with people not liking the Rip City name, and the thing I do get worked up about, is when it’s conflated with other city nicknames or abbreviations like Buzz City, The Valley, OKC, or even Motor City. To me what sets Rip City apart from all of those is these two things: it came about organically in the organization’s infancy instead of as part of a marketing campaign, and it’s a nickname that is wholly specific to the Blazers instead of being a general nickname or abbreviation for the city/area. I understand people not liking it on a jersey, but for Blazers fans and people in this area it’s a deep and meaningful thing. I do get that people who aren’t from here or who aren’t Blazers fans won’t necessarily understand or appreciate that.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

That’s all fine, and I respect that you and some others on here don’t like the Rip City monicker (whether it’s on a jersey or not). I also realize you were commenting on all of this year’s City uniforms and not just the Blazers, and to be fair I wasn’t the original person to single out that part of your comment.

My main issue with people not liking the Rip City name, and the thing I do get worked up about, is when it’s conflated with other city nicknames or abbreviations like Buzz City, The Valley, OKC, or even Motor City. To me what sets Rip City apart from all of those is these two things: it came about organically in the organization’s infancy instead of as part of a marketing campaign, and it’s a nickname that is wholly specific to the Blazers instead of being a general nickname or abbreviation for the city/area. I understand people not liking it on a jersey, but for Blazers fans and people in this area it’s a deep and meaningful thing. I do get that people who aren’t from here or who aren’t Blazers fans won’t necessarily understand or appreciate that.

That's more than fair.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

totally agree. especially on the pelicans part. the fan base has been dying for a new jersey set especially since they teased it a while back. the fan base has been pretty heated about how we keep getting jerseys that could work as a main set but never get jerseys that are actually special 

Reveal hidden contents

F3-DAF66-D-FA40-462-A-BA3-B-4-C8-BBF8-E3

id also add the grizzlies to that list. i'm honestly surprised their main two jerseys arent around the same design as the baby blue statement jersey (and this years city jersey)

Honestly, the Pelicans' uniforms aren't the problem, it's the boring generic color scheme that's the problem.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6 hours ago, IceCap said:

Knicks- First gotta love the super self-conscious NYC behind the Nike swoosh as if to say "WE'RE STILL NEW YORK'S TEAM" nearly a decade after the Nets moved into the city.

Nike's been using that NYC/swoosh since the '90s. Here it is on a pair of Air Force 1s from 1997, for example:

spacer.png

Needless to say, it has nothing to do with the Nets.

• Like 11

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here are some of my thoughts ...

1) I would have much rather had a 100% throwback or reverse retro-esque batch of jerseys. Most of these "mixtape" jerseys are extremely forced and trying too hard to be unique (looking at you Miami with your ransom note and yellow trim).

2) There are some jerseys that I kind of like and IMO could work as an alt (with a tweak or two of course) ..

• Detroit - I'm more so intrigued with the use of teal on the blue and red. It kind of works.
  • Boston - Nothing offensive about it and I like the name plates on the back. I could see the Celtics keeping a throwback-ish alt. in this style around for a while.
  • Toronto - I am not crazy about the Drake colors, but I love the nod to the Barney jerseys and '19 championship.
  • Minnesota - The two tone colorway kind of ruins it for me, but eliminate that and it would be a Top 10 jersey for me.
  • New York - Get rid of the Nike NYC and MSG logos and I think it works as an alt. Maybe add some blue into there, but I love the simplicity of it.

3) The jerseys that just don't work IMO are ...

• Atlanta - I hate the two number font look, which don't match with the text fonts at all. No cohesion at all.
  • Houston - I think I would be okay with this if the number was in a different font. I get what it's representing, but it's so jarring ordinary that it kills the jersey for me.
  • Dallas - The Dallas text is too mushed together and small that it really looks like an after thought (which it very well could have been) on that jersey cut and design. 
  • San Antonio - The fiesta colorway feels and is waaaay too forced. I feel like it would been better executed on a black jersey as well.
  • Sacramento - The Sactown script, especially that "S" looks really amateur. I also wish the names were under the number on the back. And, where's the baby blue?
  • Charlotte - The hive to pinstripe is supposed to be cool, right? It's just waaaay over designed. And, why isn't there a Bobcats nod? Or am I missing something?
  • Oklahoma City - The design isn't THAT bad. The lack of color would be excusable IF they didn't have that huge ass Love's ad taking front and center! 
  • Brooklyn - Maybe I am used to the black and white Brooklyn Nets now, but the R,W,B look feels odd to me. Maybe if the blue was baby blue or royal blue? It just feels dull.

4) As forced as the Miami jersey feels to me, I think it works within the program. It's crazy and out there enough that the mismatched numbers and fonts work. But, just for this year. We don't need to see this return in any shape or form.

5) I am bummed that the Jazz, Pelicans and Suns didn't participate. I think the Pelicans could have done something that nodded to the Jazz and Hornets. I would love to see if there was a Jazz prototype out there. A Jazz note jersey in the '90s colors would have been interesting. 

6) I wonder if we're going to see a mashup design of past ASG jerseys? I have a feeling we might. Could be interesting if they decide to mashup past Cleveland ASG designs or ASG designs in general.

• Like 3

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

41 minutes ago, kimball said:

• Charlotte - The hive to pinstripe is supposed to be cool, right? It's just waaaay over designed. And, why isn't there a Bobcats nod? Or am I missing something?

There is a Bobcats nod, apparently, the left-aligned numbers are a nod to the old Cats unis. In general it seems like both the Hornets and Pelicans are content to sort of keep the past in the past (i.e. no Pels nods to the Hornets and no Hornets nods to the Cats) which is fine by me. There's a small display for the Bobcats in Spectrum Center and the team has been including Bobcats players in their celebrations, like the 30th a couple years ago. No clue what the Pelicans have done regarding that. It's sort of a "yeah it happened but we don't really put it front and center" which is how it should be treated in my opinion.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Charlotte's are growing on me, though I still hate the gradient. I'd be more than happy to grab a shirt with the script on it.

The shorts are pretty cool (and arguably look better without the stripes). Good to see old Hugo on the side

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Initial thoughts on the 28 "Mixtape" Sets for the NBA's 75th:

Teams that I really like:

Hawks*, Pacers, Blazers, Bulls*, 76ers, Raptors, Lakers, Kings, Clippers, T'Wolves, Nuggets*, & Nets.

Teams that could use a tweak or two:

Atlanta: The two different numeral fonts  is pretty weird, choosing one or the other would be preferred, but I still really enjoy this set, glad they chose yellow as the uniform base.

Cleveland: Biggest miss was using a logo on the front of the jersey, instead of a wordmark or script, namely the 2003 wordmark. Solid blend, otherwise.

Chicago: My biggest critique is that the front numerals sit wayyyy too low underneath the script. I understand that it falls underneath the history of previous sets they've worn, but it really throws off an otherwise clean look for the Bulls.

Memphis: I feel like they could've doused this in the Vancouver color scheme; throwbacks did so well last season, why not capitalize off of that?

Detroit: I think separating the blue and teal by way of the color white would help ease the bleeding of the colors onto the red uniform itself.

Milwaukee: Could've been more successful if they could clean up the differing elements into a more cohesive flow. The pieces are distinct, but there are some rough edges that needed some refining.

Boston: The illegibility of the wordmark and numerals from afar hurt this look. Besides, I wish they'd dabble a bit more into featuring gold into some of their one-off sets, reminiscent of their former St. Patrick's Day set.

San Antonio: Just have the fiesta colors separated, with the color black to support them. I don't find cohesion in loud, bright colors touching one another(namely in how they touch on the numerals), especially when they're on a bright background such as white.

Orlando: I'm sure we're all batting 1.000 on this...... Just put this in your regular color scheme.

Denver: They should've made the collar and cuff pattern match the colors of the wordmark and numerals. Having it go Yellow/Light Blue/Navy really irks me. Otherwise, I love this set, jersey and shorts.

Charlotte: I like that they gave spotlight to the elements that are most prominent to the Hornets' history, but you have to pick an element to be your primary, there's too much clashing between the gradient, the honeycomb, and the pinstripes on the jersey. I do appreciate the wishbone collar nod, though.

Golden State: Black should never be the base color for a set for a team like Golden State. Only options should have been yellow, blue, or white. Even orange could've been an option, in lieu to the 2000s set.

NY Knicks: As I said for GS, black should never be the base color for a team like the Knicks. Black has had a short stint in their uniform lineage, using blue would've sufficed. As far as the design, I'd have gone a different route to make reference to maybe their 1979-80 set, as it's probably the most unique set when looking through their uniform lineage. Missed opportunity to use the interlocking NY and whatnot.

Team that missed the mark (or just bad):

The Thunder.

Meh:

Pelicans (no fault of their own, given their history as the Pelicans), Mavericks, Rockets, Wizards, & Heat.

I would've liked to have seen more home-oriented sets among the 28 participants. 

• Like 2